+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default YOU (yes YOU!) need to watch this!

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    No I was referring to the reactions on social media. I believe it didn't matter what the ad was about or the message. Some bfers would hate it no matter what bc of their preconceived ideas about formula companies. As I said, had it been a Medela ad, everyone would be loving it for it's awesome message, which is ok from medela bc they produce a product (and make millions) for bfing so it's ok.

As to it not being about the mummy wars. I guess we all interpret things differently but that's most certainly what it was about to me. The ridiculous, competitive and sanctimonious opinions that stem from parenting. That SAHM's get pedi's, that working mums aren't 'real' mums, that all bfers should cover up, that formula mums are lazy. Of course they want people to talk about it. It was satirical but there was a pretty clear message there - we need to get over ourselves and stop competing and put our kids first.

But it happened to be made by a formula company so it's kind of like the fingers are in their ears yelling lalalala. I'm actually a little dismayed there has been so much backlash.

So, playing devil's advocate. You don't think, if a company that specializes in breastfeeding, like meldela or spectra, made this same ad to promote a breast pump that some who formula feed wouldn't get their undies in a bunch and say they're forcing breastfeeding down our throats, yada yada yada?
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 26-01-2015 at 00:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    that formula mums are lazy
    Slightly off topic but surely this isn't a real stereotype??? Anyone who thinks that has never actually used formula on a regular basis, let me tell you! 😂

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-01-2015),HearMeRoar  (26-01-2015),LoveLivesHere  (26-01-2015),VicPark  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    So, playing devil's advocate. You don't think, if a company that specializes in breastfeeding, like meldela or spectra, made this same ad to promote a breast pump that some who formula feed wouldn't get their undies in a bunch and say they're forcing breastfeeding down our throats, yada yada yada?
    No, because FINALLY those companies would admit there's absolutely nothing wrong with formula feeding.

This video says it's okay to breastfeed or formula feed which is the whole point. If a breastfeeding group or company wished to make the same point formula feeders would be overjoyed - at least I would - (having said this I'm still breastfeeding 4 month old DS and breastfed DD until 3.5 months - but I prefer formula feeding for many reasons and will be FF DS pretty soon too)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (27-01-2015),Apple iPhart6  (26-01-2015),peanutmonkey  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    Slightly off topic but surely this isn't a real stereotype??? Anyone who thinks that has never actually used formula on a regular basis, let me tell you! 😂
    Yeah, I agree! I breastfed and I can tell you, breastfeeding is definitely a good choice for a lazy mum...just sit down and whip out a boob, no preparation needed!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (26-01-2015),SpecialPatrolGroup  (26-01-2015),White Mage  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I thought the add was great. To me its just saying people 'mummy bash' eachother all the time when at the end of the day we all love our kids and we are all parents.

I have seen enough of it on here to figure out how much it happens...circumcision, SOS, CIO, breastfed vs formula, schooling choices..and my firstborn isnt even here yet! Frankly i think i will be very quiet when my bub comes as i already know i will be scrutinized for my beliefs.

I thought it had a great message. Why act like overgrown teenagers when you all have a common goal, support eachother!

I wouldnt care who made it, as i dont have a parenting style yet. Lol

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-01-2015),Apple iPhart6  (26-01-2015),Chippa  (26-01-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    I think they mean too lazy to solve breastfeeding issues and just go to formula without trying everything (a common thought amongst staunch breastfeeders)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (27-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    No. I think the vast majority of people would say it was a great message and not even mention the fact it was from a pump company. It wasn't selling pumps or forcing bfing, you see the Similac word once right at the very end. It equally took the mickey out of all the stereotypes so as a formula feeder I honestly wouldn't care that medela brought it out. In fact I'd be cheering them on that finally a bfing company a) had a sense of humour b) were willing to acknowledge the insane level of competition and that bfers was part of that. It would take more than an ad to 'force' me to use their pumps. (I find Medela stuff really good btw lol)
    Last edited by delirium; 26-01-2015 at 08:33.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (27-01-2015),peanutmonkey  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Yes of course there would be the same judgement. It is obvious from this thread that some are still coming to terms with their feeding journeys and still harbour a lot of resentment towards the perceived breastfeeding mafia ... hardly a recipe for open acceptance.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

dee1  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yes of course there would be the same judgement. It is obvious from this thread that some are still coming to terms with their feeding journeys and still harbour a lot of resentment towards the perceived breastfeeding mafia ... hardly a recipe for open acceptance.
    You know I luv ya VP but I have to disagree (there's a first for everything ) I'm more than ok with both breastfeeding journeys and I don't think the BF mafia is perceived at all. You only need to read old threads on BH to find members who think formula is the devil or who will tell FF mothers they didn't try hard enough or care as much to push through any BF problems.

Also if there was no mafia, then advertising 0-12 months formula wouldn't be banned in Australia.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (27-01-2015),peanutmonkey  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Why must this always be said as a passive aggressive stab at ffers? I'm going to clearly say I totally am at peace with how I fed, and will feed my kids. I have no guilt, no hang ups. I have 2 healthy bright kids, one on 5 days of bm the other EBM for 3.5 months. I don't hate bm, I still plan to try to bf this time. As I said, I have my electric breast pump, breast pads and lansinoh all packed in my hospital bag.

Could it be that the breast feeding mafia, as you say, are the ones ruining it for themselves and people are just tired or the incessant formula bashing and transparent sanctimonious attitudes?

I think the 'you just feel guilty/resentful' not only lacks real reflection as to what is really going on but is very common on this forum in the years I have been there. Bc blaming the ffer who is annoyed is easier than actually reflecting on one's own behaviour and the effect it has on others.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (27-01-2015),Apple iPhart6  (26-01-2015),atomicmama  (26-01-2015),HeavenBlue  (26-01-2015),Lauzy  (26-01-2015),peanutmonkey  (26-01-2015)