+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Study full time with kids and working??

I work 2 days a week, and have two toddlers and are looking at going to uni for a 3 year degree but would like to do the course full time so it doesn't take forever lol
    is stydying full time crazy? Is it doable?
    I haven't done study in like 8 years so I cant reallyremember what its like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your ambition is admirable, but I think you'll burn yourself out! Have you considered going P/T for the first semester to see how things go? If you discover that you're super efficient and can handle more, you can always increase your workload in subsequent semesters.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (25-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So you'd be studying 5 days per week and working the other 2 days?
    On top of your family life?

I think it's doable, my SIL did it and she was studying in the most prestigious post grad school in France. She got out second of her year too.

However she is super woman.
    I'm studying online, I have one 2yo and currently pregnant and I work full time.
    I was considering doing 2 subjects per semester, got talked into starting with one and see how I go.
    That was the best advice I received. Start slow if you can, get your feet and confidence, then if you feel like it take on more.

It's a big commitment.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (25-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah that's what I'm afraid of, that it will be too much...

I plan on doing it by distance and study at night after they go to bed at 6, but maybe it's too full on to try and do that. My sisters did Veterinarian Studies and that was full on, but then my brother in law did education and he only had to study for a 2/3 days a week.

I'm just stuck in the mud. I left child care and now work in retail, but I know its not something I can do forever so I need a back-up plan... but have no idea if I should go to Uni, tafe or just search for another job...?
    Interest wise, I'm interested in a lot of different careers so I just don't know....

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Study full time with kids and working??

I think it depends what you are studying. And also how you manage stress, a messy home, support you have etc.

I have a 2.5yo DS. Last year I worked part time 2 days a week and studied midwifery full time which is extremely full on with 2 shifts at hospital a week, a 2 hour tutorial at hospital, 2 full weeks intensives at uni and following women which took up the most time. None of this includes the full time theory we have to do as well. My son is pretty much in full time care, 2 days at daycare and 3 with grandparents.

It was full on, intense and I learnt a lot about myself, but it was doable.

I would say it is doable but you have to be able to relax in other aspects, eg accepting help from others, not having too high standards (which is how I was before) etc.

Like PP said, maybe try part time for the first semester/year and see how you manage. Otherwise you can always try full time and drop to part time before the census date if it is too much.

Everyone handles big loads differently so you won't know until you try! Good luck remember we are all amazing parents.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy Bee For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (25-01-2015)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've signed up for full time study at uni this year, but i don't work *cough* i mean I'm not in paid employment ha ha. I'll be doing 4 units and they say they expect you to devote 10 hours a week to each unit. Between work and study that would leave you with the equiv of a 6-day week plus family time. It would be pretty full on! I don't think i would attempt it but thats because i tend to fall apart when over-stressed. You might be different.

What uni course are you interested in? If you can find a diploma or certificate in the same line, that can act as a steeping stone into a degree. Eg my nursing degree will be three years full time but i could do a nursing diploma first (18m full time) then get a years credit off the degree. I ended up enrolling for the degree but my youngest is of to school this year and I'll have 30+ kid free hours every week so I can manage it while still having some down time with the kids.

If you feel you want to study and increase your options, good on you, go for it, but first think about how many hours you can spare a week then look for something with that kind of study load.

Thanks
    Reviews
    lol I really can't handle a messy house so I'm screwed! lol

that's another aspect that is hard, my girls only go 2 days a week to daycare and I don't really have family to look after them on any other days so I would have to rely on doing it when they are here or at night...

oh I wish someone knew what I should do and just tell me! lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is doable. I don't cope with stress overly well and I'm freaking over 2 units of study and 2 days teaching plus my toddler and 2 step kids in between.
    if you can focus on the end goal then anything is possible though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to acerbaby For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (25-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I studied part time with two young kids and it was incredibly rough. The last year I also worked part time. The studying at night sounds like it would be okay, but in reality it gets really tough to sustain that. At the end of the day you're exhausted, the kids are finally asleep and now you're facing a long night finishing off an assignment when all you want to is rest and recuperate.

Don't get me wrong, its definitely do-able, but its tough, and relentless. And I was only doing part time!

I think it does depend on what your course is. Mine had lots of reading, lots of research and lots assignments.

My advice is - start off full time but make a note of when the HELP census date is on your calendar/diary. If the full time load looks like its going to be overwhelming then drop down to part time before the census date passes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (25-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    It definitely is doable. I started uni last year and have met other mother's studying FT with kids, some working as well.
    For me, I was terrified of the prospect of FT study. Well actually study at a university level scared the sh!t out of me! So I started off PT doing 2 subjects which i did ok at (Achieved a HD and a credit), then in the 2nd semester I uped to FT hours. It was tough and my result weren't as good as first semester. I have no support and a child with additional needs so I guess that adds to the stress and limits my study hours but I still got through it. I work as well, usually 2-3 days as well.
    I honestly think starting off small is the way to go. Two subjects in the first semester and see how you go, then maybe up it to 3 or even 4 if you think it's doable.
    Also is it possible to do subjects during the summer school period? It may be possible to do a 75% study load and pick up the other subjects then and still graduate with the FT students.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (25-01-2015)