+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sleeping bag help!

Looking at getting sleeping bags for DS during winter, I just don't know what 'tog' (is that right? Lol)

We live in the central west and it gets COLD! But his bedroom is closest to lounge room and will get heat from the fire place, we also have ducted heating if it's freezing. He moves a lot in his sleep so want them so that it will stay on not like a blanket.

He was always wrapped during last winter so never had to worry but now I think we need something like a sleeping bag.

All the tog things are confusing me!
    Any help please!

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in Brisbane and it gets cold enough here to need a 2.5 tog in winter, but we don't often use heating. I have been known to put my babies in 2 x 2.5 tog bags when we're down south!
    I have read somewhere that an adult doona is probably up to 15 tog, so the warmest sleeping bags aren't all that warm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! That actually helps me! Would I be best getting one of the warmest ones?? They give u guides on what to put LOs in as well, if I were to put him in winter pjs and singlet and thick socks is going to work? Or will I need to layer him up more? He does get warm at night and sweats if he's hot (which is usually where e kicks his blankets off. I don't want him to be cold but I also don't want him to get too hot. It's a bit confusing lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Gro-bag ones have a bit of a guide for what to dress them in depending on the temperature. A room thermometer is good so you know the inside temperature. I've also been using this guide lately (hoping link will work)

http://www.saveoursleep.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/save-our-sleep-article-safe-bedding-guide.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is in a 1 tog atm and I just put a post up a few days back that he's always cold, especially by 3/4am, and it's meant to be warm enough for summer weather! I dress him way more than the guidelines to keep him warm. I'm going to get a 3.5 tog for winter and see if it's warm enough (we're down south) and I'm currently trying to find a 2.5 tog one for now (haven't had much luck finding one in store yet -they all seem to be 0.5 and 1 tog right now).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Google Baby Curls website, they are in UK but ship here, cheaper to get grobags even with postage.

At the moment I use 0.5tog during the day & 1tog at night, if it's going to below 10 degrees overnight I'll put him in a 2.5tog... But he's always in long PJ's (tshirt type material) with socks.

In winter we add a singlet & socks & flannel PJ's & always 2.5tog, I've never felt the need to use a 3.5tog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much ladies! This all helps. We have a room thermometer and during winter last year it would tell us his room was close to 12 degrees even with the heater on, we moved it as it was near a window and it crept up but it's never more than 18 degrees in there with the heater on because it's so cold outside, he was in a room that didn't get much warmth from the fire but was closest to ours that's why we put him in there, he was never cold though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I very strongly believe that it is really important to get a sleeping bag that is 100% cotton or bamboo. Even in cold rooms the polyester ones will make bub sweat. Read the packaging carefully cos many brands will say 100% cotton in big letters and then in little letters it will say cotton outter and polyester filling. Cheeky buggers! I think 3.5 tog is the warmest you will find and just like a pp mentioned just keep in mind that most doonas are 15-18tog and most adults are also sleeping with another person that further warms up their bed. So in a cold 18 degree room I would be dressing my bub in 2 layers of cotton clothes/pj's + sleeping bag + bamboo blankets.
    Good luck. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you!!
    I'll have to buy online, I've been looking around and can't find much around here, limited choice.

I'm off to online shop lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    I got merino wool ones from merinokids.com.au. They're usually $150 each but I got them on special for $50 a pop and got four! They last from 0-2 and don't have togs so you just always use the same bag no matter the weather and dress bub differently underneath. ☺️