+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Play based learning in schools

Are there any teachers out there that can tell me the benefits of play based learning in schools? DD2 just started grade 1 and we walk into the classroom to find only 12 desks for 26 students and a teeny tiny classroom. So basically they learn and share desks etc. 12 will sit at desks and 14 on the floor with clip boards. Is this the way play based works? How effective is it? I always loved the idea of them having their own place in the classroom like a desk where they can put their belongings and know it's their place.

This is the first year the school is trialling this form of learning so I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is an article that explains play based learning and it's benefits to children's development socially, emotionally and cognitively.

http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.o...-free-article/

Play based learning is very important for children to learn to be part of a group, to share and to develop themselves an individuals and as part of a team.

There is oodles of research around its benefits and it's not a new thing.

Classrooms don't need a chair for every child - it's a very industrialised stance to imagine that all kids do the same thing all the time in a classroom. Group and individual work means that kids will be working flexibly across different activities rather than all sitting at a desk doing the same thing.

If you are worried then ask to spend some time in the classroom - once you see things in action it often makes more sense, especially when it differs so much from our own experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply and link.

In the sense of not having a desk per child, what would a child be expected to do at other times? So it's normal for children to use clip boards on the ground for work instead of desks?
    I think because I have never seen it before, I can't quite wrap my head around it.
    Going and observing the classroom is actually a great idea, I might organise that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    Thanks for the reply and link.

In the sense of not having a desk per child, what would a child be expected to do at other times? So it's normal for children to use clip boards on the ground for work instead of desks?
    I think because I have never seen it before, I can't quite wrap my head around it.
    Going and observing the classroom is actually a great idea, I might organise that!
    Tbh I'd hope they weren't just using a clip board. But as an example when some children were focused on a writing task others might be doing puzzle work in a group on the floor whilst others are working in a teacher led group - there are so many activities that kids do that don't require them to be sitting at a table. Groups will then rotate around the activities and also time with the teacher.

Thanks
    Reviews
    See if it was this type of environment I would be completely happy! There's 6 different stations of sensory play, writing area, computers etc (mind you this wasn't set up until day 2 of school after parents complained). My daughter has said she has sat at a desk once in the last 4 days the rest of the time she's been sitting on the ground with a clip board.

Going to organise to observe one morning next week before I decide whether I like it or not.