+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Define 'better'? More natural? Yep. I get what you are saying but a) I think you underestimate the complexities of why women ff. It's not bc it's sexy... or easier... you cop so much flack, it's a pest with sterilising, washing, mixing. b) with respect it's not your place to put restrictions and punitive measures on other mothers bc of your own beliefs. Formula is nutritionally sound. You may argue it's not as good, but it's still decent.

The bottom line is often there is no proper information through other channels. It's like a complete information lock down, like you are asking how to make meth amphetamine lol It's all so frustrating and I feel like at 35 I'm a naughty child in the time out corner. YKWIM? lol
    I did formula feed my first because it was easier than bf.

formula feeding is trial and error, as you mentioned about your son. You got advice from family and friends. I got advice from a midwife. We don't need ads to give information. We all know they're one sided anyway.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (27-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    formula feeding is trial and error, as you mentioned about your son. You got advice from family and friends. I got advice from a midwife. We don't need ads to give information. We all know they're one sided anyway.
    Believe it or not, I agree 100%. It's the principle that gets me. I'm an idealist.. you know that Formula should be allowed to be advertised along with Maccas, and that plastic surgery clinic... and the Better Start CC around the corner despite me not agreeing with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by brooketobub View Post
    Just reminding everyone of the OP. This thread was posted by the mod in the spirit of parents supporting eachother regardless of parenting styles (correct me if im wrong @[Mod]Nomsie). If you want to argue that formula advertising is the devil start a new thread under feeding so we can get back to the positivity and enjoy a little laugh at an add. The title of this thread is not " Do you think formula should be advertised like this?"

Everythings got to be so darn serious around here!
    The OP is a mod. I'm sure if she has a problem with the way the discussion has gone she could come in and moderate it herself.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

babycake  (27-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default YOU (yes YOU!) need to watch this!

Quote Originally Posted by Alleyoop View Post
    The guilt trip for any mum who can't Breast feed.

I still do not see the point. Advertising formula never hurt anyone. There are a lot worse things to advertise.
    This is why formula is not allowed to be advertised in Australia. I understand and agree with the reasoning: (article copied at bottom of the post)

http://www.*******.com.au/why-baby-f...r-formula-can/

As for your other comment that you need advertising as it's hard to know what's out there. Pfffft! A simple google comes up with loads of sites, including what BigRed posted. It's not hard to learn what is out there if you're proactive enough to look and learn.

Nobody is saying that using formula is wrong or that we judge anyone, we've been solely discussing the ethics of advertising it. Please don't make this personal.

Eta: just saw the link isn't allowed. I'll copy and paste it.

"Ever wondered why you never see ads for baby formula? It's part of a marketing code to ensure formula remains a health product and not a consumer product.

There is a lot of debate about the marketing of baby (also called infant) formula, and in Australia it is prohibited to directly advertise infant baby formula, though toddler formulas can be advertised. There are also strict rules about the imagery which can be used on the cans of baby formula.

Toddler formulas are considered more of a consumer product, though many health professionals argue toddlers should be drinking cows milk rather than formula.

The World Health Organisation has a code of marketing practice which formula manufacturers should abide by to ensure best health outcomes for babies all over the world. This is because:

Advertising infant formula as a substitute for breast milk competes unfairly with breastfeeding, which is not subject to advertising, yet which is the safest and lowest cost method of nourishing an infant.
    Advertising infant formula as a substitute for breast milk favours uninformed decision-making, bypassing the necessary advice and supervision of the mother’s doctors or health care providers.
    Advertising of infant formula fails to achieve the objectives of ensuring best quality and the lowest cost and creating an informed public, which are among the benefits assumed to be a result of direct advertising.
    Most authorities agree that baby formula is no ordinary consumer product and should be treated more as a nutritional medicine to be used with the advice of health workers.

With the rise of social media and websites, some health authorities are concerned that formula marketing laws have not kept up with changing media consumption.

