+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashfirst View Post
    Thanks for your replies, I will leave the invite as is.
    I don't mind people staying or bringing siblings, I understand how hard it is sometimes. We are in a mining area, so lots of people don't have family here and dhs work weekends. I might just do up some little spare goodie bags just in case. Hopefully when people RSVP they will ask or let us know.
    Sounds lovely Where I live, most people have no option but to bring siblings or they can't attend so I always put "Siblings and parents welcome" on the bottom of the invitation and 99% of the time when people RSVP they always say how many they're bringing. I do always make some extra party bags though just in case (then I get to eat them later if they aren't needed so it's win win )

Thanks
    Reviews
    At some of dss parties there were siblings that showed up (once at a fun park the other time at mcdonalds) the parents didn't tell me beforehand but I didn't mind, the parents were more than happy to pay for their own child and didn't expect cake or a lollie bag for the extra children, I always offered cake and a lollie bag if I had enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I once had a parent turn up to maccas party with her 4 kids (only 1 invited) and she took off leaving me with all 4 kids the youngest one still in nappies. She rocked up 3 hours later. It has been the one and only time siblings have ever been a problem. In the combined 63 kids parties.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    I have to say, I am blown away by the attitude of some people towards siblings, and really very disappointed.

My DH works shift work. I often have to take my younger child to parties. When I RSVP I always let the parents know, as well as telling them not to cater for her as I will bring food. If it's a paid centre, I always make it clear that I will pay. I would never expect a party bag for her, although most of the parties we have been to they have provided them anyway, which has been very thoughtful.

I suspect the people who don't like siblings to come, more than likely have the luxury of alternate care for their own younger children....... Not all of us have this luxury.
    I think it's a cost thing. If you provided a party for say 20 invited guests and then 20 uninvited siblings turn up it's stressful for the host. You feel uncomfortable and on the spot when you haven't paid for uninvited guests,don't have enough food or haven't got extra lolly bags. Quite frankly as a host it's not really my issue if a parent doesn't have extra babysitting. I really don't understand the selfishness of some people.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (26-01-2015),LaDiDah  (26-01-2015),New Hope  (26-01-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (26-01-2015),~ElectricPink~  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    I once had a parent turn up to maccas party with her 4 kids (only 1 invited) and she took off leaving me with all 4 kids the youngest one still in nappies. She rocked up 3 hours later. It has been the one and only time siblings have ever been a problem. In the combined 63 kids parties.
    Wow. How totally rude.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh man, I am just starting to enter the age group for kids parties. I can't believe some parents bring siblings unannounced and expect them to be paid/catered for! So rude!

I don't have easy access to babysitters, we don't have family close enough to just pop in to babysit for a couple of hours. I wouldn't expect a parent to cater for my other child just because my circumstances make it a little tricky at times. It's impossible to factor in everyone's personal situations.

If DD got invited to a party and DH was away or working, and I wasn't allowed to take DS, we just wouldn't go. No hard feelings, no issues, DD will learn that you can't always go to everything and it's ok to miss out sometimes. When I host parties I will probably say that parents are welcome and to let me know if they need to bring siblings, similar to how Elijah's Mum does it. When the kids get to the age where parents don't need to stick around I'll probably expect that siblings don't come.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have to say, I am blown away by the attitude of some people towards siblings, and really very disappointed.

My DH works shift work. I often have to take my younger child to parties. When I RSVP I always let the parents know, as well as telling them not to cater for her as I will bring food. If it's a paid centre, I always make it clear that I will pay. I would never expect a party bag for her, although most of the parties we have been to they have provided them anyway, which has been very thoughtful.

I suspect the people who don't like siblings to come, more than likely have the luxury of alternate care for their own younger children....... Not all of us have this luxury.
    I have no alternate care and I don't like uninvited siblings to attend parties. If a parent rsvp's and says they need to bring another child or two then fair enough but to just rock up with them is rude. Also I'm sure many invited siblings don't want their uninvited sibling/s joining in. That's their special time with their friends. I drop and go now but if I wait around I ensure dd is playing somewhere else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    I have no alternate care and I don't like uninvited siblings to attend parties. If a parent rsvp's and says they need to bring another child or two then fair enough but to just rock up with them is rude. Also I'm sure many invited siblings don't want their uninvited sibling/s joining in. That's their special time with their friends. I drop and go now but if I wait around I ensure dd is playing somewhere else.
    I agree. To just rock up with them is rude. Host shouldn't be expected to pay for siblings who aren't invited. I don't think anyone here is saying that they should.

However, I think if you notify the host that you need to bring them, and you don't expect them to cater for them and they aren't out of pocket in any way, I don't see the big deal.

I guess I'm just thankful that, in my area, being accommodating of siblings is the norm.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gizmo For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (26-01-2015),KitiK  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Meh. I'm a single parent, and even when I wasn't, I may as well have been IYKWIM. So I've always had 3 kids in tow. And I don't like siblings at parties, except if they're little and can stay 'out' of the party as much as possible.

Depending on the party, I do drop and run, or I stay until the siblings get too much then we go for a walk or window shopping etc, or if I can keep them out of the party then I'll stay, and if it's a really casual party then very rarely we will stay even if they're getting involved.

It's not that hard really.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Pusheen The Cat  (26-01-2015),sunnyflower  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Birthday party etiquette

I've had siblings who weren't on the invite come to my kids party. I really don't mind if siblings come but I'd appreciate the parent letting me know before the party so that I can include them. DD is having a big party this year and I'll be asking on the invitation to be advised if siblings are coming.

Most parents still stay at my kids parties which is fine with me. DS1 is ten this year so I'd imagine from here on in, some parents will drop and go at parties.