+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm wondering is it a disadvantage being the oldest in the class though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can't see what the disadvantage would be? They will be more mature and better able to learn, I'd think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by joalisha View Post
    I'm wondering is it a disadvantage being the oldest in the class though?
    Only in older years when you turn 18 and your friends can't celebrate with you. Not really a disadvantage but I know it bothered some people. I was a younger one and didn't care at all about going out! Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Won't half the kids in the class be turning 18 in year 12 though? Even if not delayed the kids born in the second half of the year will be turning 6 in their first year of school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with all the pp's about keeping her back. I am an infants teacher and I could rattle off so many instances where a child should have been held back another year. I cannot think of one case where being older was a disadvantage, quite the opposite in fact.

I've got 12 years experience in case you were wondering 😜

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay great! Thank you for answering all my questions! You have made me feel a lot better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What's the cut off where you all are? Here in Melb it's end April and I find most parents that have a child born March/April often hold them back.
    My son is February, so would be just turning 5. I'm not sure if I will hold him back or not.

Do parents hold them back if their turning 5 in Feb? Or is it more if they're turning 5 April-June in other states.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dd starts prep next year. She turns 4 next week.
    Do you think I should hold her off so that she starts prep turning 6? Or send her next year?
    She can sit still and engaged in activities for long periods of time , is quite mature etc. I am already stressing myself about it and I have at least 12 months up my sleeve! Lol.
    Would love to hear your opinions

Op great thread!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting prep at 4 or 5?

In Qld where we are it's 30th June! I see such little kids starting prep, my daughter is very tall for her age, taller than half of my dd1 grade 2 class! It's funny! She will tower over everyone!
    Last edited by joalisha; 29-01-2015 at 15:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by joalisha View Post
    In Qld where we are it's 30th June! I see such little kids starting prep, my daughter is very tall for her age, taller than half of my dd1 grade 2 class! It's funny! She will tower over everyone!
    Its actually changed this year, cut off has been moved from June 30 to July 31st.

Personally i think it comes down to the individual child. For example, my dd1 was more than ready to start prep at 4.5, and having to start the year later has meant she gets bored in class because she finds the work too easy and always asking the teacher for harder stuff, emotionally she is ahead of the others as well and sometimes finds it difficult to relate to kids in her class. Where as my dd2 could have started prep this year with the new cut off (she is 4.5) and academically she would be ok but socially/emotionally she needs to develop a bit more and would struggle so we made the choice to keep her in Kindy this year.
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 29-01-2015 at 15:15.