+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    For supply issues see this link:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf..._galactagogue/
    How old is your baby? Newborns can take a long time to feed.

With regard to your 8 year old:
    - Pack lunches etc the night before and if you can, make yourself a lunch for the next day whilst you're at it. I tend to make lunches for 2 days at a time (or at least most of a lunch).
    - Keep dinners simple but when you do cook make sure there is enough for at least 1 more dinner so you can have left overs.
    - Ensure you have at least 1 or 2 quick-fix dinners that take minimal preparation. This could be pasta with frozen veggies and a jar of pasta sauce.
    - Baby needs to fit in with you as best as possible for school drop off. If you can give them a feed before you leave to minimise them needing a feed during the school drop off drive.
    - Are you friendly with any of the other school mums? Can they do drop off for you if needed? Does your DS know what to do if you're late picking him up?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Lilahh  (18-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey, I expressed on one side while I fed first thing in the morning. I found it really helped with increasing supply. Getting out of the house certainly gets easier as you get used to having two kids!
    I have shower at night and do lunches the night before (not school age but preschool and make a salad for the next day for me).
    It all works out in the end. My second baby sleeps in the pram a lot and with plenty of background noise with a preschooler in the house!
    Hang in there, it does get easier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hugs! You are doing a great job. I have a 5.5 year old who started Prep this year and a 4.5 month old and school runs have been tough, and he only feeds for 10 minutes!

Honestly, poor DS2 doesn't have much of a schedule at all. His morning and afternoon naps often coincide with school drop offs so he just naps in the pram. (I don't own a car, we walk everywhere). Part of mangaing a new baby and school runs in my experience, is just accepting that your baby will have to fit around everyone else. Luckily DS2 has such a placid personality!

-I find that waking bub up in the morning if necessary works well. He has to be up and fed by a certain time so that I can get myself and DS1 fed, dressed and ready for school.
    -Use a dummy to stretch him out if you desperately need to get out the door
    -Accept that sometimes your firstborn will be late to school, and explain clearly where to wait/why he might have to wait if you are late one day
    - If bub is due for a feed around pick-up time, I leave early and sit nearby the school and feed DS2 so that Im not rushing out the door and making DS1 late
    - Once DS1 is at school and we are home I make sure that DS2 gets as much of a schedule as possible. My philosophy is, if he has one good nap a day while DS1 is at school then he can catnap for the rest of it and we will just have to get by.
    - Make school lunches, pack school bag and nappy bag and lay out the uniform the night before. Basically do everything you can to get the next day ready.
    - Try not to go

School runs ARE SO HARD with a little baby. I thought a school aged child and a new baby would be a breeze.... Good luck!!
    Last edited by Lilahh; 18-02-2015 at 08:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for the kind messages of reassurance. Milk supply has got better with motilium & fenugreek tablets. But my baby is still unsettled - she feeds for hours (almost an hour each feed) & feeds every 2 hrs. She falls asleep during feed & when I put her to sleep on her cot, she wakes up and cries. She wants to be carried all the time. I'm almost thinking of quitting BF. Not sure if bottle feed will help...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaz91 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the kind messages of reassurance. Milk supply has got better with motilium & fenugreek tablets. But my baby is still unsettled - she feeds for hours (almost an hour each feed) & feeds every 2 hrs. She falls asleep during feed & when I put her to sleep on her cot, she wakes up and cries. She wants to be carried all the time. I'm almost thinking of quitting BF. Not sure if bottle feed will help...
    The long feeds can be so frustrating, especially when it's so frequent too. How old is she? (sorry if I missed it). If you do decide to keep breastfeeding, it will probably improve as she gets older - the feeds will shorten as she gets more efficient and she will be able to stretch out a bit between feeds. Is she feeding effectively do you think? Have you tried a dummy to settle her? (keep in mind that may affect supply). Do you have a carrier you could pop her in to feed/doze as she wants?

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaz91 View Post
    Newborn breastfed babies can often appear to be unsettled - it's all normal!! Taking an hour to feed every 2 hours is also very normal for a newborn too. When you say your baby falls asleep during a feed would it be that they are milk drunk rather than actually asleep? A milk drunk baby will come around in a few minutes. Google images of milk drunk, it's very cute!! Remember, your baby has been cuddled and fed 24/7 for the first 9 months of their life. It's all they know which is what makes them feel secure. Your baby will most likely start to feed a lot quicker very soon. BF is soooo much more convenient that bottlefeeding when you're out and about.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Cue  (18-02-2015)