+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But if we can choose what to feed our older kids, even if it's junk (and you, like I use Maccas as a sometimes food so it's fine, but not everyone does) why can't I be trusted to feed my child a supplement that nutritionally fulfills all their requirements?

I chose S26 for DD bc that's what my mum used for us kids, in fact all our family used it. I switched to S26 AR bc DS had reflux and then put him on Heinz because a mate had her son on it and it smelled like Carnation Milk rather than the slightly yucky S26 smell. So my choices were not governed at all by advertising. Even if they were... is that not my choice as a parent?
    of course we can exercise our choice as parents. I just think formula advertising is unethical. If it wasn't going to make them money then they wouldn't want to advertise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's a fact that Breastmilk is better than formula for babies.

If advertising for formula is allowed, those ads would find a way to make FF look sexier, easier, healthier, and just the right way to do thing.

As long as parents get the proper information through other channels (medical professionals) then that's all we need.

While I am not comparing the products, look at what Australia succeed with the ban of advertising smoking products.
    So yes let's ban fat/naughty food advertising during kids programs on TV too

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-01-2015),babyla  (27-01-2015),HollyGolightly81  (27-01-2015),Mrs Snowman  (27-01-2015),VicPark  (27-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I just think formula advertising is unethical.
    I don't believe they would convert bfers to formula though. Only take a share of the market of those already using it or those that can't feed. I don't see an issue with that.

Look I kind of get your point. I have an issue with CC and pre schools that are privately run. I don't believe the care of children should fall into the domain of profit. I find it unethical. The bottom line is that is my stance. As I said, my choice of formula would not be swayed either way by advertising, but my view is more of an idealistic one. We have a whole range of goods and services in the world that can allowed to be advertised that can be and are harmful. Yet they still advertise. Banning formula advertising just smacks of control, value judgment and creates all the discussions going on now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (28-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    It's a fact that Breastmilk is better than formula for babies
    The guilt trip for any mum who can't Breast feed.

I still do not see the point. Advertising formula never hurt anyone. There are a lot worse things to advertise.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (27-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    It's a fact that Breastmilk is better than formula for babies.

If advertising for formula is allowed, those ads would find a way to make FF look sexier, easier, healthier, and just the right way to do thing.

As long as parents get the proper information through other channels (medical professionals) then that's all we need.

While I am not comparing the products, look at what Australia succeed with the ban of advertising smoking products.
    So yes let's ban fat/naughty food advertising during kids programs on TV too
    Define 'better'? More natural? Yep. I get what you are saying but a) I think you underestimate the complexities of why women ff. It's not bc it's sexy... or easier... you cop so much flack, it's a pest with sterilising, washing, mixing. b) with respect it's not your place to put restrictions and punitive measures on other mothers bc of your own beliefs. Formula is nutritionally sound. You may argue it's not as good, but it's still decent.

The bottom line is often there is no proper information through other channels. It's like a complete information lock down, like you are asking how to make meth amphetamine lol It's all so frustrating and I feel like at 35 I'm a naughty child in the time out corner. YKWIM? lol

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (28-01-2015),HeavenBlue  (28-01-2015),Molros  (27-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleyoop View Post
    The guilt trip for any mum who can't Breast feed.

I still do not see the point. Advertising formula never hurt anyone. There are a lot worse things to advertise.
    It's not a guilt trip it's a fact.
    Now formula has been saving a babies' lives all over the world. I wouldn't feel guilty for feeding my baby formula but that is just me.

I'm sorry you can't see my point but I'm glad that the Australian health public policy makers do see it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think you underestimate the complexities of why women ff. It's not bc it's sexy... or easier... you cop so much flack, it's a pest with sterilising, washing, mixing. b) with respect it's not your place to put restrictions and punitive measures on other mothers bc of your own beliefs. Formula is nutritionally sound. You may argue it's not as good, but it's still decent.

The bottom line is often there is no proper information through other channels. It's like a complete information lock down, like you are asking how to make meth amphetamine lol It's all so frustrating and I feel like at 35 I'm a naughty child in the time out corner. YKWIM? lol
    Trust me I don't. 90% of my friends exclusively FF their kids and I chose to feed formula to my baby from 6mo onward.

I'm not saying current FF think it's easier/sexier etc, I'm saying creative media agencies will make future mums think this way with clever ads that girls will have seen on TV from a young age.

And again advertising = MISinformation.

If we need more/better information about formula, let's look at what medical professionals can offer and improve.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (27-01-2015),VicPark  (28-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Nomsie View Post
    If you breastfeed you need to watch this.

If you bottlefeed, you need to watch this.

If you work, you need to watch this.

If you stay at home, you need to watch this.

If you co-sleep, you need to watch this.

If you follow SOS, you need to watch this.

If you are a Mother, you need to watch this.

If you are a Father, you need to watch this.

If you have a child on the way, you need to watch this.

If you have one or more children, you need to watch this.

If you Bub Hub, you need to watch this.

Please click this link if you fall into one or more of the categories above.
    Just reminding everyone of the OP. This thread was posted by the mod in the spirit of parents supporting eachother regardless of parenting styles (correct me if im wrong @[Mod]Nomsie). If you want to argue that formula advertising is the devil start a new thread under feeding so we can get back to the positivity and enjoy a little laugh at an add. The title of this thread is not " Do you think formula should be advertised like this?"

Everythings got to be so darn serious around here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The OP is about an ad that got lots of strong feedback on social media.

I assume it's ok to discuss the ad and its limits.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (28-01-2015),VicPark  (28-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Sure, and I actually agree with you. I want women to know the truth about formula AND bfing. I want women to ff with their eyes wide open not thinking it's 'easier' (it isn't).

But then I come back to advertising in general. In no other situation except drugs, and don't get me started about alcohol advertising, do we so heavily restrict adults choices and access. If everything that was remotely harmful was banned from advertising it would be different. But it isn't. we have so many issues with alcohol yet it's everywhere but formula is banned. Can you see why ffers would be p*ssed by that?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (28-01-2015),HeavenBlue  (28-01-2015)