+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to throw a Baby Shower when your friends don't have babies?

Hi all,

Ive tried googling for ideas to no avail.

I wasn't too sure about the idea of a baby shower. Ive only ever been to one when I was well off having a child, and honestly found it really awkward and a bit of a bore.
    All the games about kids etc just didn't relate too me and I didn't understand them. It was however a great party for those that did.

99% of my friends do not have kids, and probably arent even close to considering it. Some also not even maternal.
    My DF really insists I have and enjoy a baby shower,

But I cant really think of ways to throw one that are relevant to my friendship circle.

Has anyone done something similar or have suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not a fan of traditional baby showers with silly games, and just women invited, etc. We just had a low key party one afternoon, asked people to bring a plate, invited men and kids too, and said that presents were optional. Very happy with this :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    None of our friends had kids when our first was due, and most of our friends are/were male. We just had a BBQ at our place, and had a bit of a baby themed party. We made a rainbow of various brightly coloured food, cookie monster cupcakes, my sister painted peoples' bellies (mostly men), and we did a couple of games. Otherwise we played pool, used the spa, played video games etc. It was great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have one for a similar reason, a lot of my friends are child free and personally I find them boring.

I just went out for a nice lunch instead. I have also been out to some nice high teas for other friends which I have enjoyed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do what you normally do with your friend. Go out for lunch, host a bbq or have drinks out somewhere.

Just do what you normally do for fun and call it your baby shower.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    I agree with the other ladies, just do a BBQ with everyone invited. If you want a more traditional type baby shower, the peg game always goes down well, people are so competitive about it! They'll swoop down from the other side of the room to grab a peg. I'd just steer away from games that require "baby knowledge" but the chocolate bars melted in the nappy is always a giggle and only requires knowledge of chocolate which we all have! 😉

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to throw a Baby Shower when your friends don't have babies?

I was the first (and still the only one) of my friends to have a baby. They threw me a baby shower. I told them what I wanted. Low key, food, no crazy games. They did just that. We had afternoon tea at my house. The only games we played were the peg game (you all get a peg. If you say baby you lose your peg. Person with the most pegs at the end wins) and they bought a white onesie and wrote what they thought the birth stats would be. It was nice and I (well baby) got totally spoilt! Talk to your friends about it. You don't have to have a tea party. You can go out for lunch, go to a spa, go on a boat cruise, have a BBQ, whatever you want.
    They invited some of our guy friends from work and they loved it! It's your party. Do what you enjoy!
    Last edited by Mrs Snowman; 27-01-2015 at 12:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im also not a fan of baby showers and boring games, even aftee i have kids! My favourite baby shower has been going to a brunch with the mum to be and friends/ family, at a nice cafe. I refused to have a baby shower, so dont feel like you have to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would do a High Tea- champagne, finger foods, cupcakes, tea, coffee.
    Have girl and boy cupcakes, neutral or if you know pick one. Decorate to suit.
    (DollarKing, etc have awesome little baby shower stuff).
    Then basic games- who can change a nappy fastest using a doll, guess your baby's sex, height, weight, D.O.B. etc (have something for the winner).
    Also, create a onesie corner- buy lots of cheap white onesies, put paint, glitter, etc nearby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was the first of my circle of friends to have kids so I hosted a high tea at my place. We didn't play games but rather had a lovely catch up with friends and family.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.