+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sedation for sleep?

This might come across wrong, or rock the boat, but I'm desperate, please don't rip me apart.

My 15mo DD still only sleeps for approx 3 hrs a night and screams the rest of the night. We've tried sleep schools, sleep consultants, numerous different routines and diets.
    I'm going to my GP tomorrow for personal reasons, but I'm thinking of asking her if there is a medication I can give to DD to help her sleep.

Is that even a possibility? Is that a thing that can be done?

I'm at my wits end. It's affecting both my and DH's careers too.

Has anyone had any experience with medications to promote or help a toddler sleep through the night?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes there is and there is a strict routine to using it to break the non sleep cycle.

I know that phenergan has been used like this under dr direction and monitoring.

We have used phenergan for my DS eczema to promote sleep.

Ask your GP about it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

alexis243  (26-01-2015)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Yes there is and there is a strict routine to using it to break the non sleep cycle.

I know that phenergan has been used like this under dr direction and monitoring.

We have used phenergan for my DS eczema to promote sleep.

Ask your GP about it.
    Just be aware that phenergan has the opposite effect on some kids, so just prepared for that. My dd bounced around like a rubber ball.

Do you know what is causing the screaming, ie tummy problems, reflux etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Just be aware that phenergan has the opposite effect on some kids, so just prepared for that. My dd bounced around like a rubber ball.

Thats true. We used it for eczema which was stopping sleep, being an anti histamine it worked for the itch and I guess lucky it helped him sleep too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post

Same with my DD.
    I know some people who use melatonin. I hope you get some help, OP xx

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Phenergan had my daughter swinging from the light fittings, just be aware that it doesn't always promote sleep. I was prescribed phenergan myself a few years ago and while I did sleep when I woke I felt very odd, like a hangover but not. It wasn't very pleasant.

I feel for you though one of mine was missing the sleep chip and while she sleeps fabulously now there were times when I thought we would never see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies

As far as I know, she had no reason not to sleep. No reflux etc etc.
    the one thing that I do wonder about, is the fact that she has Turner syndrome. And while it doesn't affect her hardly at all (only ovary problems) an endocrinologist once told me that bad sleep happens to some Turner syndrome girls, although I haven't been able to find much info to cement that.

I'm going to do round 2 at sleep school again, it will improve our routine again, but I don't see it being a solution unfortunately

Thanks
    Reviews
    I to had a DS that was a non sleeper, from when he was 6 months until 19 months, he would "sleep" from 8-9pm ( after hours of trying to settle) and wake at 12 and cry until 3-4am then sleep until 5am, we spent close to a $1000 on sleep school, diets and routine trying to " fix " him as a last desperate measure we tried phenergan until a drs supervision - it had the opposite effect.
    It's a vicious cycle, he wouldn't sleep so he'd be cranky, tantrums all day. I found it very hard to be around him and I felt like we missed out on 13 months of enjoying him and our now 5 year old DD.
    I totally understand where you are right now it's desperation wrapped in exhaustion. Sorry I have rambled I just wanted you to know that you are not alone and for whatever reason when he was 19 months it's like sleep just clicked and DS now sleeps 12 hours a night.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tproz For This Useful Post:

alexis243  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My sister was like this. After getting her Adnoids removed and gromets put in she actually slept properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Melatonin will help her fall asleep but not stay asleep - if that makes sense

Have you tried the herbal route? A naturopath may prescribe some stuff that has sedative effects. It works for me and my anxiety issues (calmative).

I'm not versed in Turner Syndrome but my daughter has a genetic disorder and part of it is a regression stage. During the start of it she would be screaming for hours on end at night, I'd be walking her in the pram around our dining table for 5-6 hours to keep her lulled, it was exhausting - it was just part of the disorder and thankfully she outgrew it.

All the best xxx