The Australian government released guidelines for marketing infant formula on electronic media in October 2012, and these state:

“Manufacturers should not initiate discussion or actively provide information about infant formula via social media such as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube or electronic forums. However it is recognised that manufacturers and importers cannot control postings by consumers or third parties on such forums which are not under their control and are therefore entitled to respond to issues or questions raised where:

the question is directed to the manufacturer or the issue requires a corrective or clarifying statement;
    the response is in the same forum;
    if a question relates to a health condition, the consumer is directed to speak to a healthcare professional; and
    includes a statement to the effect that breastfeeding is best for babies, which links to the Important Notice Information on the manufacturer’s website.”"
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 27-01-2015 at 23:46.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-01-2015),VicPark  (28-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    But then I come back to advertising in general. In no other situation except drugs, and don't get me started about alcohol advertising, do we so heavily restrict adults choices and access. If everything that was remotely harmful was banned from advertising it would be different. But it isn't. we have so many issues with alcohol yet it's everywhere but formula is banned. Can you see why ffers would be p*ssed by that?
    OK I see your point and that's where our opinions differ.

I think it a public policy responsibility to limit and put a frame around what advertising can and can not do.
    Because all they care about (big corporation) is $$$. They don't care about us.
    So yes I also think that unhealthy food advertising should be limited in what they can say and show on TV and elsewhere. That they shouldn't be allowed to find schools or other kids activities etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

The bottom line is often there is no proper information through other channels. It's like a complete information lock down, like you are asking how to make meth amphetamine lol It's all so frustrating and I feel like at 35 I'm a naughty child in the time out corner. YKWIM? lol
    This is a point I wanted to raise but I didn't know how it fit into the discussion. When breast feeding was failing for us due to recurrent mastitis (no less then 15 times) and DS failing to gain appropriate weight, I was lost. I had literally no idea about formula. It was like an underground society shrouded in darkness. I asked CHN 's and got shut down. I asked GP's and got little useful help there either. In the end we googled and took a stab in the dark with our choice. I really wish I wasn't made to feel as awful as I did when really all I was doing was trying to make an informed choice on the best way to prevent my son from starving to death. I'm not saying that I would have received that appropriate information from advertising but I think that if there wasn't such a stigma around ff then I might have found more people willing to show me some direction.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (28-01-2015),delirium  (28-01-2015),Gentoo  (28-01-2015),MrsSS  (28-01-2015),SheWarrior  (28-01-2015),White Mage  (28-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default YOU (yes YOU!) need to watch this!

@HeavenBlue I received advices and education about formula from a Lactation Consultant! And I wasn't even asking for it.
    But it was an option and its important to know what they are and what the pros and cons are etc.

Your experience shows that there is a lack of proper education and information from medical professionals about FF. That's what need to be improved.
    Advertising can't fill that gap IMO.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-01-2015),HeavenBlue  (28-01-2015),HollyGolightly81  (28-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think the problem is that everyone else is deciding what is 'encouraging' formula for other women. With DD the middies refused to even discuss formula as it was encouraging it. We can't view advertisements bc it is encouraging it. Meanwhile these women are left with no professional avenue, and often no social avenue, to gain that education. Then we wonder why so many women end up with PND and complaining on forums how judgy society is about formula.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (28-01-2015),HeavenBlue  (28-01-2015),Lauzy  (28-01-2015),littlelove  (28-01-2015),MrsSS  (28-01-2015),peanutmonkey  (28-01-2015),tazz475  (28-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I think the problem is that everyone else is deciding what is 'encouraging' formula for other women. With DD the middies refused to even discuss formula as it was encouraging it. We can't view advertisements bc it is encouraging it. Meanwhile these women are left with no professional avenue, and often no social avenue, to gain that education. Then we wonder why so many women end up with PND and complaining on forums how judgy society is about formula.
    I would like to thank this post 1000 times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @delirium we have the same ban in France and trust me, no one will judge you for feeding formula to your baby.
    You'd be judged for feeding breastmilk.

So I don't think the issue is with the advertising ban.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-01-2015),HollyGolightly81  (28-01-2015)