+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    2
    Reviews
    0

    Question Meningococcal B Vaccine- Bexsero

    Hi all, I am taking my nearly 7 month old daughter for her first Meningococcal B Vaccine- Bexsero injection tomorrow alongside her other 6 month vaccinations. I am a little nervous about it as I have heard that it can cause high temperatures/fever. We will give Panadol before as advised. I'm wondering two things:

    a) Even with Panadol has anyone still had complications or high temperatures with their bubs when vaccinated with Bexsero?

    b) I am unsure if I should also have my 4 year old daughter vaccinated with Bexsero. It seems that most of the focus for the vaccine is around vaccinating babies, however I thought that children up to age five still fell into the higher risk category and therefore I should organise a vaccination for my four year old? What are others thoughts/experiences?

    Thanks in advance.

    BB.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,657
    Thanks
    602
    Thanked
    599
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My GP wouldn't give my DS the shot with other immunisations as there's the risk of one clashing with the other causing temps - would only do them a month apart
    My DD was 4 and advised it wasn't really worth it over 2/3 yo.
    Let us know how you go

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,369
    Thanks
    500
    Thanked
    1,489
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had the first two shots done at 5 and 7 months as we were advised to wait a month after the standard 4 and 6 month ones.
    DS only had a very mild fever after both, he actually had a higher temp after the regular 2/4/6 month shots. I think I gave one additional dose of Panadol after each (as well as the recommended dose beforehand). He was a bit cranky in the evening after the second round of Bexsero but I can't say for sure if that was due to the vax or if he was just having a bad day.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    2
    Reviews
    0
    Thanks so much for your thoughts everyone. We didn't end up doing the Bexsero this week as the nurses were unsure as to whether the Bexsero is ok to do with the Rotavirus vaccine. They said it was safe with all the other ones but that the Rotavirus wasn't listed so we are going next week to do the Bexsero vaccine. I have decided to vaccinate my 4 year old as I spoke with my paediatrician who suggested that it is worthwhile vaccinating her as well.

    All the best.

    BB.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,351
    Thanks
    558
    Thanked
    729
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know this is an old thread, but I am considering this for my 15 week old DS. Sounds like its better to stagger it, so may not give it next week with his 4 month shots as planned.

    Any one else have experience / advice?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,571
    Thanks
    9,204
    Thanked
    4,447
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Meningococcal B Vaccine- Bexsero

    Quote Originally Posted by lileitak View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I am considering this for my 15 week old DS. Sounds like its better to stagger it, so may not give it next week with his 4 month shots as planned.

    Any one else have experience / advice?
    I've just received my scripts for dd1 (almost 3) and dd2 (3 weeks).

    With dd2 the gp advised to leave it till after 6 months as one less dose is required.
    Also to stagger it ie not give with other vaccinations as it is too much for them, it will make them sore and grizzly
    And unlike others they advise giving panadol before.

    And to ring around chemists as there can be a price discrepancy of up to $50 a dose.

    It's been on my to do list for ages. I'm disappointed it's not free or well advertised but glad my gp pushed it with me.

    Eta: just in case you didn't know, you need a prescription to purchase it yourself before hand from a chemist and then your gp/nurse administers it

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

    ilex  (22-11-2015)

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,351
    Thanks
    558
    Thanked
    729
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't realise there was one less dose after 6 months... That sounds like a good plan, I sob every time he gets a shot.

    And I'be got the script in my hot little hand. Only now it will stay on the fridge for a couple months. 😄

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    2
    Reviews
    0
    We did after six months. Also if you have Private Health Insurance check if your fund will allow you to submit a claim. Ours did, every little bit helps as it is an expensive immunisation but we decided worth it.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked
    5
    Reviews
    3
    Hi. To those of you waiting until 6 months, don't you think that kind of defeats the purpose if you are planning on doing it anyway? They are at highest risk under 24months, so the sooner the better so that they are actually protected from the deadly illness you are vaccinating for. It is completely fine to give at the same time as the 2,4,6 month vaccines.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    866
    Thanks
    1,004
    Thanked
    616
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Based on the data, it's safe to have with the 2/4/6 injections, but our GP prefers to stagger it anyway (at. 3/5/7) to reduce the demand on the chikd's immune system.

    So far with DS1 (and now DS2) they've had mildly elevated temps for a day or two afterwards. However, they've both had a very noticeable injection site nodule (red, firm lump) for a couple of weeks afterwards.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 23-11-2015 at 04:35.


 

Similar Threads

  1. New meningococcal B vaccine but you will have to pay
    By nicole83 in forum Pro-Vaccination
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 17-09-2014, 16:31
  2. Will you get the meningococcal B vaccine for your child?
    By WiseOldOwl in forum Immunisation & Vaccines
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-07-2014, 21:17
  3. Meningococcal B vaccine is out today.
    By beebs in forum Pro-Vaccination
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 07:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Hills Swimming
Swim with your friends and you will all get a 33% discount!* We have programs to suit all ages and abilities, with small classes held in our warm indoor 25 metre pool. Highly qualified teachers, and award winning programs. *conditions apply
featured supporter
KindyROO
KindyROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available at three Brisbane and two Gold Coast locations. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!