How do your babes get to sleep?? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do your babes get to sleep??

Very occasionally I'll put bub into bed for night sleep/ nap and she'll go straight off but this is super rare. Usually I feed or walk to sleep. Dd is only 8 months I'm ok with this but I get stuck during the night when boob doesn't work and there's no chance of me having a night/ few hours off as I've no back up plan! I'd add that i try and stick to basic routine for sleeps although can get messed up as have 2 noisy older kids.
    Just curious as to what others do? My other 2 weren't great sleepers either but good now so not worried about bad habits

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    My boys were patted to sleep. They would usually scream and cry and whimper for anywhere from 10-60minutes before they nodded off. They were my first and I was doing the best I could with two of them.

DD is fed to sleep. I apparently suck at working out how to get a baby to sleep without a lot of help, so I just chose to go with the flow with her. She still wakes through the night at very regular intervals for more milk, but that is the path I choose. She is much better at going straight back to sleep now, but if I think back to when she was 8 months she did have nights where she would be awake for hours, and I'm pretty sure her brain was too active trying to figure out her next great achievement, such as crawling, walking, talking etc. It lasted a few nights and then would go back to our warped version of normal

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (17-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I share a room with my Dd (1) so I usually put her in her cot and then lay in my bed and wait for her to go to sleep, it's a nice excuse for me to lay down too Lol.

It takes 5-10 mins most days, sometimes she won't lay down and will cry so I have to get her out and try again in a little bit, sometimes she just wants a drink or a cuddle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With our 1st I used to feed to sleep for every sleep. We co-slept. When that stopped working I just lay next to him until he fell asleep. Then that stopped working (even though I was pretending to sleep I was distracting him simply by being there, I wasn't helping him to sleep) and we did the controlled crying thing where you leave them for 2-5 mins then go back, resettle, kiss goodnight, and leave, rinse & repeat for as long as necessary. That worked well but he was a lot older than 8 months at that stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to have dd in the cot next to our bed. I would lie down on the bed and hold her hand until she fell asleep. When she turned 1 she didn't need this as much and started pulling her hand away when she was ready to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DD is 6 months and we say night night to everyone go in her room turn on the white noise, into the sleeping bag, dummy and comforter and thats it.. Sometimes I have to go in a couple of times and give her a pat but she's generally pretty good

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did controlled crying at 5 months and it took 2-3 days of crying for max 20 mins (with regular checks at 2 min then 5 mins etc) before DS could go to sleep on his own and it was the best thing we could have done. He went from waking at least hourly to sleeping through the night in 2 weeks. It's best to try not to have any sleep associations so that when they wake up during the night they can go back to sleep without needing the association, ie feeding, patting etc. once they learn to go to sleep on their own it makes life so much easier. We literally give him a feed, put straight in cot awake but sleepy and leave room and with very few exceptions he doesn't make a noise. It's the same for daytime naps, I just put him in his cot and leave room straight away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I put DS is his cot, give him a dummy and turn on his lullaby bear. I then stroke his forehead a few times say night night and leave. I usually need to go in and out a few times but I just repeat and he usually goes to sleep in about 10-20 minutes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And by the way the reason we resorted to controlled crying wasn't because we couldn't be bothered to soothe him to sleep it was because nothing we did seemed to help him and he would be kicking and screaming in our arms as he was so tired and desperately wanted to sleep but didn't know how. He's not a cuddly baby and for him being held, rocked etc didn't calm him down just wound him up. It's why I don't feel bad about doing the controlled crying as in my mind 10 mins of him crying on his own was no different to 10 mins of him kicking and screaming in my arms.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (17-12-2015)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I feed my 12 month old to sleep. Occasionally he will fall asleep in the pram or car for his day sleep.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app