+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Certificate 3 in Disability

I'm wanting to work as a disability support worker and was wondering what the highs and lows of the job are. I've enrolled into the course and am excited to get started.

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've been a support worker for 9 years. It's a job where you can leave work feeling shattered one day, and the next day ends with you feeling on top of the world! It's challenging, confronting, repetitious, heart warming, inspiring... I love it most of the time and hate it occasionally. It teaches you to be aware all the time, think 10 steps ahead and on your feet, multi task like crazy and find positives in almost any situation.

How you find the job depends on your personality, and the organization you work for. Ask me some questions and I'll do my best to answer them .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you for your reply.
    I've heard that it's hard, but rewarding. My ds1 has got spina bifida and an intellectual impairment, so hopefully that has helped me prepare for the job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this is a few months old but I'm a support worker on night shift (active night shift but I'm allowed to Facebook/watch TV etc 😃👍) and was scrolling through and saw this

I started in aged care and branched out to disability support in a home care role. love the variety of clients. I work mainly with acquired disabilities from workplace or transport accidents but can vary from younger clients with CP, people my age with MS/quads/ABI's etc or generally frail elderly people. There is such a wide group of clients you can work with it's really interesting.
    I love that my hours are flexible and I've worked with the same clients for over two years and they are like family to me
    The changeling aspects are dealing with difficult behaviours/situations and it can seem like a lot of responsibility for very little pay at times. It can also be physically demanding but I don't mind that I like hands on work.
    Good luck with your course it's a great job. I'm studying a childcare diploma to branch out further but won't leave disability completely as I love it so much.