+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Once you are pregnant and while you are still working stock up on expensive things like toiletries and cleaning products. That way you won't have to spend as much on groceries once you are off work. I stocked up on cleaning stuff and toilet paper etc before I went on maternity leave with DS1 for a year and we didn't need to buy anything like that the whole time I was at home. Definitely made the grocery bill smaller!

I agree with stocking up on frozen meals and snacks even. Do some big cook ups and freeze things into portions. You can freeze muffins and things like that too for an easy snack. Very useful when you have a newborn bub too!

Buying second hand baby items is a big money saver. They don't need everything brand new. You can pick up some bargains on gumtree and local buy/sell Facebook pages. You can also make some money by selling things you no longer need on these pages too.

Buy nappies when on special, and baby wipes. Or if you want to save even more then perhaps look into using cloth nappies once you have a bub. Massive savings once you spend the initial outlay of buying up the nappies. A friend of mine makes her own baby wipes (take a look on Pinterest and I'm sure you will find the how to). You could also make your own cleaning products to save more money.

Shop around for your groceries, fruit and veg if you can. Woollies and Coles aren't always the cheapest option for fresh produce. See if you have farmers markets in your area that you could go to. Stick to a list when grocery shopping (meal planning helps) so that you aren't spending extra dollars on impulse buys. I find doing it online I don't have the chance to impulse buy as much.

I have been a SAHM pretty much since DS1 was born. I did go back to work for 3 months after my year off with him but I was already pregnant with DS2, so then went on leave again and haven't gone back. I'm very lucky that my husband earns enough that we can live comfortably without my income. We have a mortgage and car loan, the. Just regular bills. I have everything direct debited monthly or fortnightly. Some money goes directly into savings account when hubby gets paid. I put a set amount of money on big bills like water, electricity and rates every fortnight so when the bill comes I am in credit or only have a small amount left to pay. The only large bills we get are the vehicle registrations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We rent. Meal plan. Budget well and still enjoy most luxuries I must say

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a single mum
    I stick to a really tight budget :/
    Then my toddler does annoying things like break stuff and I have to stuff up the budget

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    While your planning a bub is the perfect time to write down all your expenses and work out whats a necessity and what you can do without.
    We break our bills down into a weekly amount and bpay them weekly so by the time our bill comes out we are most likely in credit or only a lil bit to pay.
    We have a lot of bank accounts off our main one (fee free ones) that we use for different savings (holidays, car rego/insur etc) money goes into them each week so we dont need to find big amounts or use credit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are currently renting which we hate and we are moving to a cheaper rental soon. We don't eat out often, I haven't had a hair cut since my first daughter was born, we don't do date nights, we shop at aldi for most stuff, meat wholesaler and Costco to save money. Family outings are mostly to free places and we just get by.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm mostly a stay at home mum. I have my own business but do most of it whilst at home (apart from face to face clients - for the record I'm a personal trainer).

I mean plan, we do up a budget each month (which I find is really helping with my spending habits!), I think before i spend (sure I'd love that new top but I could put that towards a family outing etc), I'm working on different aspects of my business that will allow some extra income to come in without seeing too many clients, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Argh I replied to this earlier and I don't think it posted, anyway,
    Everything bills and rent comes out of direct debit.
    Entertainment is Xbox and tablets or mobile phones so arcade games and pre owned or cheap games are brought, or the Google app store free gsmes, we also use BSS Facebook pages same as what others have said.
    My DD'S are fussy eaters and won't eat half of what I cook that's healthy which is a hard one, won't eat veggies either of them. I offer it but rarely gets eaten so unfortunately they end up just snacking it's not so great and means more snacks brought. My school aged DD is fussy with her lunchbox too, leaves anything that is remotely good for you.
    Hardly ever get takeaway, if so it's on special or cheap deal days.
    Hardly ever have haircuts or any of those things. Will get clippers on my DS'S hair.
    Get groceries mainly that are on special and clothing while on sale or specials.
    Go to the park for a free day out.
    Try and get alot of things from Aldi, which usually works out cheaper, or Chemist Warehouse where alot of toiletries, razors and deodorants are alot cheaper.
    Last edited by zoz; 02-02-2015 at 13:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We rent but also have a mortgage and tenant in nz it has nearly killed us in the past but now the tenanted rent does cover the mortgage thank god for small mercies, family members do ask us what we want for xmas for the children so we will ask for more expensive items such as lego.
    Garage sales are great for children who have a small budget of their own our kids really appreciate being able to pick out something which doesn't cost the earth.
    We threatened to cut foxtel (we both love sport) even on a cheap plan and they panicked offering us an even cheaper deal again, bargain with everything.
    A friend of ours helps out on a saturday doing house removals for a company and that $25 an hour helps them to desperately pay off bills etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies 😊 i really appreciate everyones advice 👍