+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default YOU (yes YOU!) need to watch this!

I'm going to say again that my thoughts on the ad have nothing to do with how somebody feeds their baby and I guarantee I would feel this way regardless of the company.

It's a clever ad, that's as far as my thoughts go. I actually thought it was a bit cheezy and like deku said, just reinforces mommy war stereotypes.

There's an ad that's going to air on Super Bowl Sunday about dad's and apparently it's a tear jerker. I feel the same way about it, a company pulling at heart strings to get people talking about their ad and remembering their brand and product. That's it, a company using emotion to make you remember them.

Some may not have noticed the formula company at the end but enough would have. Combined with people who read or heard about it through news media (who would have made a point to state the company's name), that's tons of new people remembering your name and that you're a company that 'gets it.'

http://time.com/3674706/super-bowl-ad-dads-dove/
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 25-01-2015 at 17:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PipersMummy View Post
    I watched it and I couldn't tell u what the formula company was called.
    I was just about to post this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OK so forgetting the marketing/formula/etc issues. I hated it. Why? Because every single person in that ad annoyed the hell out of me. I have never met a person who is really like that and if I did I would probably want to punch them in the face. I almost couldn't watch it to the end.
    Also, WTF was that woman doing letting go of her pram like that? Why did no one tell her how stupid she was and why wasn't she more upset about it?

(These were my immediate thought's while watching. I probably wouldn't really expect someone to call her stupid IRL but it made me angry all the same lol)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (26-01-2015),VicPark  (25-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    Also, WTF was that woman doing letting go of her pram like that? Why did no one tell her how stupid she was ?
    Because that's what happens on forums, whereas IRL generally people are more likely to help rather than worry about why it happened.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (25-01-2015),MsViking  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Because that's what happens on forums, whereas IRL generally people are more likely to help rather than worry about why it happened.
    Sure. But in real life people also don't say stupid things like "Someone came with their nipples blazing!" and "Nipple up ladies!"

It's not real life, it's an ad. A very annoying ad lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    Sure. But in real life people also don't say stupid things like "Someone came with their nipples blazing!" and "Nipple up ladies!"

It's not real life, it's an ad. A very annoying ad lol
    No, that was clearly an exaggeration to make a point in the ad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    But I don't think this one brought up mummy war in this thread?
    Must have missed it?
    No I was referring to the reactions on social media. I believe it didn't matter what the ad was about or the message. Some bfers would hate it no matter what bc of their preconceived ideas about formula companies. As I said, had it been a Medela ad, everyone would be loving it for it's awesome message, which is ok from medela bc they produce a product (and make millions) for bfing so it's ok.

As to it not being about the mummy wars. I guess we all interpret things differently but that's most certainly what it was about to me. The ridiculous, competitive and sanctimonious opinions that stem from parenting. That SAHM's get pedi's, that working mums aren't 'real' mums, that all bfers should cover up, that formula mums are lazy. Of course they want people to talk about it. It was satirical but there was a pretty clear message there - we need to get over ourselves and stop competing and put our kids first.

But it happened to be made by a formula company so it's kind of like the fingers are in their ears yelling lalalala. I'm actually a little dismayed there has been so much backlash.
    Last edited by delirium; 25-01-2015 at 22:57.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (27-01-2015),Apple iPhart6  (26-01-2015),atomicmama  (26-01-2015),peanutmonkey  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    No I was referring to the reactions on social media. I believe it didn't matter what the ad was about or the message. Some bfers would hate it no matter what bc of their preconceived ideas about formula companies. As I said, had it been a Medela ad, everyone would be loving it for it's awesome message, which is ok from medela bc they produce a product (and make millions) for bfing so it's ok.

As to it not being about the mummy wars. I guess we all interpret things differently but that's most certainly what it was about to me. The ridiculous, competitive and sanctimonious opinions that stem from parenting. That SAHM's get pedi's, that working mums aren't 'real' mums, that all bfers should cover up, that formula mums are lazy. Of course they want people to talk about it. It was satirical but there was a pretty clear message there - we need to get over ourselves and stop competing and put our kids first.

But it happened to be made by a formula company so it's kind of like the fingers are in their ears yelling lalalala. I'm actually a little dismayed there has been so much backlash.
    I don't know del I has a problem with the add. I don't have problem with formula. In fact I am very grateful it is widely available. While I haven't used it for my kids. My 8 nieces and nephews wouldn't be here without.

I think you would have got the same reaction if it was a beast pump add or a disposable nappy add etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PipersMummy View Post
    I watched it and I couldn't tell u what the formula company was called.
    Did you miss it at the end?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nope I would have had the same negative attitude whichever for profit company made it.

As for this add having any philosophical message, I don't buy it. They don't care, if anything they are adding fuel to the fire.
    And that's their goal.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

deku  (26-01-2015),HollyGolightly81  (26-01-2015)