+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh and at my sisters wedding reception 10 years ago, a room full of people waited around for 2-3 hours for their food, eventually everyone got it but some peoples were still half frozen, and half of the group ended up with food poisoning (thankfully my sister, family and myself were ok) they were shut down a few weeks later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For DSDs communion we went to an RSL club.
    It took 2 hours to get the starter, 3 hours to get the main... by then it was 9pm and all kids were exhausted. We asked about dessert (it was a set menu) and they said it would be out in a few minutes.
    We reminded them they had said that about the main 2 hours before it was brought out. The manager came and told us he was sorry but there was a 50th party with 50 guests that kept sending food back.
    We said we understood, but if they couldn't handle more than 50 people, they should reduce their booking numbers, or hire more people.
    He started yelling at us about how we shouldn't tell him how to do his job.
    A bunch of other people came over to calm him down- people who had also been waiting a long time and hadn't eaten anything yet.
    He didn't calm down, so we decided to just leave. So DH paid the bill and we left.
    So did about 40 other people who hadn't eaten yet, and refused to pay for food that hadn't even been cooked yet.

I wrote a complaint letter to the RSL club, and a few other people. We got an apology and a statement saying several staff had been let go (presumably the manager and the 10 wait staff who were standing around chatting instead of serving), but no refund. I wrote back saying I was disappointed as we paid for a set menu and 1/3 of the meal (for 30 guests) hadn't arrived.
    Never heard back.

We had an event booked for 150 people with them for 2 weeks from then. We cancelled. They rang us over and over asking why. I said, "Please refer to ticket number XXX", which was my complaint. They tried to keep the deposit, until I threatened legal action (we gave more than the notice stated in their requirements).

Not payback, as such, but a satisfying consequence nonetheless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't believe how many people think staff would spit in their food.
    Seriously?
    Like. ..really?
    You're aware there are generally cameras back there (especially in chain restaurants where owners can log in from their phones and watch any time),
    And most people in a kitchen have a social conscience?!

No one hates you for complaining,
    They only hate you when you belittle and make things personal, particularly servers who, really, have nothing to do with the preperation.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vampstorso For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (04-02-2015),ElizaDoLittle  (15-02-2015),HearMeRoar  (07-02-2015),monkeymama  (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by vampstorso View Post
    I can't believe how many people think staff would spit in their food.
    Seriously?
    Like. ..really?
    You're aware there are generally cameras back there (especially in chain restaurants where owners can log in from their phones and watch any time),
    And most people in a kitchen have a social conscience?!

No one hates you for complaining,
    They only hate you when you belittle and make things personal, particularly servers who, really, have nothing to do with the preperation.
    This. I work in hospitality. I'm a manager. I have zero problem with taking complaints on board. I will do everything I can to rectify your issue. I always appreciate a person who can complain without swearing, yelling and belittling but even if you don't have that kind of self control, nobody is getting 'revenge' on you for making a complaint. The worst that would happen is, if you can't control yourself, I would refund you if necessary and ask you to leave.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (04-02-2015),jb23  (04-02-2015),monkeymama  (08-02-2015),SoThisIsLove  (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whilst people who are doing a good job in hospitality wouldn't spit in someone's food, I wouldn't be so sure about some of the staff mentioned in these stories. Thankfully they're in the minority.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleClareBear View Post
    Ewwwwww*puke*

and that was what I was going to make for dinner tonight minus the maggots!!

How could they serve that? Surely they saw the maggots????
    I noticed it says Roma at the top, this wasn't at the White Bull Pub was it??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jb23 View Post
    Ok I get frustration at appaling service but why do people see it as ok to do those sorts of things in a restaurant but would never dream of doing so in say a retail shop?
    If you got rude service in a clothing store would you then tip over a clotheing rack?
    If you got rude service from say a telstra store would you then prank call them again and again?

But it is acceptable to tip over plates or order prank food etc in a restaurant?

I will never understand why some people react so differently in a restaurant setting than they would in any other place where they are receiving service.

