+ Reply to Thread
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default Before or After School Fitness/Sport program?

Does your child's school have any sort of before or after school fitness programs? I am specifically thinking of programs run by the school where children can maybe do yoga, skipping, general fitness type activities.

At DS's school the children can play in one area for 15 minutes before class, 10 minutes at first break and 25 minutes at second break. I used to have a bit of a play with him before school but they changed the rules so that children must be sitting down with their parents or in one area of the school during this before school time. I think kids should have an opportunity to run around and 'shake their sillys out' before school. What sort of programs does your child(ren) have at school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    No program just play where their parents can see them.

There was a sport program going for high school boys going one day a week until d's hurt his back and the program got canceled. The school board decided it wasn't worth the risk.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    We had one for 8 years but the government cut the funding. Huge surprise there.

I think there is an initiative coming out as we have signed up to be a trial school but not sure if it is State or Federal. It is called School Sports and has to be done during school time 😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DD's not in school yet (obviously, at not quite 8 months old); but I know of at least a couple of schools in my area that offer an Active After School program once a week. Not sure on anything before school.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    at DD's school they dont have a 'general fitness' one ...

but they do have different ones organised and operated by the school

- swimming club once per week (all year)
    - one term of zumba before school once per week
    - one term of soccer after school once per week
    - one term of tennis after school once per week
    - athletics training once per week before school for about a term before the athletics carnival

they arent full on competitive sports like the kids do outside of school - just school supervised 'for fun' type activities with the sports teacher

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Where my daughter goes they are allowed to run around in the mornings. They also have 25 minutes play time for lunch and 20 mins play time at recess. Both breaks they have 10 mins eating time. They also have active after school activities but spaces are limited but I think it's stopped now because of federal government gunding cuts

ETA - they also do sport every Friday.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 31-01-2015 at 11:23.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla View Post
    My DD's not in school yet (obviously, at not quite 8 months old); but I know of at least a couple of schools in my area that offer an Active After School program once a week. Not sure on anything before school.
    @Catzilla AAS is what has been cut 😔

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Queen of Amazingtown View Post
    @Catzilla AAS is what has been cut 😔
    :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There are optional sports and other extra curricular classes held at DD's school before and after school which cost extra (works out about $12-15/ lesson). Sports options are tennis, cricket,netball, soccer, auskick, swimming.