+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default For Stay at Home Mums

For stay at home mums - how do you afford to be a sahm, and what are your weekly expenses vs your weekly incomings.

Sorry if this is a little personal ladies.

TIA 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    We rent

I have everything come out direct debit so there are never any big bills

We live frugally - I don't get my nails done, we don't really go out to dinner

We don't use credit ever, everything is paid in cash (although we're hoping for a car loan soon)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    We have very cheap rent because we live in a tiny granny flat.
    I cook most of our dinners, we rarely go out for dinner though we do get takeaway occasionally.
    We would be doing really well if DF could learn to stick to the budget we make together

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    We have a small mortgage
    Scarface for what is important for us that private schooling for our 6 kids.
    Eating out is really rare. I have to save for a meal out about 2 months as it will be at least 180 for a sizzler meal.
    Take out is carefully picked but we do it fairly regularly maybe once a fortnight in school terms and maybe weekly on holidays.
    Meal plan.
    Cheaper meals

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    We rent but I have to say we could be paying off a mortgage at a lower rate.
    I bake at least 50% of our snacks and the other half is thing like fruit and veg.
    If we do get takeaway I usually give the kids a "special dinner" like nuggets, chips and veg and then once they're in bed df and I will indulge in our favourite takeaway.
    I don't spend a lot of money on myself. I think it's been well over a year since I had my hair done, I don't get nails done or anything.
    ATM no kids are doing extra curricular activities, but I have to say if you want a fun activity for the whole family visit your local pool. My family of 5 paid $10.70 yesterday and that was to stay as long as we liked.
    I try not to buy too much packaged stuff at the supermarket.
    I have a favourite recipe website that is my go-to and is great for when I take meat out of the freezer and wonder what on earth to do with it. Before I was a sahm I would have just said "bugger it", left the meat in the freezer and bought takeaway.
    I utilise the local BSS pages on FB.
    Buy birthday presents early and space them out. Pore over the catalogues and look for great deals or bargains- toy sales, clearance sales etc.
    Not everything has to be brand new. We have a lot of DS, wii and in particular Skylanders stuff because we buy it second hand from places like EB games.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for everyone's replies so far ladies.
    We aren't UTD yet, but already looking at buying the majority of our nursery and baby stuff second hand to save money. It's so nice hearing from you all, as I cant really ask my friends these things and it really helps, so thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    We couldnt afford for me to be a SAHM when DS1 was born as DH was an apprentice so I worked nights (7pm-2am) which was rough!

Ive been a SAHM since DS2 was born 4.5 years ago. We rent (though mortgage would be around similar cost) I am frugal, I menu plan and check out sales etc. We dont have an expensive lifestyle, we rarely drink we dont smoke, when we eat out we go for specials nights ($10 steak night etc). We're quite lucky in that we can still afford for our boys to do extra curricular activities and DH and I take turns to go out with our friends (we rarely get to go together though) because DH works overtime a lot, especially at the moment as his work is crazy busy. But I alwayd make sure that our outgoings are no more than DH's base wage - I don't want to be dependent on the overtime pay because it wont always be there.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My best tip would be to be organised. Meal plan, pack your own lunches and snacks when you go out, have a coffee at home before you leave so you're not buying them. Freeze extra meals so you don't have to resort to take away. Find out about cheap or free activities in your area. Library rhyme times, playgroup etc. we have annual membership to the zoo and museums so we can always go without thinking about costs. 2 or 3 trips and they've paid for themselves.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (02-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have a small mortgage and go without having a brand new car or big holidays.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    My best tip would be to be organised. Meal plan, pack your own lunches and snacks when you go out, have a coffee at home before you leave so you're not buying them. Freeze extra meals so you don't have to resort to take away. Find out about cheap or free activities in your area. Library rhyme times, playgroup etc. we have annual membership to the zoo and museums so we can always go without thinking about costs. 2 or 3 trips and they've paid for themselves.
    All very good advice.