+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    PlayNice is offline Saving the world one chocolate at a time
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It really is a bizarre move.

Giving an Aussie knighthood on Australia Day to a non-Aussie with a million other titles.

Its like self-sabotage.
    Truly bizarre.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    I'm glad it's something we all seem to agree on, left or right, that this is an absolute w@nk!
    Yep. If the formula ad people wanted to show we're all united then they should have gone with "we may have different beliefs but one thing we all agree upon is that TA got it wrong" as their tagline.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (26-01-2015),MonsterMummy  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not even sure how TA is bestowing knighthood on anybody. I always thought the reigning monarch was the only one that could.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I am a very passionate Liberal supporter...but not a huge fan of Tony Abbott. I do, however, have an old-man crush on Peter Costello, and would LOVE for him to be Prime Minister. And yes...I do realise I have a sickness.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I love Peter Costello too. Maybe not as much as you though ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    You've always convenyed compassion, understanding. .. a social conscience through your posts. Essentially all qualities liberal supporters don't have. Just..wow!
    Ouch. 😕

Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    I think if Costello had replaced Howard as leader in the final year of his term, they would have had a better shot at winning the following election. He would've made a better PM than Abbott for sure.
    Howard wanted to be the longest running prime minister, that's why he wouldn't retire. Selfish! Personally, I'd love Malcolm Turnbull instead of Abbott but the Liberal party were all "What? You're not a prat about things like gay marriage and you think global warming is a problem? NOPE! Tony, take over!".

Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Yep. If the formula ad people wanted to show we're all united then they should have gone with "we may have different beliefs but one thing we all agree upon is that TA got it wrong" as their tagline.
    This made me laugh! 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that Malcolm Turnbull or Julie Bishop would have been so much better. (Or even better - Peter Costello).

Whoever follows after TA is going to look great by comparison. He's really set the bar low.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Whoever follows after TA is going to look great by comparison. He's really set the bar low.
    Ditto for Labor and whoever becomes PM for them after Julia Gillard. 😉

Wow...Australia really has had a bad run of crappy PMs!!! 😱

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    I'm not even sure how TA is bestowing knighthood on anybody. I always thought the reigning monarch was the only one that could.
    Abbott reintroduced knight and dame honours in May last year. They were first introduced in the Fraser government in the 70s, then discontinued by the Hawke government in 1986.

Mr Abbott said the honour would be extended to Australians of "extraordinary and pre-eminent achievement and merit".
    (SMH link)

After some contemplation it almost makes sense to me that TA has awarded Prince Phillip a knighthood, they seem to share some beliefs. Let's look at a few quotes from them:

On Indigenous Australians and their Heritage

Abbott (Nov 2014) -During a breakfast for British prime minister David Cameron in Sydney this morning, Mr Abbott made a speech about infrastructure and noted the "extraordinary partnership" between the two countries since the arrival of the First Fleet in 1788. "As we look around this glorious city, as we see the extraordinary development, it's hard to think that back in 1788 it was nothing but bush," Mr Abbott said. (link)
    Um, no, there was a thriving population with the longest continuous culture the world has ever known. Just because they didn't have roads and buildings doesn't mean they don't count and they are less of human being.

Prince Phillip - During a visit to Australia in 2002 asked William Brin, an Aboriginal leader, "do you still throw spears at each other?"

On Women

Abbott: where to start?!!

Prince Philip - Said to a woman solicitor in a royal reception line, "I thought it was against the law these days for women to solicit".

or

"You're not wearing mink knickers, are you?" Philip charms fashion writer Serena French at a World Wildlife Fund gathering in 1993.

I'm sure there's more but it's story time here...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its like something out of Blackadder...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (26-01-2015),Busy-Bee  (26-01-2015),HappyBovinexx  (26-01-2015),snowqu33n  (26-01-2015)