+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    ok so I screen shot this from the link where they explicitly give 'exclusively bfing' rates through different states, and they are a bit over the place but often well above us.

Attachment 66270

Gahhh it's so small, it's on pages 4 and 5 of the US link
    Ok from that doc in US at 3 months 37.7% are exclusively bfing and 16.4% at 6 months. Which is very similar to the AUS figures.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Well from aba website, 15% of babies are exclusively bf at 6 months and in USA, it is under 20% so not much of a difference

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default YOU (yes YOU!) need to watch this!

Quote Originally Posted by 3bubbys View Post
    The hospital I work at is an accredited 'baby friendly hospital' an initiative of the WHO to encourage exclusive breast feeding.

Due to this we, as midwives cannot provide or give formula to babies unless medically indicated. If the parents wish to formula feed, that's fine, but the formula a needs to be bought in by the parents and then we can teach/educate on sterilisation, preparation and milk requirements.

The hospital I work in is much the same

Eta: I think I may have worded my previous post wrong. Sorry if you misunderstood. Any woman who makes an informed choice to ff at our hospital will receive education on the correct making, sterilising and storage of formula. The formula must also be brought in by the parents.
    Last edited by grace; 26-01-2015 at 21:42.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Ok from that doc in US at 3 months 37.7% are exclusively bfing and 16.4% at 6 months. Which is very similar to the AUS figures.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    As I said there are differentiations among states but some are sitting at 25-26%. california is 27%.

But omg at some of the southern states..... 5-6% I wonder why such huge differences between states. Social mores and generational stuff I suspect.

I still stand by my belief that bfing rates are little to do with advertising and more to do with so many confounding factors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well from aba website, 15% of babies are exclusively bf at 6 months and in USA, it is under 20% so not much of a difference
    As I said several states are above that. But even if we were the same, if advertising plays such a huge role the US should have lower rates than us...

Anyway I'm off to bed. Interesting discussions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    As I said several states are above that. But even if we were the same, if advertising plays such a huge role the US should have lower rates than us...

but then there would be several states below it as well, surely? I think there would be areas here that would be well above average. Indigenous communities come to mind.

im off to bed as well. Back to work tomorrow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week

Sleep tight preggy lady xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yes, many things are advertised. Clearly you don't think you fall under their spell

Formula comes from a COW. It is not normal and should not be thought of as such. It has become normalised. I can't blame people for thinking like this when they sell baby dolls in shops with bottles.
    Once upon a time it was "normal" for mothers with low/ no supply to pass their infants to one of the many other women in the village to ensure babies didn't starve. Now that's no longer an option, maybe formula is the " new normal " and we should all just come to terms with that?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

grace  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    Once upon a time it was "normal" for mothers with low/ no supply to pass their infants to one of the many other women in the village to ensure babies didn't starve. Now that's no longer an option, maybe formula is the " new normal " and we should all just come to terms with that?
    There are milk banks Women can donate their breastmilk to babies in need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    It still happens in a lot of countries and WA has a milk bank at KEMH that I've donated to. I looked into private donor milk for my third bub but the logistics were just too difficult and I was happy to give formula.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (26-01-2015),grace  (26-01-2015),MsViking  (28-01-2015)