+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had a few struggles with my DD and honestly it's been tough. All I do is continue to put stuff I want her to eat on her plate. It's a long shot I know and I often wonder why I bother when the majority gets scraped straight into the bin; but it works with perseverance. For the longest time she refused to eat eggs, even now she prefers scrambled and 50% of the time she won't even eat that when I serve it, but I just keep chugging along in the hopes that she'll eventually eat what I want her to eat.
    Her lunch today is tinned tuna (she will most likely eat this, I tell her its chicken, lol) cherry tomatoes (she'll probably just suck the guts out of a couple) a mushroom (she weirdly loves them plain and raw, go figure!) banana bread (depends on her mood) a boiled egg (prob won't eat it, but it's there if she wants it) and some sultanas- she likes those most of the time.
    She's 2 and a half and I worry about her school lunch as well as at this stage she refuses to eat sandwiches, just toast :/
    I am one who does offer an alternative on most occasions, usually weetbix or toast etc, but I'll wait half an hour or so.WP_20150130_007.jpg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

MonsterMummy  (30-01-2015),PinkPink  (31-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silentrockfaery View Post

So what do you do, do you not give your child alternatives and let them go hungry? Do you ease them into better eating?
    Have them eating what you're eating from the start. So have *something* on your plate that they can gum/suck on when 6 months. Share your food/plate and go from there.

No alternatives, nothing else if they don't eat what is in front of them unless they're obviously teething and can't eat but showing that they want to eat.

They will not starve, and hunger will make them more likely to eat next time. We live in the 1st-world where a lot of families have 5 opportunities each day to eat (breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner). If our boy doesn't eat, he can eat next time. He will not starve or die of hunger overnight. He doesn't get just one meal a day like some kids in the world, but if he did I'm sure he would clean his plate every time.

Oh and ETA uneaten food either goes in a container and into the fridge for next time or the worms eat it (compost bin). *Somebody or something* eats it. We never waste food.
    Last edited by debsch; 30-01-2015 at 13:34.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (30-01-2015),SoThisIsLove  (30-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If my 19mo doesn't want what I've provided then I will offer an alternative (if I think he's actually hungry). But it will still be healthy and it will just be something quick.

I refuse to make multiple meals so I base family meals around what I think he will like to eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 22 month old barely eats anything. Your kids eat so much in comparison. She's still demand breastfeeding and very healthy, but solids are so limited.
    She will only sometimes eat these foods, toast, grapes, banana, apple, popcorn, egg white, crackers, sausage, chicken. When she does eat that, it's only tiny amounts and never meals, but grazes.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We eat together, the same meals.

I never offer alternatives (actually, I think I have twice, when I accidentally made a curry that was way too hot). But all our meals involve several different components so if they leave a certain component it is no big deal.

I never force them to eat anything or even taste it, but if they refuse something, there is nothing until the next meal. We are so over fed in the western world, they will not starve. We don't talk about or make a big deal about food, there is pretty much never any dessert, the food is just food, not something to be got through to get a reward. We also don't do food as a reward, I think it makes junk food seem more appealing if it's seen as a reward.

My brother's son is almost 2 and just started refusing to eat dinner, it started with him throwing his meal on the floor, the first night they said he must not like it so asked him if he wanted milk and fruit, next night same thing, it's now the norm, he chucks his dinner on the floor, they give him milk and fruit. He's learned quickly how to get them to give him milk and fruit!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

debsch  (30-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm subbing to this thread, I could really use the advice. My DD is 2 and I worry so much about getting her to eat nutritious food. She has a very limited range of foods she'll eat, I try to make them as healthy as possible for example she will only eat a peanut butter and jam sandwhich for lunch because she tried it at her grandparents place and now it's the only thing she'll eat, so I buy the no added salt or sugar peanut butter and no added sugar jam and make it on wholemeal bread, but even then I know it's not the best lunch.

I constantly offer fruit, veggies and other healthy options but she flat out refuses. I've tried the hiding veggies thing but she refused that and I tried the you only have to have a taste thing but she refuses that too. I keep persevering but so much food gets wasted, I just hope she has a better palate by the time she starts school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    What kinds of things does he eat - sensory issues aside its still quite possible to change a 2 year olds eating habits
    Pretty much all he will eat is: toast with vegemite, lactose free yoghurt, banana, watermelon, biscuits, crackers, hummus dip, ravioli, noodles, popcorn, and banana bread.

I seriously don't know what to do! I always offer him a variety of foods. Always demonstrate healthy eating by eating a bit of his food with him. I've tried changing things to the foods that he will eat (like a different type of ravioli, pasta with hidden veg, other fruits etc) but he just will not eat any of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I aim to include protein in every meal, such as:

Lean meats, eg ham, fish, chicken
    Boiled egg
    Edamame beans
    Cheese

I then make up the rest of the meal with fruit and veg

I try to limit carbs, especially white rice, white bread, mashed potato etc and choose lower GI options such as whole grains.

I find that focusing on including protein, fruit and veg means each meal is healthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default *kinda spin off* Getting Kids to Eat Healthy

Quote Originally Posted by silentrockfaery View Post
    Pretty much all he will eat is: toast with vegemite, lactose free yoghurt, banana, watermelon, biscuits, crackers, hummus dip, ravioli, noodles, popcorn, and banana bread.

I seriously don't know what to do! I always offer him a variety of foods. Always demonstrate healthy eating by eating a bit of his food with him. I've tried changing things to the foods that he will eat (like a different type of ravioli, pasta with hidden veg, other fruits etc) but he just will not eat any of it.
    Does he eat with you and what you eat at meals? It's important not to stress at meal times as they will pick up on it - he does at least eat a few different types of foods so that's a great start - my friends son at 2 would only eat avocado sandwiches , yogurt and apples!

What she did, which is what most nutritionists recommend is - to eat together and offer him what your having plus at least 1 food you know you he will eat and make a big deal about how yummy the food is and all positive conversations, if he eats it that's great and praise him, if not then tell him there is no more dinner as that's all you have left and put it in the fridge and let him leave the table once you have all finished, if he does ask for food give him back his dinner , if he eats it great, if not no stress - the first night may be hard but after 3 nights he started trying more food ( they kept the positive conversations and most times he didn't even realise he was trying a new food) now at 4 he eats quite a good variety of food - some things you can't win on as the kid may actually genuinely not like it ( my DS has never eaten potato or pumpkin but will eat olives by the handful and loves octopus!)

Also, take him out to eat if you can sometimes - cafes or restaurants and just order something healthy , even if it's brekky and you get eggs on toast , he needs to see you guys eating what gets put in front of you and enjoying your food, they usually want what you are having so just make sure all you have is good food - oh and don't give too many snacks before dinner, they need to learn to wait and you want him to be hungry so he will want to eat

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

debsch  (31-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Subbing.