+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 241
  1. #181
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,316
    Thanks
    1,551
    Thanked
    2,536
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleyoop View Post
    I don't get it.
    People are saying formula should not be advertised because u get the wrong idea from it and think it's best? Is that right?

    Does that mean no baby related items should be advertised in case a sleep deprived parent gets the wrong idea and uses one of these products that so many people are against?

    If u say formula shouldn't be advertised than nothing else should be, toys, bathing items, clothes?
    Surely you can see the difference between formula and other baby items?

    Formula advertising is ban to try and keep Breastfeeding rate up.

    I don't think there is a health issue with babies playing with toys or being dressed... Hence its ok to advertise for toys or clothes.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

    BigRedV  (27-01-2015),maternidade  (27-01-2015)

  3. #182
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,123
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked
    758
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    But there's a health issue if babies have formula rather Breast milk?

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (27-01-2015)

  5. #183
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    1,304
    Thanks
    2,279
    Thanked
    490
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    And here we go, ff is just dressed up cows milk that is a health risk (despite there being little difference in the health of ff to bf babies).
    This is exactly the kind of thing that makes ffers feel judged. If you haven't already go look at fearless formula feeders blog, it'll give you an idea what some ffers go through on their "feeding journey".
    As for the advertising, they are anyway, they just advertise the later stages which exist just to be advertised. Plain cows milk is fine after a year, there's literally no other point to toddler formula.

  6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

    Apple iPhart6  (28-01-2015),delirium  (27-01-2015),Hasselhoff  (27-01-2015),HeavenBlue  (27-01-2015),just her chameleon  (27-01-2015),Lauzy  (27-01-2015),peanutmonkey  (27-01-2015)

  7. #184
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,839
    Thanks
    6,199
    Thanked
    16,883
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I love Fearless Formula Feeder. She not only shares anecdotal stuff but all the research. That research was the beginning of me finally be ok with formula.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (27-01-2015),peanutmonkey  (27-01-2015)

  9. #185
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,036
    Thanks
    3,326
    Thanked
    1,923
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I love Fearless Formula Feeder. She not only shares anecdotal stuff but all the research. That research was the beginning of me finally be ok with formula.
    Wish if heard about her months ago. Might have made my journey easier on me.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (27-01-2015)

  11. #186
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,839
    Thanks
    6,199
    Thanked
    16,883
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenBlue View Post
    Wish if heard about her months ago. Might have made my journey easier on me.
    Hugs. Her strength is that she is actually pro bfing, but doggedly refuses to put up with people hating on formula, which is exactly how I am. She embraces all feeding styles.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (27-01-2015),HeavenBlue  (27-01-2015)

  13. #187
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,839
    Thanks
    6,199
    Thanked
    16,883
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    This is FFF's stance on this commercial. I think I have a girl crush lol

    http://www.fearlessformulafeeder.com...ing-the-point/

    For the non clickers:

    You’re Proving the Point

    Posted on January 24, 2015



    There’s this video that’s been making the rounds on the parenting pages for the past few days. If you haven’t seen it yet, feel free to do so now.


    Yes, it was made by a formula company. Boo. Hiss.
    Now that we have that out of the way, can we get to the real discussion?
    Spoiler alert: no, we can’t. Because it was made by a formula company, and therefore anything the video stands for is nothing more than a cleverly crafted marketing message meant to scare women off breastfeeding by convincing them that their milk is made of Ovaltine and if they breastfeed even once, they will instantly be turned into a newt.

    What, you didn’t see that? That’s because you’re naive. You don’t understand. Obviously haven’t read (fill in the blank with any blog or breastfeeding politics books here), because if you had, you’d understand that this is ALWAYS what formula companies do, because FORMULA=PATRIARCHY. Duh. Choice as feminism? That’s about as last century as Debbie Gibson.

