+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Probably because if they don't breastfeed, their children die. Interestingly I've found lots of immigrant women from South East Asia go straight to formula feeding and don't even attempt to breastfed. Have no idea what they would do in their home country - if formula is even an option there???
    Wet nurse?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Probably because if they don't breastfeed, their children die. Interestingly I've found lots of immigrant women from South East Asia go straight to formula feeding and don't even attempt to breastfed. Have no idea what they would do in their home country - if formula is even an option there???
    I also find that interesting. We also have a huge number of immigrants and refugees new to the country at our hospital and it's always funny when you ask them at their booking in appointment.how they intend to feed their babies. They honestly look at you like you're crazy because breast feeding for them is so normal, they know no different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely have those women as well I still wonder if the formula choice is an accidental promotion of this Western formula being better for them..... :S

Have some other women (and I can not remember which country/culture their from) that formula feed for the first few days as they believe the colostrum is bad and then put their baby to their breast and start breastfeeding once their milk is in. How their milk comes in with no stimulation absolutely amazes me.
    I was just about to say the exact same, at our hospital this tends to be the Asian women. They bring in their formula and feed from the start until their milk comes in. Funnily enough they are generally the women who end up breastfeeding successfully for 1-2 years!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting to see that an ad that is supposed to 'unify' us, has sparked the exact same debate it's mimicking. Amusing.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dee1 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (27-01-2015),heplusme  (27-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    As I said there are differentiations among states but some are sitting at 25-26%. california is 27%.

But omg at some of the southern states..... 5-6% I wonder why such huge differences between states. Social mores and generational stuff I suspect.

I still stand by my belief that bfing rates are little to do with advertising and more to do with so many confounding factors.
    America varies so much state to state with so much, some states are honestly like a completely different culture to how I grew up. The southern states are usually pretty 'old fashion' (southern hospitality etc) but also have a lot of poverty and minorities so there would be several reasons why their rates are so low.

I do agree that breastfeeding rates have so many factors to consider and that formula advertising is probably a blip on the radar.

But, I'm still cynical about that ad and overall wasn't moved by it (I do see why others liked it though). I watch Madmen. I know what those advertising people are like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    Interesting to see that an ad that is supposed to 'unify' us, has sparked the exact same debate it's mimicking. Amusing.
    I think you're reading too much into our comments. I don't think anybody in this thread has judged or mocked a parenting style. The discussion has solely been about our views of the advertisement.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (27-01-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (26-01-2015),VicPark  (27-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    Once upon a time it was "normal" for mothers with low/ no supply to pass their infants to one of the many other women in the village to ensure babies didn't starve. Now that's no longer an option, maybe formula is the " new normal " and we should all just come to terms with that?
    Normalised? Yes.

But a powdered substance that is derived from a cow shouldn't be considered the normal way to feed a baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's like most advertisements whether shampoo, conditioner, razors, makeup etc - it preys on peoples insecurities and uses lots of fancy mumbo jumbo to convince you that their product is better than everyone else's.

I'd much prefer factual information about what each different brand contains - to my understanding there's very little difference between each brand until you start to get into the medicalised ones like those for lactose intolerance etc.
    Don't think we're going to get all the facts from an ad And they're not going to list the pros AND cons, now are they?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    As I said, I can relate to all those mums in the ad as I've been there. I have 6, 4 and 2 year old and at some stage in their lives I have been the formula feeding mum, bf mum, working mum and sahm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't get it.
    People are saying formula should not be advertised because u get the wrong idea from it and think it's best? Is that right?

Does that mean no baby related items should be advertised in case a sleep deprived parent gets the wrong idea and uses one of these products that so many people are against?

If u say formula shouldn't be advertised than nothing else should be, toys, bathing items, clothes?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (27-01-2015)