+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    Having a child with life threatening food allergies this is how we handle restaurant food orders:

Explain in detail at time of ordering that the menu request is due to a life threatening condition so not only does the food need to be free of the foods mentioned, they also need to take extra care in the kitchen when it comes to preparation etc.

When the food comes out, we basically pull the meal apart looking for anything that may have caused the food to be contaminated. If we can't be sure and we are concerned we double check with the waiter/waitress that it is free of all the ingredients that we mentioned. If it's something we can taste for, one of us takes a bite (usually the adult who is yet to eat anything at all) and then we okay for it to be eaten.

Sometimes restaurants make mistakes...we are understanding of this. We once had to ring an ambulance at a restaurant because of a mistake...now we had two options....go back and blast the waitress for making a mistake and not passing the details on to the chef properly, or go back and let them know that our child was okay and politely talk to them about how important it is to pass the message on properly. We chose the latter, and the waitress was in tears, explaining that she found out her grandfather was dying just before her shift, and that she lay awake all night worried that she had put a small child in hospital. Honestly, there was just no need to blast the waitress, or the chef, or leave a bad review online. It was a mistake, and we learnt from it that night too (ie. don't assume it is safe, pull everything apart incase there is cheese hidden under the salad that you can't see until it's been half eaten )
    This is what we do. My daughter has life threatening allergies. Sometimes people make mistakes and as much as I want to tear shreds off them they are just human.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hang on, your friend ordered a gf pizza, thought it looked like a regular pizza, but ate it anyway, and now wants to blame the restaurant??

Yeah, no. If she had any doubts about the pizza, she should have questioned it.

I would be in agreement to her letting the restaurant know that she was ill after eating what was supposed to be a gf pizza, and that she would appreciate staff being made more aware of gf practices. In a non-confronting, non-blaming manner.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (28-01-2015),vampstorso  (28-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've asked a couple more questions on the situation which some of you have wondered about. A few extra facts:

- Family member ordered a completely different pizza to their companion, so it wasn't a case of the accidental switcheroo.

- They ordered at the counter, made it very clear that they were intolerant to gluten (as stated earlier, they asked the staff to check with the kitchen, including a specific enquiry about the BBQ sauce on the base).

- They paid $3 extra for the gluten free base, and this was reflected on their receipt.

- Family member has not taken up the issue with the restaurant, but they have reported it to a higher authority who will be visiting the establishment.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (28-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I'm sorry, whilst I appreciate the restaurants fault in this, your family member seriously needs to take responsibility for eating a pizza that they suspected wasn't actually gluten free.

They should have checked when they recieved the pizza.
    I agree to an extent. It would have been wise to double check when there was doubt.

I'm guessing after being so explicit about ordering a gluten free option, they didn't suspect they would be served a gluten based pizza.

As stated earlier in the thread, I myself have an allergy to eggs. I've had many occasions where I've unfortunately had allergic reactions because staff have not checked properly.

The only time I've actually vocally complained was on one occasion where I explicitly asked about a meal, then got served the meal and had instant doubts, took the meal back to ask 'are you sure this is safe for me to eat?', was told it was okay, took a couple of bites and instantly knew I'd eaten egg (my reaction is swift). I actually burst into tears because they ruined my birthday. They apologised and gave me my money back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Degrassi View Post

I'm guessing after being so explicit about ordering a gluten free option, they didn't suspect they would be served a gluten based pizza.
    This from your OP:
    When the pizzas arrive they look the same. You are apprehensive
    So your family member did suspect it. And really should have checked.

Yes the restaurant is at fault for its practices. But they are at fault for eating something they had doubts with.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We go through this all the time as my DH is gluten intolerant. He's learnt from experience that you never ever order GF pizza, despite reassurances from the cafe/restaurant, it's just asking for trouble. Much better to order something that you know to be totally GF.

In answer to your query though, we would contact the cafe/restaurant and let them know. Depending on how they respond, we would then decide if the issue needs to be taken further, i.e. negative review or social media commentary.

Mistakes happen in restaurant kitchens, which is why it's better to avoid things like pizza/pasta, etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    I think it's been covered but while the fault does lay with the restaurant for getting the order wrong, there is a certain level of personal responsibility here that they're not acknowledging. They were apprehensive, had they asked and been told it was all okay but it had gluten in it then by all means go for the jugular but they laid it out, the message either wasn't passed on, was passed on incorrectly or there was a mix-up with what was taken out and that does need to be addressed. However, they still should've double checked when they were suspicious. I have foods I simply don't like that I double check on when ordering/receiving my order!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I am wondering if everyone would be so quick to defend the restaurant if say it were a severe peanut allergy that they were notified about when ordering and yet they still served soemthing containing peanuts...cos to me, all food allergies should be treated the same by a restaurant, as you just never know how severe the reaction might be...

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (28-01-2015),GlitterFarts  (28-01-2015),jb23  (28-01-2015),LoveLivesHere  (28-01-2015)

NurseAnni is offline Winner 2014 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The only way to have a truly GF pizza is if it was prepared in a totally separate area, or all implements, benches, ovens etc are scrubbed and toppings kept separate. Cross contamination occurs so easily like kitchens flour down benches, use the same spoon to spread sauce on the regular pizza then spread it on the GF pizza... Im finding it hard to be sympathetic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    I am wondering if everyone would be so quick to defend the restaurant if say it were a severe peanut allergy that they were notified about when ordering and yet they still served soemthing containing peanuts...cos to me, all food allergies should be treated the same by a restaurant, as you just never know how severe the reaction might be...
    I don't think anyone has said the restaurant was in the right, clearly they're not but the person who ordered was suspicious of the pizza they were served and chose to eat it anyway without double checking. As I said, I have double checked in restaurants on foods that I simply don't like eating. I don't understand why when they were suspicious it was not gluten free that they didn't hail down and waiter and double check. Should they have to do that? No. Should they have done that anyway? Yes.