+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Childhood speech apraxia

Has anyone had a toddler diagnosed with this? What did you do to help develop the speech? How often did you do speech therapy and what is your child's speech like now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think @WiseOldOwl 's little guy might have this (apologies if I'm wrong)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS hasn't been formally diagnosed yet but his speech therapist says he shows some tendencies of Apraxia. We are having weekly 30min sessions with his speech therapist funded by NDIS. We started fortnightly in May last year with private therapy after I had completed a Hanan Target Word program that didn't help us much. He now is much more willing to try to say something. He has a lot more words but still a lot of approximations (his sounds that he uses consistently for words). He has trouble knowing how to say a sound. That's the Apraxia part. For example he can't get /c/k/ sounds at all. He deletes and substitutes sounds so "car' sounds like "high". He uses lots of gestures, his own made up ones and a few Auslan signs. Not sure if any of this has helped but I'm happy to go into more detail if you'd like.
    Last edited by WiseOldOwl; 01-02-2015 at 08:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks.
    Yeah I'd like to know more. If that's okay?
    for my daughter is obviously part of her syndrome. ... usually thru don't secondary diagnose because global development delay is enough. We've been getting speech therapy since she was 4 weeks old for feeding and now for speech. She's 2. We go fortnightly but I'm wondering if that's enough.
    She's definitely tries to say words at times but cannot do it consistently. We do lots of other therapies too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 3yrs5mths now but was nearly 2 when we started with the Hanen program. He has been dx as severe speech delay of 2%. His receptive language is good it's just expressive that's the problem.

I'd amp ST up to weekly if you can, but only 30min sessions as they get too overwhelmed if it's longer. We have seen a huge leap since DS started weekly. In fact we started back this week after a 5 week break over Christmas and his speechie could not believe the change in him. She kept saying how chatty he was and responding with answers so much better. He has suddenly started imitating which has been a real battle for us. Now he is repeating things we say and things he hears on TV/movies. Even though the Hanen program we did didn't help us much at time in the year since doing it it has proved worth doing so if you can find one in your area it could help you with techniques to use. Are her therapies funded?
    Last edited by WiseOldOwl; 01-02-2015 at 14:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure our speechie can fit us in but I'm going to ask her I think.
    We currently get our speech with the enhanced care plan. .. And hopefully our better start funding will be through in the next week.
    We get all our therapies through DSQ (disability services qld) bit our speechie left last year and she's now private. (I had to wait til she didn't work there to go privately to see her!! Plus the other speechie at DSQ is a long term friend I've known for about 8 years do she was not allowed to take DDs caseload as apparently it was a conflict of interest. I was pretty p1ssed! !!!) They haven't hired a new speechie yet either so it's frustrating.
    We have done parts of Hanen program. .. We do a bit of PROMPT therapy and then hand over hand type stuff with baby sign.
    I have just gone back to work full time so I can't do sessions during the week anymore. We see our speech Saturday fortnight.
    Maybe I'm letting dd down if I don't pursue more.
    Did your little guy had trouble with eating and brushing teeth etc too? We've always put this down to her syndrome. .. And sensory stuff but having read a bit about it now I realise it may be too do with this.
    I'm not usually overwhelmed by her medical stuff to be honest. . Open heart surgeries.. weekly therapies...orthotics. ..OT. PT
    .. tons of appointments. ...
    But I feel really upset over her speech. And like I'm letting her down somehow. Logically I know this isn't true. But yeah.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS didn't have feeding problems as such but became an extremely fussy eater from about 12mths. This didn't start to improve until he was over 2 and still isn't wonderful but he gets by and is in a healthy weight range. He's fine with teeth brushing. I don't know if it would be suitable for your DD with her various challenges but I have recently found out that high strength omega3 supplements can help with a lot of delay problems including speech. The sweet spot is about 500mg EPA. I started DS on it about 3 weeks ago. It might be worth asking her health professionals about. As you are probably aware DS is in my foster care and was born a drug effected baby, we will never know if this is the cause of his delay or if he would have had it anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the info.
    I've never given her any supplements because she's already on quite a bit of medication and that's hard to get into her.
    I wish I could.