+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    I am wondering if everyone would be so quick to defend the restaurant if say it were a severe peanut allergy that they were notified about when ordering and yet they still served soemthing containing peanuts...cos to me, all food allergies should be treated the same by a restaurant, as you just never know how severe the reaction might be...
    I dont know about you but if my child had a severe peanut allergy theres no way they would be shoving it in their gob before id triple checked the food myself.

The difference is there is an element of personal responsibility here. The friend is an adult who was cautious of the food to begin with. It was not a sneaky nut hidden in a sauce, its a pizza base.. which are pretty universally known for containing gluten.

Its like me wearing my shoelaces untied then suing the council when i trip over them on the footpath. I could have tied them up in 3 seconds and saved a whole lot of trouble!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am wondering if everyone would be so quick to defend the restaurant if say it were a severe peanut allergy that they were notified about when ordering and yet they still served soemthing containing peanuts...cos to me, all food allergies should be treated the same by a restaurant, as you just never know how severe the reaction might be...
    My son is allergic to nuts and there is no way I would give him something if I wasn't 100% sure he could eat it. Say we were at a Thai/Chinese restaurant and someone ordered satay chicken and another saucy chicken dish. If they looked the same/similar I certainly wouldn't just give him the food!

My mum has celiacs and has either sent food back and ordered something else or not eaten what was ordered if she was in doubt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Like I said in my earlier post in the thread, I definitely think there is some personal responsibility here, but that doesnt detract from the restaurant's responsibility to serve what was asked for.

I have a son with a lot of allergies and I am extremely careful also. But I do believe the restaurant has a responsibility here and that they have failed in their responsibility thats all. A lot of responses are just focusint on the fact that the customer didnt triple check - regardless of that, havint worked in food service myself, I just personally believe that if someone has mentioned an intolerance or allergy then the restaurant has a responsibility to serve them food that wont make them sick. If they cant make that guarantee then they should state that fact to the customer.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (28-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you had an allergy to pine nuts, you ordered a salad it had nuts sprinkled threw it but hey you said to the waiter so they must be cashews chopped up... Doesn't matter the allergy in the end it's YOUR responsibility to assure everyone else is vigilant! If they had of asked n said yes it's gf that's a bigger issue
    It's a pain in the **** but you always check! When they placed the meal down the eater should have Said "just checking the base is gf?". But the restraint do owe an apology. Not really much more tho. Maybe a bit of education for their staff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I have already said twice now in this thread that there does need to be personal responsibility. I just believe that the restaurant should deliver what was ordered and double checked before they placed the order.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (28-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have already said twice now in this thread that there does need to be personal responsibility. I just believe that the restaurant should deliver what was ordered and double checked before they placed the order.
    I definitely agree. The restaurant should do those things. Allergies are a pain without having to triple check everything twice.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (28-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your response above mine didn't show until I had sent 👍👍

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read the entire thread but from someone who has worked in hospitality I can assure you that *some* staff treat gf as a fad diet rather than a serious allergy. It's totally wrong and I don't agree with it, but I have seen that attitude a bit. Having said that every place I have worked for has always been careful with allergies (even if they grumble) as an (ex) restaurant manager I would like you to ask if you are not sure. Give me the chance to fix it now, I can't do anything about it after. There is nothing more annoying than a complaint at the end of the night, next week or whenever. I want the chance to fix it now so you still enjoy your experience.

As a consumer I trust no one, I check and double check if I think I need too. Maybe it's because I know how frantic it can can get I am more aware of how easily slip ups happen.

In the situation I checked and was assured and then got sick I would call the very next day and express my concerns and disappointment to management in the hopes they implement a system to stop it happening again.

Yes it shouldn't happen allergies can be life threatening but you are dealing with people who are not perfect and make mistakes just like everyone else does