+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Q for working mums: Did you/will you take time off when LO starts prep?

Just wondering...

Did you?

or

Planning to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughter is only 2 but Yep, i want to be there for drop offs and pick ups for at least the first week. I might just work school hours for that week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I wasnt working or studying when he started as i started the week after but i always take the first day off for school regardless of the grade kiddo is in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am on maternity leave, so didn't have to but I was planning on taking a month off. I think it would be tough if they had to go to before/ after school care from day 1. Plus my DS1's school was only half days for the first 2 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep, I have already given my manager and team a heads up too! He'll start next year.

Probably the first week, especially for drop offs. he'll also be attending afterschool care so I want to make sure he has that routine down pat rather than be at work stressing about him wandering around a school (which I know wont happen but my mummy brain is crazy sometimes!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was just days away from starting a new job when DS started prep 2 years ago, so I was able to be there for his first day. When DD starts in 2 years I will DEFINITELY be taking the day off to be there for her, regardless of where I'm at with work. You only get to do the first day of school once and I wouldn't miss it for the world. It's bad enough missing so much working full time, so I couldn't bear to miss that milestone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    My daughter is only 2 but Yep, i want to be there for drop offs and pick ups for at least the first week. I might just work school hours for that week.
    That's a good idea (working school hours for their first week). A good compromise

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, I've taken time off (now) it's two weeks, but really 6 days (3 & 3) because the first week he finishes at 1pm and then normal the 2nd week. (Also Ds2 is doing pre-kinder orientation this week)

I wanted to be there for all drop offs and pick ups and then there will be BSC/OSC or my mum helping out.

I'm now feeling guilty. Maybe next week I could have gone back for to work those three days.
    Nearly every mum I have spoken too is dropping off then going to work (later) or grandma picking up etc.
    I wonder if work think I'm nuts? It's hard for me to start late/finish early because I'm a teacher and it's a little more complicated with our timetables.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Well, I've taken time off (now) it's two weeks, but really 6 days (3 & 3) because the first week he finishes at 1pm and then normal the 2nd week. (Also Ds2 is doing pre-kinder orientation this week)

I wanted to be there for all drop offs and pick ups and then there will be BSC/OSC or my mum helping out.

I'm now feeling guilty. Maybe next week I could have gone back for to work those three days.
    Nearly every mum I have spoken too is dropping off then going to work (later) or grandma picking up etc.
    I wonder if work think I'm nuts? It's hard for me to start late/finish early because I'm a teacher and it's a little more complicated with our timetables.
    Don't feel bad. Enjoy getting to be there for pick ups.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (02-02-2015)