+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Advice on speaking to the principal please

Ok so my dd1 is in year 6 this year. She is a bright young girl who always gets good grades..except in year 3 where her grades suffered inmensly...her and her teacher just did not gel at all... also in year 3 she was constantly bullied by a particular girl....skip to now and she has the same teacher and the girl who bullied her in her class. She has been upset everyday since school started ( last Wednesday ) and has become very introverted since. I plan to speak to the principal tomorrow (or when i can get an appointment ) but am scared of coming across as the emotional mother...it has been suggested i write a letter outlining my concerns and asking for my daughter to be moved classes..wondering if anyone has advice on how to approach this and whether its even worth trying...I'm hoping because its so early in the year it will be possible. .any advice would be greatly appreciated please.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Putting it all in writing is a great idea as there is no denying what was said/requested in the future.
    All you can really do is present your case by stating the facts. If all fails on the school level you can always escalate it to the department of education.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I gather having a clear and frank discussion with the teacher has been tried in the past?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I gather having a clear and frank discussion with the teacher has been tried in the past?
    Yes...and she told me that girls will be girls and that my child will deal with people that don't like her all the life. .that we don't always get along with everybody.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    When we were toying with the idea of asking for DS1 to be moved to a different class, we were advised to just request he be moved and just say we feel it isnt a great fit for him, you have a right to request this, you only have to say as much as you're comfortable saying.

Sorry you're going through this, I had a gut mummy instinct to move DS1 last year and i didnt follow it - I regret it so much. My poor DS1 suffered so much last year. I wont ever make that mistake again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Also could you get someone to come with you for support? I was going with my DH in toe if DS1 got the same teacher again this year!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Also could you get someone to come with you for support? I was going with my DH in toe if DS1 got the same teacher again this year!
    Ill be taking my dp ( not her dad) because I've gotta try my hardest not to become emotional

8. The Following User Says Thank You to meljemillie For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by meljemillie View Post
    Ill be taking my dp ( not her dad) because I've gotta try my hardest not to become emotional
    I think that is why make the request in writing may be best. You can leave all emotion out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I am much the same, its hard! I was advised to just be firm and to the point - request your DD being moved and say that you feel it isnt a healthy/good fit for your daughter. If that doesnt work is there any way yoy coyld get a letter from a child psychologist or GP or something saying that its in your daughters best interest to be moved?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I think that is why make the request in writing may be best. You can leave all emotion out.
    So you think write a letter and pass it on to the principal?? Or still make an appointment? My other option is speaking to the vice principal who knows my daughter...our principal is only in his 2nd year so isn't familiar with all students. .although i don't want to come across as undermining him either...