    But wait – if the problem was simply that this is a marketing tool (which it is, no doubt; formula companies – scratch that, all companies – are not in the business of throwing massive advertising dollars into PSAs about mommy wars if they didn’t think it would do them some good in the long run), I wouldn’t be writing this late-night post, my fingers shaking so hard from frustration that I’ve had to retype this sentence three times. I mean, being skeptical about advertising, I get. I personally hate Luv’s diapers, I think they suck donkey balls and leak like my junior year apartment’s jinky kitchen sink, but I love their “second time mom” commercials. Hell, I’ve cried at McDonald’s ads and I’m a card-carrying lifelong vegetarian. But if your morals are strong enough to temper your taste in entertainment, you’ve got my respect. It’s healthy and smart to analyze the endless array of **** that passes over our news feeds and DVRs.

    The problem is that now, people have turned what could have been a great statement on being media savvy and critical of marketing messages into the same old, tired argument about why the mommy wars don’t exist, and why breastfeeding is a public health issue and therefore can’t be considered a choice in the same context as cloth diapering, or choosing to work rather than stay home, or even abortion.

    But, see, you’re proving the point.

    You’re proving that the perceived judgment among women isn’t all in our heads; that it isn’t something the formula companies and media have created, but rather capitalized on. Those are two very different animals. Of course formula companies are going to talk about judgment and choice and empowerment and all those other triggering terms in the infant feeding debate. Because it resonates. It’s simple advertising theory 101: inventing the need versus serving the need. This is a case of serving the need.

    Formula companies see the need, because women who formula feed are made to feel ashamed of their choice. If you don’t believe this is true, and you happen to be a parent, for one second, close your eyes, clear your mind, and think: If your entire Facebook feed was full of memes about how gross (fill in the blank with something you feed your child, or a method or parenting you employ) was, or some study came out that suggested kids that (fill in the blank with something you do as a parent and feel strongly about, whether it be breastfeeding or time outs or co-sleeping or taking them to church) who did this have higher rates of obesity/attachment issues/lower IQ, how would you feel? How would honestly feel, in your gut? Forget about the reality or perception of the current research, forget about societal norms, forget about all of it – just think about how you would feel.

    You feel it? In your stomach? That queasiness? The feeling that while everything you see in front of you says one thing – that your healthy, gorgeous child has no attachment issues, is smart as a whip, and is this amazing creature you have nothing but awe for – the rest of the world is entirely convinced that your lived reality is false, based on purely associative data that has nothing to do with your family or your child? That is how formula feeding parents are made to feel every day. Not by “breastfeeding moms”, which many of us have been/are/would like to be/are best friends with. This isn’t about breastfeeding moms vs. formula feeding moms. THAT, my friends, is a made-up mommy war. But formula feeding parents are being made to feel this way: by the media, by their physicians, by ads on the freeway, and by you. Yes you. The ones on the parenting pages, pretending to be so accepting of alternative choices; who rage on about how being able to choose how/if you vaccinate is a parent’s choice, science be damned, and then in the same breath tell parents that formula feeding is a public health issue, because the poor, sick formula fed babies will be messing up your gene pool 20 years down the line.

    You’re right about one thing though. This isn’t a mommy war, not at all. It isn’t the mom at the park versus the other mom at the park. (Moms at the park are usually pretty nice, actually, in my experience. If anything, they judge you more for how your kid is behaving in the sandbox than what you’re feeding him.) This “war” is run by those with power – the ones running websites, hospitals, initiatives; the ones authoring books and selling their wares under the impenetrable armor of a PhD or MD (because no one with a PhD or MD could ever be wrong, or biased. Unless they work for Big Pharma, of course). Not because of the information they are sharing, but how they are choosing to share it. Not because of the research they do, but because they only deal in absolutes, refusing to see nuance or entertain other findings or beliefs.

    This isn’t a war, even, because that implies some sort of mutual disagreement. It’s one side bullying another, refusing to hear the other side’s point of view, denying the other side’s right to exist. For that side, the only peaceful resolution involves accepting a totalitarian regime, no middle ground. And since there’s no way to argue against someone when they shut down your right to be heard, it’s a losing battle.

    So let’s just say we give up. We’re waving the white flag. YOU WIN.

