+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have had parties for ds where I always said, parents welcome to stay. Some did, some didn't. Sometimes parents would bring siblings but they always checked with me first. If it was in a play centre the parents paid for the sibling. Because I wouldn't, they weren't an invited guest. They didn't get a lolly bag either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've never had siblings stay, and at that age, I've never had parents stay either.

So personally I just would send out the invite with the child's name, and that's it, no special instructions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For this age a lot of parents don't stay but some still like to as pp has said they like to use it as a catch up with other parents.
    In regards to bringing other siblings sometimes it is un avoidable especially for mums who have dhs that work away or on weekends and don't have family to help look after the other siblings. This is me alot as my husband works a lot of weekends and have no one to look after my youngest. I have always let parents know if I do need to bring ds2 and if it was at a play center I would never expect the host to pay for my other child or provide food that is on me.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies, I will leave the invite as is.
    I don't mind people staying or bringing siblings, I understand how hard it is sometimes. We are in a mining area, so lots of people don't have family here and dhs work weekends. I might just do up some little spare goodie bags just in case. Hopefully when people RSVP they will ask or let us know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    All the invites ds get say 'drop n go party'. No one I know would bring uninvited siblings. Do people really do that?
    Sometimes people have no choice if they have no one to leave other kids with. I always make sure I tell the host that I can only come if I bring the other child though and let them make the decision. I also don't expect the other child to be included in the party, I make sure I keep them entertained away from the action!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I always put parents welcome to stay and once they RSVP ( usually by text or email) I write back with siblings are welcome - just let me know their names and ages - as over the years I've seen many parents show up with siblings and not tell the host so I always want to know so I can plan ahead!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashfirst View Post
    Thanks for your replies, I will leave the invite as is.
    I don't mind people staying or bringing siblings, I understand how hard it is sometimes. We are in a mining area, so lots of people don't have family here and dhs work weekends. I might just do up some little spare goodie bags just in case. Hopefully when people RSVP they will ask or let us know.
    That's very thoughtful! As I was reading this post, I was wondering what we'll do when DS and TBA baby are old enough to be invited to parties, if it's on a weekend when DH is on site. We simply don't have anyone else here who can look after them.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 26-01-2015 at 10:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by New Hope View Post
    That is so rude, expecting the birthday child's parents to pay (I hope you didn't) for your uninvited child. Hope these parents paid for the siblings.
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    Did the parents have the siblings with the party group? If so, wtf? I hope you didn't have to pay for them!
    Quote Originally Posted by wktz View Post
    Sometimes people have no choice if they have no one to leave other kids with. I always make sure I tell the host that I can only come if I bring the other child though and let them make the decision. I also don't expect the other child to be included in the party, I make sure I keep them entertained away from the action!
    We had paid a deposit for 30 kids, and when 20 more rocked up, the centre added them to our bill (and deposit). When we went to pay at the end, we refused to pay for those extra kids. We stated, very clearly, that they had a list of names of invited kids, which were all ticked, and if others were let in, it was up to the staff to get them to pay. Management agreed with us. The parents were asked to pay for extra kids as they were leaving, and although there was a lot of grumbling, most did. Some did not, and it was let slide.

As far as "sometimes people have no choice", there is always a choice. If you cannot find someone to look after your non-invited kids, then you ask the host if they can come. Even if you are keeping them to one side.

ETA: they later grumbled to us about having to pay, and we calmly reminded them that on the invite is said it was to a paid centre, and please do not bring siblings unless you are willing to pay for them. Some apologised, citing it as an oversight, others continued to grumble (and were not invited again). [I should point out that the parents who continued to grumble were parents of kids our two don't particularly like or play with anyway].
    Last edited by DT75; 26-01-2015 at 09:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to say, I am blown away by the attitude of some people towards siblings, and really very disappointed.

My DH works shift work. I often have to take my younger child to parties. When I RSVP I always let the parents know, as well as telling them not to cater for her as I will bring food. If it's a paid centre, I always make it clear that I will pay. I would never expect a party bag for her, although most of the parties we have been to they have provided them anyway, which has been very thoughtful.

I suspect the people who don't like siblings to come, more than likely have the luxury of alternate care for their own younger children....... Not all of us have this luxury.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gizmo For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (26-01-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (26-01-2015),kbf2plus2  (26-01-2015),MissMuppet  (26-01-2015),PinkPopsicle  (26-01-2015),tamute  (27-01-2015),Wise Enough  (26-01-2015),wktz  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My husband does shift work as well and we have a younger child. I always go to parties by myself with the kids. I agreed that people who just show up with the siblings is rude. If you had mentioned it in the RSVP, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I also tell people, not to include younger child in party. I think parties cost so much these days so people need to stick to a budget, unfortunately I think some people just expect the party host to cover the cost for siblings.