+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Overwhelmed with feeding newborn

Hello
    I'm just struggling with feeding a new born & in parallel looking after an 8 year old. I've been having milk supply issues which is affecting my peace of mind & I feel helpless as well because I'm not able to focus on my 8 year old boy. Just wanted to get some tips from other mums who are/were in a similar situation & understand
    1) how they dealt with milk supply
    Issues & were successful with fully breastfeeding
    2) how they were able to schedule looking after 2 kids (including things like school dropoff / pickup, breastfeed, sleep)

My husband is going through a tough phase in his job & therefore not able to help me with anything. I also don't have any family who can help me out. I almost feel like a single mum & I'm hats off to women who do it all alone. Please help - any tips would be helpful...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What are the supply issues? Under or over supply?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having issues with it under supply

Thanks
    Reviews
    What makes you think you have under supply?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (31-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hi there, sorry can't help with number one, but with no 2 - bubs will have to adjust to being on the go... you will have to just do your usual routine regarding school drop offs etc, and in their own way they adjust believe it or not. it does get easier. with no 1, if you have an under supply from what I know there is medication that can bring in more milk - I'd have a chat to your gp about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have under supply and a toddler. I am expressing and mix feeding with formula until my appointment with the LC. My miss had weight gain issues indicating under supply and her latch is not great so causes pain. I decided for the sake of my nips I would purely express until I could get help with latch and then I can also see if my supply is improving. I'm also getting some tablets off my SIL.
    She comes along to everything my DS does and that we need to do. I would feed on the go and leave early so that if I need to stop we can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you can find a lactation consultant I'd highly recommend seeing one. Ring the hospital you birthed at to see if there is one you can see there, and if not where ask you can find one. There is medication you can take to help boost supply too if you are having a lot of trouble. Feed as much as you can to help as well (demand will increase supply) and skin to skin contact will also help too.

Hopefully a few more ladies will respond with some more helpful advice too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Google lactation cookies and make some or ask a friend to make some for you, they are supposed to be really great

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had low supply; I was prescribed motilium. I also recommend the lactation biscuits. You can also get fenugreek tablets from a health food store that are meant to be good. I also drink nursing tea also from the health food store.
    I used a supplementary nursing system and pumped for 10min after ever feed. It's my first bub though and I did say I don't think I could do it with a second as it took up a lot of time and energy.
    In your case I would say your mental health and family health are most important. Take whatever supply products that could help but ultimately give your bub whatever helps you and your family. Maybe you could arrange an activity for just you and your eldest? One on one time?
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a low supply.
    Was prescribed motilium and had lactation cookies and lactogenic foods (oats, almonds, fenugreek).
    My supply finally came through with all that.
    Can't help with the 8yr part, I've only got the one child.