+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sick Leave

Does anyone's employer give them a hard time of they're truely unwell & unable to attend work? I let my boss know tonight that I won't be in tomorrow as I've got a virus. I went to local after hours clinic to get a certificate & she's replied back are you serious that you're not well.
    Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last time I rang in sick my boss said that's fine don't worry about it at all. My DH's work has always been good about it too. I don't understand why bosses would want you at work spreading germs it's better for business if you stay away. Did you reply?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I replied to the first text saying don't be sorry I'm serious that I'm unwell. Then received subsequent text saying I'm concerned there's more to it as you seemed ok when I left tonight.

I'm totally gutted & furious. I love my job but know & work with young children & no doubt caught a bug off them & don't need to spread germs

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Sick Leave

They could be genuinely concerned that something happened to you between leaving work and now.

Having said that, you've given notice that you're unfit for work and that's all there really should be to it.

Don't engage further. You're entitled to personal leave, you have a certificate. You've met your obligations.

If you have a good relationship with your boss, I'd catch up with them when you're back at work and just have a chat about how the questioning made you feel

P.S I hope you feel better soon!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (01-02-2015),soccer mum  (31-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    your boss is being a cow.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (29-01-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    its hard when your employer is difficult about it.

I had a boss like that a while back. It wasnt much fun

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Is your relationship with your boss normally a good one? To me it sounds like she's worried something emotional has happened or maybe something with a co-worker, etc.

If she's normally a cow to you then she's just being a cow and yeah, I've had workplaces that are crap like that and it sucks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you had much time off? My boss is ok with occasional days off, it's not really an issue. However we recently had one staff member take so many sick days that everyone talked about her behind her back about it and she ended up quitting because she admitted herself that she had become too unreliable.

If in your case it's a one off then that's crazy. Completely unfair.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (30-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sick Leave

My boss was the same before I went on mat leave. She even found it really hard to accept the fact I needed to go to my antenatal clinic during work hours. I was often sick and I'm in a role where I'm talking all day on the phone so it's almost impossible to work when you've got bronchitis. I got the medical certificate and the day off but didn't stop her from giving me a hard time.

In saying that, she's pretty much always a cow so it was no exception. I hear though that since I've been gone on mat leave she's been demoted....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha yes they did all the time.

Would vary from questioning exactly why I wasn't coming to work to asking if I even liked my job.

To be fair, I took a fair bit of leave last year because I was quite unwell. The way I see it - you are entitled to leave, you have a certificate, let them be in a snit about it if they want.

Hope you feel better soon