+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cmpi and formulas

hi,

Sorry if this post has been done before. I'm looking for advice on finding the right element / hydrolysed formula.

My DS is 11 weeks old has moderate silent reflux and a Cmpi. He has been on losec for 3 weeks and alfamino for 9 days.

When we first started the alfamino he began to settle and so did his reflux. We believe his Cmpi is causing his reflux. However the last 5 days has seen him get increasingly irritable. He is not in any pain but tossing about after a feed. Not sleeping or napping well, wanting to suck (which he does when he is unsettled or in pain) rubbing his head into me, kicking off me, he is clearly being irritated by something. But, he also has watery mucousy poos. He is also really gassy, both ends, and that seems to be causing him issues too

My paed says continue with the formula! I know it can take a while but how could something that is meant to be good for him make him worse?

Does it get worse before it gets better?

At what point do we change formula?

What would be in this formula that isn't in another elements/hydrolysed Formula?

Why are his poos watery and mucousy?

Could he have an intolerance to something else as is he too young to find out?

Has anyone been through this and can shed some light?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ifonlys View Post
    Subbing
    Subbing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS had cmpi and we tried a few prescription formulas before finding the right one for him. We ended up on Neocate which was like magic. In our experience it didn't get worse before getting better - it got worse until we found the right formula and then it got better very quickly. Even more important though was getting the losec dose right (he had awful reflux). The dr had to keep increasing it til we hit the point where it worked well. Once the losec and formula were correct then DS was like a different child. Good luck, it's such a difficult thing to struggle with.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

graceadler  (29-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by graceadler View Post
    Subbing?
    It means they're subscribing to the thread to make it easier to find later. (Ie they're interested in the responses).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

graceadler  (29-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    My DS had cmpi and we tried a few prescription formulas before finding the right one for him. We ended up on Neocate which was like magic. In our experience it didn't get worse before getting better - it got worse until we found the right formula and then it got better very quickly. Even more important though was getting the losec dose right (he had awful reflux). The dr had to keep increasing it til we hit the point where it worked well. Once the losec and formula were correct then DS was like a different child. Good luck, it's such a difficult thing to struggle with.
    @MissMuppet how long was your bub on a formula before you changed to trail a new one?

So, one prescribed formula is not the same? My bub could go better on elecare or neocate??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Neocate and losec were (and remain) our magical combination. I shudder to think what life would have been like for both myself and dear DD without access to this formula and meds. I'm too scared to trial weaning of both now DD is nearly 12 months :-/ how have others done this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it works, it works. I'd be scared to wean too ;-) my DS is already on losec. His reflux is caused by his Cmpi so once that's under control he will start to be normal ;-)

A lot of bubs seem to respond to neocate. How long should I trail a formula before I change it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by graceadler View Post
    @MissMuppet how long was your bub on a formula before you changed to trail a new one?

So, one prescribed formula is not the same? My bub could go better on elecare or neocate??
    There are different prescription formulas and we had to try Pepti (which is only partially hydrolysed) before we were allowed to try Neocate (which is fully hydrolysed). I can't remember exactly how long we tried it because this is going back a few years now, but it was apparent very quickly that it didn't agree with him and our lovely paediatrician agreed and let us switch. I think it might have been about a week, not much more than that.

He loved the Neocate instantly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Missbear View Post
    Neocate and losec were (and remain) our magical combination. I shudder to think what life would have been like for both myself and dear DD without access to this formula and meds. I'm too scared to trial weaning of both now DD is nearly 12 months :-/ how have others done this?
    We stopped the losec too early I believe. We stopped it around the 12 month mark and DS went back to sleeping terribly again.

As for the Neocate, well DS had issues with food as well as with milk and he was on Neocate til he was about 3. We had a great paediatrician who knew him really well and was happy to supplement the food he did have with Neocate until he was eating sufficiently well to no longer need it. We gradually weaned him off it onto Zymil (the lactose free milk) over a period of about 6 months so his body had time to get used to the cows milk protein in small doses. We worked in close consultation with his paed so I'd recommend checking with your GP or paed before starting the weaning journey. Good luck!

ETA: I should add that in order to continue with the Neocate we had to see a Paediatric GE and Paediatric Allergist as well to make sure that he really did need it and to check for underlying issues. We had a whole team working for us.
    Last edited by MissMuppet; 29-01-2015 at 20:44.