How do your babes get to sleep?? | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How do your babes get to sleep??

DS has very obvious tired signs. He does this face that looks like he's really concerned and kind of groans. Then he rubs his eyes. Very easy to read! As soon as he does this I take him up to his room, pop him in his LTD swaddle, tuck him in, give him his dummy, a kiss, and leave. He has white noise playing to muffle the noise in the house as we have a pretty small place. For his day naps I very rarely need to go in after that and he falls asleep quickly. When he goes down for the night we sometimes have to go in and give him a quick pat or sit with him for a bit before he'll go to sleep. Occasionally he just chats to himself for up to 2 hours so we just get him up, feed him and back to bed.

He's 6mo.

DD was never this easy, even though she was able to self settle she would always protest going to bed and would require a bit of a cuddle at bedtime. Even now at 3.5yrs it can be a bit of a process getting her to actually go to sleep (her mucking around in her room, not crying).

ETA - DS wasn't always like this, until we got his feeding sorted I would often cuddle him to sleep. He would only really feed to sleep at late night feeds. His sleep has been a hundred times better since I stopped breastfeeding (CMPI and suspected SPI, so he's on a specific formula for this. I'm certainly not saying formula is a magic sleep cure for all babies!).
    Last edited by Cue; 29-01-2015 at 14:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    DS turned 4 months yesterday and I either feed him to sleep or rock him in my arms. He has self settled at night 5 times in his life.

DH is taking 2 weeks off work and in that time we are potty training DD, so I'll take that opportunity to sleep train DS using pat shush after we put him down drowsy but awake (so if he calls out once we have left him we will pat, shush) until he is asleep. I want him to learn that once we put him down he needs to sleep, but will gently coach him with pat shush until it 'clicks'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's so interesting hearing all these different methods but reminds me that nothing I've done has brought consistent sleep. Before dd started really teething I used do a type of controlled comforting - let her whinge and cry a bit but keep on coming back in to reinsert dummy, shhh, pat. Sometimes she seemed to need to get really angry then I'd come in and hold her hand and she'd drop off but if I started out holding her hand she'd get too distracted. But now if she's crying and I don't pick her up / feed she's more likely to get overtired and take even longer to settle. She's asleep now after lying in bed with night time boob :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I either breastfed or cuddled both of my children asleep as babies and toddlers.

Now they are older we lay down in bed with them and read to them while they nod off. The only "sleep training" needed here was to make them feel relaxed, loved, safe and secure as they fell asleep.

ETA - for night wakings when they were younger we just brought them into bed with us and partially co-slept (not for everyone I know). Ours both consistently slept through at about two years old and both are great sleepers now. We found going with the flow and accepting night wakings as normal for babies and toddlers was less stressful for us and co-sleeping when required meant everyone got sufficient (though not ideal for us) rest. Not to say we didn't have some trying and exhausting moments.

Also OP, if I (and my boobs) weren't around then both children settled quickly with cuddles from Grandma or Dad or day care staff.
    Last edited by DailyDiversion; 29-01-2015 at 19:55.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DailyDiversion For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (29-01-2015),Fi Poledancer  (17-12-2015),Pearlygirl  (29-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    It's so interesting hearing all these different methods but reminds me that nothing I've done has brought consistent sleep. Before dd started really teething I used do a type of controlled comforting - let her whinge and cry a bit but keep on coming back in to reinsert dummy, shhh, pat. Sometimes she seemed to need to get really angry then I'd come in and hold her hand and she'd drop off but if I started out holding her hand she'd get too distracted. But now if she's crying and I don't pick her up / feed she's more likely to get overtired and take even longer to settle. She's asleep now after lying in bed with night time boob :-)
    I do this too - he will whinge a bit - so I go back in, dummy in if he needs it, pat/shh etc and then leave when he settles down again. I found that DS won't go to sleep if I am in the room - he just keeps looking at me and won't close his eyes so the only way for him to drift off is if I leave, but he will whinge if I leave him - I can't really win . I just do whatever works - I would feed to sleep but that doesn't work for my bub - I think he might be the only baby who's raring to go after a good meal Rocking and holding him/cuddling makes him also think its playtime these days, it used to work though! The only time I pick him up if he starts to get upset rather than just having a bedtime whinge. Holding his hand when he's having a lot of difficulty falling to sleep seems to be working at the moment too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feed my 6 month old to sleep on my bed and then transfer him to his bed. This is easy at home, but when I am out it is a problem because he seems to have to be transferred to his own bed otherwise he wakes up and cries. Now I'm trying to work out what to do when out. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do your babes get to sleep??

My dd is 16mo. She feeds to sleep at nap time and then I transfer her. For bed time I give her a bf in the bedroom with music playing and then she lies in her cot listening to the music while she drifts off.

Eta: bizarrely she insists on putting her head under a pillow while she falls asleep. Strange child!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have co slept and breastfed my two babies to sleep. It has worked very well for us, and I wouldn't try any alternative for future babies. As they grow older and are weaned (my first around 18 months, my second at 2.5) they are *usually* happy to just be in bed, read a few stories, keep everything quiet and dark and they just doze off. And then hubby and I high five and finally do something fun together.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (25-11-2015),Leettieb  (25-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    I have co slept and breastfed my two babies to sleep. It has worked very well for us, and I wouldn't try any alternative for future babies. As they grow older and are weaned (my first around 18 months, my second at 2.5) they are *usually* happy to just be in bed, read a few stories, keep everything quiet and dark and they just doze off. And then hubby and I high five and finally do something fun together.
    My kind of parenting

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (26-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS was rocked/cuddled to sleep as a baby and now we still lie with him until he's asleep at age 6, I'm cool with that, it only takes about 10 mins now before he's fast off. I still co-sleep too.