+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help! Child Safety in the Car... WWYD?

So, I have exhausted my online search and really need some advice. I have a nearly 7 yo dd, a 2 yo dd and ds is on the way (due in April).

I recently upgraded dd2's seat to an infasecure comfi capri? (6m - 8yr) because she had outgrown her last one and I wanted something slim line to fit in the back. Btw - it is great I love it!

My dd1 (7yo) is technically old enough to be in a normal seat belt, so yesterday we did a test run to see how it would fit. She sat in the middle seat in the back (noting I will have to put a capsule in and out so she will have to be in the front () or in the middle in the back... to make putting the capsule in and out easier? I have a Toyota Rav4 and the middle seat belt comes from the roof of the car over the seat. We quickly realised that it is NOT going to work. The seatbelt is far too high on her neck (not safe) and not comfortable at all. So....

I have a dilemna. I can't seem to find a car seat that has an inbuilt harness that is tall enough to accommodate dd1 (just tested out dd2's seat for her as well given it is for up to 8yo) I really want her to have an inbuilt harness that can be done up like the baby's (ie: between the legs) because trying to find the seat belt between 3 car seats is a nightmare (bad enough now without a capsule in the way!)

I am buying the Baby Jogger City select package with the Maxi Cosi infant carrier to start with, then once ds outgrows the capsule he will be in an infasecure slim line seat too (and can go anywhere in the back)... I am hoping it will fit!

So,

1. are there any slim line car seats that I could use with dd1 that have an inbuilt harness? Or should I persist with her booster (clipping in an out)
    2. should I just reconfigure the car seats to fit everyone in their seats even though it is a pita every time we get in and out, (ie: lifting capsule over 2 seats etc) and/or
    3. how would you configure the back seat? Ie:

ds1 then dd2, then dd1 (dd1 is on the left of the car to avoid accidentally un clipping other seat belts as the other clips are on the right) OR
    dd2, then ds1, then dd1 OR something else?

Please help and thanks for reading!! )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try one of the new "g type" seats that are out. Safe & sound maxi guard or Infasecure evolve. Both will harness until approx 8 years, so could be the solution for your dd1 (depending on her seated torso height)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MyPossum For This Useful Post:

amyd  (01-02-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    A but different but I have two six year olds and dd is nearly 18 months.

My boys are in booster seats using the car seatbelts on either side of the car and dd is in the middle.

I have to stretch in a bit further to do up dd's harness but its ok. Plugging the boys' seatbelts in has become an art form that I'm quite good at now. Sure, there isn't a whole heap of room between the seats but its surprising how quickly you get used to it.

Could you put the baby on one side, your eldest on the other and your middle child in the middle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I have 3 DS's, 6.5, 4.5 and 19 months. DS1 is behind passenger seat (as we do school drop off so he gets himself out and doesnt have to climb over anyone) DS2 is in the middle in a harnessed seat and DS3 is on the drivers side (same configuration whrn DS3 was still in a capsule and then in his current seat in the rearward position).

I havr to either lean over DS3 to do up DS2's harness, or I do it from the front seat if DS3 is cranky cos he smacks me in the head sometimes lol.

I also have a smaller sized car, a VW Jetta, so not a huge amount of room but it works.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks @MyPossum - we have an infasecure designed for up to 8yo (for dd2) and dd1 doesn't fit, just tried it out this morning ..... Not sure about the other seat, may have to check it out, although its a hike to the nearest "baby" shop.
    @Nomsie, I am having a c section so don't really want to be pulling/pushing/leaning/straining to get seatbelts on and off (its a mission as you would know!) and am a bit worried about my recovery 3rd c sec time around.

DH works away so I will have to do it myself 2x a day every day for the school run and was hoping for an easier alternative! Argh - who said 3 was a good idea?

I am thinking that dd2 will have to go in the middle, she is still a bit of a wiggle worm and needs to be lifted into her seat etc but am worried about the physical strain on me! I just want to cry atm it is all too hard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can buy a seatbelt extender!
    You clip it into where your 7yo's lapsash belt would clip into, it makes it long enough so that it pokes up from between the 2 seats. Makes life SO much easier!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (01-02-2015)