+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Another age gap question!

My first two kids are 20 months apart (turning 5 in May and 3 in February). They are a very tight little unit,they fight a bit but they also play with each other almost all day, share a room etc.

I'm starting to think I've left the run to have a third too late. I recently had a miscarriage and due to some upcoming travel I have to time any other pregnancy carefully. I am also rapidly heading towards 36.

So, do you have any thoughts on having a 5.5 year old, a 4 year old a newborn?

I'm imagining that as they get older the youngest would largely be left out a lot? Or do the older ones incorporate the younger one?

I know as an adult age does not matter so much, and as a baby having older kids would be beneficial, but I'm trying to imagine the preschool/school times, holidays and just picturing the youngest one being thought of as a pest.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have a 4 year year gap and LOVE it. I only have 2 though. We will likely have another similar age gap. I think you adapt regardless.

Thanks
    Reviews

For me I have 6 1/2 yo & 4 1/2yo girls and a newborn son! Love the big gap! Sooooo much easier having them being able do things for them selfs!

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I had a 22 month gap between dd1 and dd2 and then 4y 11m between dd2 and dd3 it was fine they all get along great :-) of course dd3 is a pest at times and torments them and gets into there stuff at times but it's all part of having siblings :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have similar age gap between my first 2 and they are really the best of friends. Number 3 is 4 months old and this gap is just over 3 yrs, so maybe a little less. There are advantages to the bigger gap, you are less caught up with the older 2 and can devote more time to the baby.
    At the moment my older two totally dote over baby and whenever he's awake they want to play with him, even though he doesn't do much yet. I'm usually telling them to leave him alone! Not sure how it will go when they're older.
    My older sister is 4 years older than me and we did a lot of stuff together growing up, more than my brither who was 2 years older, But I have a brother who is 6 years older and that always felt like he was much older, was starting high school when I was starting primary school etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have a 6 and a half year old and a 5 and a half month old. My eldest is brilliant with his little brother. Always trying to amuse him. At times, he is a little suffocating for the baby. It's lovely to have one at home and one is school. My eldest is self sufficient aswell, so that makes life a lot easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou, some good food for thought

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We will have a 4 year age gap when #2 comes along. I've wondered what a big gap would be like as we always hoped to have a much smaller gap.

So it's interesting to read these replies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We will have a 7+ year gap if we have a baby... We don't care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 4yr 9m gap between my two and I LOVE it. My son adore his baby sister and in the 10 months she has been alive he has never said a bad word against her. There is zero jealousy, he doesn't get annoyed at her demolishing his games/pulling his hair/slobbering on his toys. She can literally do no wrong. And her face when she sees him every morning just melts my heart.

We are probably having a third with a smaller gap, but only so we don't draw the baby days out too long.