+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Starting prep at 4 or 5?

So I would love to hear from all the teachers here, is it better for a child to start prep at 4.5 or 5.5, as this is what my daughter will be! My sister in law is a teacher & says she will do 100% better being that little bit older! I worry that she could have kids 12 months younger than her in her class! Will that affect her?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to joalisha For This Useful Post:

debsch  (29-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing! Interested to hear some opinions

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a teacher and would say 100% 5.5 rather than 4. I think ideally all children should be 5 turning 6 in their prep year. I wouldn't worry about younger children in the class. There are so many things emotionally, socially and academically that need to happen for school readiness and these occur for most children in their 5th year.
    That said, you know your child best so are best able to make decisions for them! Good luck.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (29-01-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (29-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Starting prep at 4 or 5?

As a previous prep teacher 100% better to be older than younger!
    Emotionally and maturity wise I could always see a big difference between the child starting at 4 and those who were already 5

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with millymollymandy, I'm a teacher in secondary school and it's extremely obvious which kids are that little bit younger. I always say that older is better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm a teacher as well and I have never seen an extra year at home do any children any harm. Unless your child is a genius, I think it's better to wait.

I have 2 children who could go to school the year they turn 5 (May and July babies) but both of them will start the year they turn 6. My eldest just started year 1 and will be 7 in May. She is the oldest in year 1 as far as I know and has loads of friends, some are nearly 12 months younger.

My son is 4.5 and would definitely be ready socially to start this year, but I really don't think it's fair to expect him to sit still for long periods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter has watched all her friends/cousins them born from march-June 2010 start prep this year! It's hard to explain why she can't go to, she is 13/7! I even got messages from friends & sil saying hope 'D' has a great 1st day at prep! 😢 I know she will be better off in the long run but hard ATM!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've chosen to start my son at 5.5 (next year) rather than 4.5. I did quite a lot of research and could find no studies that showed benefit to early school starting (most seemed to point to the opposite), I also spoke to a lot of parents of older children, none of them regretted delaying school but a lot did regret starting young.

I just told my son all last year that in our house kids start school at 5.5, he was fine with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a prep teacher & agree 100% that 5.5 is better. You are doing the right thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've taught across primary and high school, and agree that the older option is usually better.

That being said, I'd be torn if I had the option for my own child. I started and finished school young, and feel it was absolutely the best option for me.