+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Meningococcal B Vaccine- Bexsero

Hi all, I am taking my nearly 7 month old daughter for her first Meningococcal B Vaccine- Bexsero injection tomorrow alongside her other 6 month vaccinations. I am a little nervous about it as I have heard that it can cause high temperatures/fever. We will give Panadol before as advised. I'm wondering two things:

a) Even with Panadol has anyone still had complications or high temperatures with their bubs when vaccinated with Bexsero?

b) I am unsure if I should also have my 4 year old daughter vaccinated with Bexsero. It seems that most of the focus for the vaccine is around vaccinating babies, however I thought that children up to age five still fell into the higher risk category and therefore I should organise a vaccination for my four year old? What are others thoughts/experiences?

Thanks in advance.

BB.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My GP wouldn't give my DS the shot with other immunisations as there's the risk of one clashing with the other causing temps - would only do them a month apart
    My DD was 4 and advised it wasn't really worth it over 2/3 yo.
    Let us know how you go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had the first two shots done at 5 and 7 months as we were advised to wait a month after the standard 4 and 6 month ones.
    DS only had a very mild fever after both, he actually had a higher temp after the regular 2/4/6 month shots. I think I gave one additional dose of Panadol after each (as well as the recommended dose beforehand). He was a bit cranky in the evening after the second round of Bexsero but I can't say for sure if that was due to the vax or if he was just having a bad day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your thoughts everyone. We didn't end up doing the Bexsero this week as the nurses were unsure as to whether the Bexsero is ok to do with the Rotavirus vaccine. They said it was safe with all the other ones but that the Rotavirus wasn't listed so we are going next week to do the Bexsero vaccine. I have decided to vaccinate my 4 year old as I spoke with my paediatrician who suggested that it is worthwhile vaccinating her as well.

All the best.

BB.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this is an old thread, but I am considering this for my 15 week old DS. Sounds like its better to stagger it, so may not give it next week with his 4 month shots as planned.

Any one else have experience / advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Meningococcal B Vaccine- Bexsero

Quote Originally Posted by lileitak View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I am considering this for my 15 week old DS. Sounds like its better to stagger it, so may not give it next week with his 4 month shots as planned.

Any one else have experience / advice?
    I've just received my scripts for dd1 (almost 3) and dd2 (3 weeks).

With dd2 the gp advised to leave it till after 6 months as one less dose is required.
    Also to stagger it ie not give with other vaccinations as it is too much for them, it will make them sore and grizzly
    And unlike others they advise giving panadol before.

And to ring around chemists as there can be a price discrepancy of up to $50 a dose.

It's been on my to do list for ages. I'm disappointed it's not free or well advertised but glad my gp pushed it with me.

Eta: just in case you didn't know, you need a prescription to purchase it yourself before hand from a chemist and then your gp/nurse administers it

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

ilex  (22-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't realise there was one less dose after 6 months... That sounds like a good plan, I sob every time he gets a shot.

And I'be got the script in my hot little hand. Only now it will stay on the fridge for a couple months. 😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did after six months. Also if you have Private Health Insurance check if your fund will allow you to submit a claim. Ours did, every little bit helps as it is an expensive immunisation but we decided worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. To those of you waiting until 6 months, don't you think that kind of defeats the purpose if you are planning on doing it anyway? They are at highest risk under 24months, so the sooner the better so that they are actually protected from the deadly illness you are vaccinating for. It is completely fine to give at the same time as the 2,4,6 month vaccines.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Based on the data, it's safe to have with the 2/4/6 injections, but our GP prefers to stagger it anyway (at. 3/5/7) to reduce the demand on the chikd's immune system.

So far with DS1 (and now DS2) they've had mildly elevated temps for a day or two afterwards. However, they've both had a very noticeable injection site nodule (red, firm lump) for a couple of weeks afterwards.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 23-11-2015 at 04:35.