+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I once had three completely random children come to one of DD's birthdays. It turned out that they were staying with their grandparents at the caravan park and when Nan and Pop had an arvo nap the kids just wandered off looking for something to do!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I once had three completely random children come to one of DD's birthdays. It turned out that they were staying with their grandparents at the caravan park and when Nan and Pop had an arvo nap the kids just wandered off looking for something to do!
    The glee of those children when they realised what they had stumbled upon! Did you let them stay or send them packing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am also a bit suprised at how upset people get over siblings coming along. My kids are young enough that this hasnt been an issue yet, they have always all been invited to parties, but i would think that if parents are expected to stay at the party, what is the problem with siblings? If kids are old enough to be dropped off & left there,then siblings should leave with the parent. I find it a bit sad that younger siblings are expected to 'keep away' from the party & expected to stay away from the fun & food. And what are people putting in lolly bags that they cant make a few extra?! I always just put in a few lollies and maybe some stickers or bubbles, it would be very little cost or hassle to make extra. Same as food, we choose really simple things because thats what the kids seem to eat most, so im happy to cut up a bit extra fruit & grab an extra bag of lollies & chips if it means a little sibling can have something to eat. We always have so much food anyway. I get the extra cost of entrance fees, etc. but would expect most parents would pay for siblings. Our parties are so casual and relaxed, i think the more the merrier - parents get so 'intense' about having the perfect party these days, we forget that its just about kids having a bit of fun. As i said, my kids are young, so maybe im a bit naive, but i would think that by the time a kid is old enough that they dont want little siblings hanging around, parents would be not staying at the party anyway & would take little siblings with them.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (27-01-2015),Gentoo  (26-01-2015),gizmo  (26-01-2015),KitiK  (26-01-2015),MissMuppet  (26-01-2015),Wise Enough  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We usually write on the invite "for catering purposes please advise if you are staying or dropping off". I don't make make extra party bags for siblings but I do make sure there is some extra food for them.

These parties have been at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ... i am also from the country, & it seems like country people tend to be more relaxed & hospitable when it comes to this sort of thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    ... i am also from the country, & it seems like country people tend to be more relaxed & hospitable when it comes to this sort of thing.
    Probably true. I have only had one party at home and the rest of the parties have been out at a venue where it costs about $33-$35 per child. Very few venues, where I live, allow you to take your own food and my lolly bags/boxes only have 2 lollies and the rest is made up of little toys, balloons, tattoos. I estimate each lolly bag/box would cost me about $4. There would be loud grumbles from the parents if I put in more lollies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    The glee of those children when they realised what they had stumbled upon! Did you let them stay or send them packing?
    Once I figured out where they were from, I asked DH to walk them back to the caravan park to let the Grandparents know where they were because I didn't want them to be freaking out that they'd lost them and then DH invited not only the kids back to the party but he brought Nan and Pop back to have some cake too! It was pretty funny looking back on it and the kids were very sweet

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we have a party at home I have no problem with siblings and parents staying. I've never not had a parent say if they were bringing extra kids.

Again when its a paid activity - no problem with the siblings being there - but I dont expect to have to pay for them. I am stunned that the PP got asked to pay for 20 extra kids. I would have been really cross. Most party places charge 18-20 per kids - thats an extra $400.

When my kids go to parties - if Im stuck with having to take both - the other knows they arent part of the party. I always pay their way in.

The dump and run factor seems to kick in around grade 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The problem is not siblings coming.
    The problem is parents not letting the host know that there will be extra guests.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (28-01-2015),Gothel  (28-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    The problem is not siblings coming.
    The problem is parents not letting the host know that there will be extra guests.
    There are several hubbers who have referred to requests of 'no siblings please'

So obviously some people do have a problem with siblings coming, even if they do pay their own way.