    Go on – keep shouting from the rooftops that breastfeeding will save all of us from certain death and that formula will turn our children into baby seals. Go on – tell us we have no right to feel judged, and that we can’t be mad at you, we need to be mad at the formula companies because they provided food that kept our babies thriving fooled us into thinking our IGT was real, our depression was truly only helped by ceasing lactation, and that our history of sexual trauma would be exacerbated by nursing. We hear you. We’ve heard you. Keep it going, because maybe you haven’t made that mom over there sufficiently remorseful.

    But don’t sit there and tell me that the feelings Similac capitalized on are not real. That they don’t matter. That our experiences don’t matter. Don’t post sanctimonious rhetoric about feminism and scoff at anyone who dares to question your point of view, because last I checked, that seems a helluva lot more patriarchal than a can of baby formula. And you have a vagina, so that makes it worse. Formula cans don’t have vaginas. (Again, last I checked. Who knows. It’s been awhile since I had a formula-feeding infant.)
    Or you know what? Go ahead and tell me all of that. I’m all for free speech. Who the hell am I to tell you what you can’t and cannot say?

    Just don’t expect the rest of us to listen. We’ll be over here watching some kitten get rescued by a fireman and yelling about how it must just be a ploy for us to give money to the fire department. Because… patriarchy. Or something.


    Last edited by delirium; 27-01-2015 at 12:24.

  14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (27-01-2015),Apple iPhart6  (28-01-2015),DJ Nette  (27-01-2015),Hasselhoff  (27-01-2015),HeavenBlue  (27-01-2015),heplusme  (27-01-2015),Lauzy  (27-01-2015),peanutmonkey  (27-01-2015),Silver flute  (27-01-2015)

  15. #188
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    1,304
    Thanks
    2,279
    Thanked
    490
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep love that blog and that article in particular
    She really has a way with words, says it better than I could

  16. #189
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,695
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,284
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiedoll View Post
    And here we go, ff is just dressed up cows milk that is a health risk (despite there being little difference in the health of ff to bf babies).
    This is exactly the kind of thing that makes ffers feel judged. If you haven't already go look at fearless formula feeders blog, it'll give you an idea what some ffers go through on their "feeding journey".
    As for the advertising, they are anyway, they just advertise the later stages which exist just to be advertised. Plain cows milk is fine after a year, there's literally no other point to toddler formula.
    With all due respect, 2 of my kids had formula, my eldest from birth. I haven't said formula is a health risk, but it IS cows milk. That is a fact. And yes, some say benefits of breastfeeding are overstated. But I really don't see how freshly produced breastmilk can be compared to or considered equal to powder in a tin

  17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    3bubbys  (27-01-2015),AdornedWithCats  (27-01-2015),HollyGolightly81  (27-01-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (27-01-2015),Mrs Snowman  (27-01-2015)

  18. #190
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,123
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked
    758
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default YOU (yes YOU!) need to watch this!

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    But I really don't see how freshly produced breastmilk can be compared to or considered equal to powder in a tin
    It's not considered equal. It's always (from what I've seen and been taught) that Breast is best and formula feeding is a big no no. It is however a necessary alternative in some cases. I don't see the problem with advertising it, the same as any other baby products. It's a lot easier seeing ads on TV to know what's out there than walking into a shop and seeing all the different types and brands staring you in the face and making it harder. If you see an ad and have been contemplating formula you can do your own research.

    Are companies ment to not advertise baby foods (in jars and pouches) because parents should be making them themselves because that's the healthier option?

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (28-01-2015),Apple iPhart6  (28-01-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. What TV do you watch with your kids?
    By Busy-Bee in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 27-08-2014, 14:16
  2. How much TV do you let your lo watch?
    By LizNeal in forum Babies (7 - 12 months)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-03-2014, 21:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Softmats
Softmats specialises in safe, non-toxic, and durable play mats. The international Premium Dwinguler™ Play Mats and Premium Bubba Mat™ range of floor spaces are the best quality in the world.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!