+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Hopeful1986.

Like you I had no desire to BF,
    so I FF both my children from birth. I had both boys in a private hospital and was never once questioned as to my decision. The hospital provided everything, my midwife only asked me what formula I would be using so she could go and grab it for me (had almost every brand stocked up, the midwives would bring premade jars/bottles of the formula & stock up my little fridge each day). This might not be the norm, but it was my experience.
    I know lots of people say you might change your mind & you might... but you also might not & that is 100% fine as well. I haven't really had anyone questioning my decision.. Oh besides the odd little old man at a doctors surgery... but some people are just plain weird!

I can honestly say I have zero guilt or regret as to how I fed my children. I had no issue establishing an amazing bond with my boys (one comment that annoys me when people say you can't get the same bond FF as BF) anyone that has met us can plainly see the bond we have, this would have been no different had I chose to BF...

I really hope you (and anyone else who decides to FF) get the same experience I did.

*I also took the tablet to stop milk coming in (can't remember what it was called though!) My OB had it in her notes for it to be prescribed once Bub arrived.*

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeHasCome For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (31-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I'm not really sure what your point is...
    I might just toddle over to the Breastfeeding support thread and mention how I think everyone should comp feed, or at least give it a go, cos, well, that's my personal opinion NB Just my personal views that I'm not trying to push on anyone or anything

In a section called *bottlefeeding support* in a thread called *Formula feeding by choice*

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

babyla  (31-01-2015),Lauzy  (31-01-2015),TheTimeHasCome  (31-01-2015),zooey  (31-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTimeHasCome View Post

I can honestly say I have zero guilt or regret as to how I fed my children. I had no issue establishing an amazing bond with my boys (one comment that annoys me when people say you can't get the same bond FF as BF) anyone that has met us can plainly see the bond we have, this would have been no different had I chose to BF...

.*
    Well said. I totally agree with you.
    No guilt and I still had an amazing bond with my bub too.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sethysmum For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (31-01-2015),TheTimeHasCome  (31-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All my life ive been saying ill only FF my children for various reasons but the main being i am not comfortable with the idea of BF. Yes its completely normal but not for me.
    Anyway my daughter is 14 weeks old and FF from birth. My hospital had no issues, my midwife had no issues. She did discuss with me the benefits of BF in our first appointment at 16 wks as apparently thats hospital policy but it was never broached again. At 39 weeks she showed me the dos and donts of FF explained how to do it etc etc.

As for bond my daughter looks for me, cuddles me, im her mum and we love each other as much as we would if i were breastfeeding. She shares the same bond with her dad also.
    I dont regret my decision to FF no matter how much people have tried to make me.
    My baby is loved, fed, happy and content and thats all that matters.
    Last edited by MummaCat; 31-01-2015 at 08:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I'm not really sure what your point is...
    I think @M'LadyEm point was related to the OP's concern about staff supporting her choice to formula feed. That's what I got from it- that staff may be happy to have someone who is FF in amongst all the BF, as it is 'less' work, so to say.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (31-01-2015),M'LadyEm  (31-01-2015),TheGooch  (31-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think @M'LadyEm point was related to the OP's concern about staff supporting her choice to formula feed. That's what I got from it- that staff may be happy to have someone who is FF in amongst all the BF, as it is 'less' work, so to say.

I agree, this is how I took it too

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (31-01-2015),M'LadyEm  (31-01-2015),TheGooch  (31-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm certainly not trying to start an argument. I was only pointing out that personally I am pro BF, but professionally I am pro choice. I am not going to make someone do something they don't want to do. If I were looking after the OP I would support her in whatever choice she made of how to feed her baby. I will support you if you want to BF exclusively, I will support you if you want to BF long enough to give colostrum, I will support you if you want to mix feed and I will support you if you choose to exclusively formula feed. At the end of the day you've got to be happy with your feeding choices, whatever they are. Any midwife who gives you grief for not BF is not a good midwife. Personally we can hold all the values and opinions we want, but professionally we have to let that all go and do what's best for the women we're caring for, and the biggest thing we can do is support them in their choices.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

babyla  (31-01-2015),delirium  (31-01-2015),grace  (31-01-2015),HollyGolightly81  (31-01-2015),Molros  (31-01-2015),TheGooch  (31-01-2015),TheTimeHasCome  (31-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    I'm certainly not trying to start an argument. I was only pointing out that personally I am pro BF, but professionally I am pro choice. I am not going to make someone do something they don't want to do. If I were looking after the OP I would support her in whatever choice she made of how to feed her baby. I will support you if you want to BF exclusively, I will support you if you want to BF long enough to give colostrum, I will support you if you want to mix feed and I will support you if you choose to exclusively formula feed. At the end of the day you've got to be happy with your feeding choices, whatever they are. Any midwife who gives you grief for not BF is not a good midwife. Personally we can hold all the values and opinions we want, but professionally we have to let that all go and do what's best for the women we're caring for, and the biggest thing we can do is support them in their choices.
    Thanks for this post. I wish I'd had a midwife with your attitude

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much everyone for your supportive words, I really do appreciate it and I apologise for responding late. Like another poster said, the thought of breastfeeding I guess weirds me out a little. My sense of personal space isn't due to any trauma or anything like that growing up (addressing Vicpark's post), I guess it's just the way I am. I'm happy to do the skin to skin bonding at birth etc. Building a very close relationship with my kid/s is very important to me as I didn't have that with my parents growing up.

It's not something I'm dismissing completely. I'm sure once I become pregnant and then have the little one I'll change a lot of what I think I'll do or think I won't do. I guess to me I never saw BF as this be all end all of bonding. I just don't see it as important. Spending time with my LO, talking to them, teaching them and being open minded with them is what's important to me. I don't even know if I was BF, it's just not relevant to me when it comes to building a relationship with my bub. I know the benefits. I'm keeping an open mind, but I've accepted that if I don't feel it's right for my family, then so be it. I guess for me it's just about having that one thing to myself. My LO will be fine and I will do my best to raise a decent human being.

Thanks again, ladies. I can't imagine the number of people who would roll their eyes at me if I told them these things IRL. It's nice to have a place I can share my thoughts with people who are understanding.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (02-02-2015),InvisibleWoman  (03-02-2015),littlelove  (02-02-2015),Molros  (02-02-2015),zooey  (02-02-2015)