+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went for an u/s recently after I spoke with my GP about some concerns I had with my pregnancy. She wrote on the referral to `please discuss the results with patient', so as the scan was happening the sonographer told me what she could see, what it meant etc.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

TheMadHatter  (27-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My experience is only at what was a 6/7 week dating scan. The sonographer was quiet and said 'the scan is showing you maybe very, very early in pregnancy like 4 weeks'. I said I wasn't and I knew this to be true from when I got positive preg results.
    I could tell she was very hesitant to say anything but really I answered it for her. I went to the docs that day and the outcome was mos likely not viable.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to acerbaby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had experienced a late loss, when I fell pregnant again. My doctor (a professor) ordered scans at a large public hospital where he could over see them. I had developed a great relationship with the sonographer, so she was always willing to tell me if the baby had grown from one week to the next. If there was a problem, my doctor could decide the next steps to take. But it is sonographers job, to pass on the results to the doctor not inform, unfortunately.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to New Hope For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies it seems like most people find out if something's wrong pretty quickly. I guess I'm a bit upset as it was so major (both kidneys 3x the size they should be, covered with cysts, not shaped properly, and low amniotic fluid!!) and the sonographer was so bright and cheery we didn't even suspect anything could have been wrong. She didn't get a picture of the stomach either, I understand baby might have been in a bad position but I think she might have mentioned something.
    I think I'm going to see if I can get a scan at a tertiary hospital next time, even if I just get one at 13 weeks & if everything looks fine get the others done at the local hospital.
    Thanks all

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (28-01-2015),Shamy1  (28-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Sonographers can't comment on the results of your scan. They provide the images, which are reviewed by a radiologist and reported. If there's anything abnormal than there should be an immediate phone call to your care provider who will then contact you for an urgent appointment.

It's not their job sorry.
    Am aware of this as written in my first post. Would have been nice if the immediate call to my care provider and urgent appointment had happened though rather than taking a week for me to find out anything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We knew something was wrong with our 18 week scan when the technician left the room for a few minutes then came back with the head doctor. They explained that DD brain hadn't quiet connected. That they're not sure if it's an issue or a normal abnormality. We had to go back 2 weeks later to see if it had joined. It hadn't but was told to just wait and see as it could be a normal abnormality.
    DD is now 17 months and very happy healthy and smart so we think it was a normal abnormality thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh I might want to add that they said they would rush results through and to make an appointment asap with our oby

Thanks
    Reviews
    I seem to have nothing but bad scans
    At my 19 week scan we were told by the sonographer that our baby was measuring very small with nearly no amniotic fluid (I had no idea at the time what it meant, but I see now she was telling me in the nicest possible way that it wasn't good) I was then referred straight up to talk with a dr, this scan was at a hospital. Our baby died at 21 weeks.

I have had two misscarriages since then and at each scan (also done at hospital) the sonographer talked me through what they were seeing and ultimately ending with them telling me the pregnancys were not viable.

Pretty sure I'm turned of prenatal scans for life....

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app