+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    You should have asked for clarification at the time of serving. It's not the restaurants fault if you ate the wrong pizza.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You should have asked for clarification at the time of serving. It's not the restaurants fault if you ate the wrong pizza.
    I agree that if it were me, I would have double checked But I do believe the restaurant has a responsibility to serve the correct meal if the patron has asked a question about ingredients for health reasons. My SIL is extremely allergic to sesame seeds. If she ordered something and clarified that there were to be none in it and assured by the wait staff that there would be none, then was served something with sesame seeds it would most definitely be the restaurant's fault IMO. Its no different here. But again I would have double checked because I am rather untrusting of most wait staff.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (28-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for the responses.

The family member in question is furious and ready to go for the jugular.

I personally have my own food allergy (eggs) and there is no way I would have tucked into the pizza without questioning why the 'gluten-free' base appeared the same as the regular base.

Might try and find out what they have done about it. Eek!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (28-01-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (27-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so from the perspective of someone who works in the industry:

Yes the person in question probably should have double checked as yes usually gluten free pizzas look different.
    However as this was a dietary request and not just a dislike I believe the restaurant has stuffed up in a pretty big way. It is not ok to be blase(sp?) about something that could potentially make some one very sick.
    Therefore I would be contacting the restaurant via email and letting them know what happened and what the consequences were.
    What I do next would be based on their response.

As far as I am concerned any dietary requirement should be taken as seriously as a nut allergy. You never know how a person could be affected therefore you shouldn't take the risk.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jb23 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (28-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jb23 View Post
    Ok so from the perspective of someone who works in the industry:

Yes the person in question probably should have double checked as yes usually gluten free pizzas look different.
    However as this was a dietary request and not just a dislike I believe the restaurant has stuffed up in a pretty big way. It is not ok to be blase(sp?) about something that could potentially make some one very sick.
    Therefore I would be contacting the restaurant via email and letting them know what happened and what the consequences were.
    What I do next would be based on their response.

As far as I am concerned any dietary requirement should be taken as seriously as a nut allergy. You never know how a person could be affected therefore you shouldn't take the risk.
    Your right, but accidents do happen and the onus is really on oneself to ensure that they are safe. If you have an allergy then you shouldnt be trusting anyone with your food 100%. Asking the question before eating would have taken 3 seconds.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (28-01-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (27-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think blame falls onto both sides here. Yes the staff should have clearly pointed out which was which. But your family member said they didn't know which pizza was gluten free.... yet ate it anyway knowing the effect it would have? Had they asked, and were told the wrong one, then I would say the restaurant were fully to blame.

In this particular case, a phone call to tell the chef/owner what happened and to explain the effect it had is in order. But your family member also needs to take ownership as well.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Did I tell the staff that I was a celiac? Was that made very clear? Or is it possible that they thought it was a lifestyle/taste preference? Unless I stressed very carefully that it was potentially disastrous for me to eat gluten then really it's pretty much my own fault if I didn't make it abundantly clear, and then didn't double check when I had my doubts.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

delirium  (27-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some people are gluten intolerant and will have a bad reaction to eating it, other people order gluten free as a lifestyle choice. If you knew that gluten makes you really sick and both pizzas looked the same it would make sense to double check which is which as the kitchen can make a mistake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I was thinking the same thing with allergy vs lifestyle choice

Thanks
    Reviews
    First I would have checked BEFORE eating, especially if they looked the same, you can't be too careful when it comes to allergies.

I would complain to the restaurant & potentially take it further.