Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    As a doctor myself, I agree with you to a certain extent. Duty of care is paramount. But...if the doctor had asked her "Any chance you could be pregnant?", and she had said no (and believe me, patients don't always tell the truth!!), then you would not pursue it.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I wondered this! Over the years Drs have asked me "any chance you could be pregnant" at many random appointments.
    The symptoms she described were consistent with other things.
    Drs might be trained, but they also rely on accurate information from patients to assist them!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

2Butterfly  (01-02-2015),Amgine  (01-02-2015),PomPoms  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You need an OP of 1 to be a vet. I don't know why it didnt cross her mind that she could be pregnant.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gamermummy For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (01-02-2015),SpecialPatrolGroup  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thinks it's a bit rubbish. I fell pregnant with DS1 at 22. I had no idea because I was on contraception. I saw a doctor because I felt Tired and threw up at work. He asked if I could be pregnant, I said I didn't think it was likely. No further mention of it. Badabum, two weeks later I took a pregnancy test and two pink lines! Only took it because I realised I was late.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by gamermummy View Post
    You need an OP of 1 to be a vet. I don't know why it didnt cross her mind that she could be pregnant.
    Nah. Not everywhere. Op here isn't that high for vets

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I feel really sad for her little girl, the poor kid is going to grow up thinking her mum didn't want her and blames her for ruining her life..

I know how that feels, both my parents did that to me its an awful way to grow up.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DizzyDaisy For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (01-02-2015),LaDiDah  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think this is ridiculous, if she didn't want the costs of raising a child she could have chosen adoption, I don't think 6 extra months would have made the cost of raising a child at her age any less troubling. My first child was unplanned and at 20, my own fault for not being more careful, sounds like she's looking for a meal ticket rather than better care of patients from the clinic to prevent it from happening to someone else, with her previous medical history I can see how they wouldn't jump to the conclusion of pregnancy. I get it kids are expensive but if you don't want to risk having one don't do things that might get you one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elaine Benes View Post
    I thinks it's a bit rubbish. I fell pregnant with DS1 at 22. I had no idea because I was on contraception. I saw a doctor because I felt Tired and threw up at work. He asked if I could be pregnant, I said I didn't think it was likely. No further mention of it. Badabum, two weeks later I took a pregnancy test and two pink lines! Only took it because I realised I was late.
    Exactly...and your doctor respected your answer, and moved on through his/her differential diagnoses.

You had the good sense to check yourself later with a HPT.

As doctors, we cannot insist you pee on a stick, nor insist you have bloods drawn. We can suggest it, and possibly cause offence in the process.

Patients have a responsibility to give as truthful an answer as possible, else one is jeopardizing the process, which is not in the patient's best interests.

This girl was sexually-active, hence pregnancy was always going to be a possibility. Unless she told this to her doctor, he/she would have taken her answer at face value. (And even a first year Medical student would know to ask this of any young woman with a non-specific illness, so I am fairly certain the question would have been asked).

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (01-02-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (01-02-2015),DizzyDaisy  (01-02-2015),LoveLivesHere  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Absolutely ridiculous. And the part about the age? What nonsense, of course some people get judgement for being a young mother but 22 isnt insanely young. I had DS1 at 22m

13. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She doesn't want the costs of raising her daughter? Cool give her to me, I'll cover them while I raise her!

This is pathetic, her poor daughter

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ThenThereWereThree For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    She's 22 now and the daughter is 3 years old. It said she fell pregnant in her first year of uni, so I'm going to guess that she was 18/19 when she had her.

If she's ashamed of being a young mum, then I'm going to have a guess that she may not have been willing to tell a random GP that she'd been having sex......
    ahh true, didnt think like that lol. Still think its ridiculous though, I feel for her poor daughter who will find out about all this one day and possibly feel very unwanted