By all means write a scathing review on tripadvisor etc and complain as high up as you can. But the rest? Really?
    I used to work as a waitress in a pretty upperclass restaurant. Im not sure why it was considered classy as it was truly discusting. Often people complained. The biggest issue I remember was serving a table steak that was almost green when cut into, undercooked prawns (it was a surf and turf) and another plate at the same table was a completely different meal and had gravy finger marks of the plate but no gravy. Immediately I said something to the chef about them but he insisted its fine take it out. I was young, about 16 so i did was I was told and wasn't suprised when i was called back to the table minutes later. They had every right to complain and were absolutely lovely about it. One woman at the table was pregnant and refused to eat her meal after seeing the state of the others and after feeling horrible and apologizing profusely I got the manager for them. She checked the beef and prawns (said not to be picky about the gravy marks) and told them that they could pay at the counter and go if they werent happy with the service, I was mortified. The man who had the surf and turf proposed they all pay for their drinks (they had a few soft drinks and a wine each) but not the food as they hadnt eaten anything bar a few bites of a prawn before realizing the state of it while still being polite and even apologizing that they couldnt eat it, it was rotten.
    My manager leaned over the table and got about 10 cm from his face and I will never forget, said "If you dont want to ****ing eat it, pay for the ****ing food and get the **** out of my restaurant!" She wasnt shouting but it was loud.
    The people were horrified, dropped a $50 on the table, said any money left over from drinks was tips for me and left. I was horrified and embarrassed and after manager was out if site grabbed the $50 and took it out to them in the parking lot.

If they had tipped their food over the table I would have been more than happy to clean it up. Its the hospitality business.

Edit. About the spitting thing.... i saw another waitress spit and lick her boyfriends exs food before taking it out. A bar tender watched too and "accidentally" spilt a drink on her food so it had to be replaced before she ate to much and Several of us did report her and she got the sack.
    Last edited by RaraMum; 07-02-2015 at 22:54.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RaraMum For This Useful Post:

Maia  (15-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like a place I worked at too. I wonder if it was the same place....
    Was grossly disgusting. There was always a rat problem, we got into trouble if we mentoined anything when we saw one. It was at golf club, people came up to the front like a buffet kind of deal, we served them cut the meat up and everything else was in warmers. If a rat was crawling under your feet it would be a sin to scream out or want to run away lol. The meat often came out mouldy or with a foul smell. It was ok by the chef to take it out. Salad was often half eaten by someone else who had ordered it but hadn't finished it so it went out again to someone else. About a million other things that were corrupt. Was a pretty foul place. Half the staff were complete nut jobs or had anger issues. Was impossible to talk to them without getting your head snapped off. Just a horrible place to eat at let alone deal with staff with bad attitude.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zoz For This Useful Post:

RaraMum  (08-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did a trial at a cafe when I was 17 and quit after 3 days because of the horrid things I saw there.

There were so many things wrong with that place, but these are a few of the main ones:
    -The milk for the coffee machine was kept in a stainless steel tin and it never got emptied or cleaned, we were made to just keep pouring more milk in as needed. Fresh milk mixed in with milk that had been sitting there for who knows how long.
    -There wasn't enough cutlery, so we would often run out before someone had the chance to wash up. We were made to just quickly rinse the dirty cutlery under a tap before giving it to the next customer, no dish liquid or anything.
    -At the end of the day, when cutlery actually did get washed, it was polished with metho (no rinsing).
    -the cool room was full of mouldy food and looked like it had never been cleaned. There was also no correct storage, raw meat was just sitting uncovered on the top shelf, dripping down to lowel shelves with veg etc.
    -The chef often dropped food and put it back on the plate.

And it turns out the chef/owner often put girls on for a trial with no intention of keeping them on or paying them. I only stayed 3 days because I was desperate for a job. Happy to say I reported him and he was closed down, though who knows how many poor customers he had before then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zoz View Post
    Sounds like a place I worked at too. I wonder if it was the same place....
    Was grossly disgusting. There was always a rat problem, we got into trouble if we mentoined anything when we saw one. It was at golf club, people came up to the front like a buffet kind of deal, we served them cut the meat up and everything else was in warmers. If a rat was crawling under your feet it would be a sin to scream out or want to run away lol. The meat often came out mouldy or with a foul smell. It was ok by the chef to take it out. Salad was often half eaten by someone else who had ordered it but hadn't finished it so it went out again to someone else. About a million other things that were corrupt. Was a pretty foul place. Half the staff were complete nut jobs or had anger issues. Was impossible to talk to them without getting your head snapped off. Just a horrible place to eat at let alone deal with staff with bad attitude.
    No not a buffet type place. It was the fanciest restaurant in my old town. Fancy my left butt cheek! And as the same- it was sin to mention anything bad. Had I been as ourspoken and upfront as I am now, I would have told them where to go and reported them to health and safety.