+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    And that is terrible but I do believe that this is changing. As I said in an earlier post when my first was born in 2005 - nada but when I had my third, I was shown how to mix it, different brands to use, how to heat it etc.. etc.. in two different hospitals. My CHN also gives advice on how to use formula. I know it's my own personal anecdote and I know this doesn't occur nationally but I do believe that women are being educated about how to use formula.
    I had DD in 04, so around the same time frame and without exaggeration the middies/MHN were vicious about formula. I had DS in 07 and they were heaps better, but different hospital, and they had the premade s26 formula there.

I just want women to have education and choice, and true choice. Not loaded choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    With my first (born 2008) it was actually recommended to me by a midwife to formula feed, so my husband went out and bought a tin that they had recommended and they showed me how to make up bottles, sterilise etc. but really, there are instructions on the tin

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I had DD in 04, so around the same time frame and without exaggeration the middies/MHN were vicious about formula. I had DS in 07 and they were heaps better, but different hospital, and they had the premade s26 formula there.

I just want women to have education and choice, and true choice. Not loaded choice.
    I agree. True choice is the key and I believe education rather than advertising (where he with the most money wins) is the key.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    So I did some very basic digging and as of 2010:

Australian breastfeeding statistics indicate we are falling well short of the above recommendations. Statistics from the 2010 Australian National Infant Feeding Survey3results indicate that 96% of mothers initiate breastfeeding. Thereafter, exclusive breastfeeding rates drop off. Less than half (39%) of babies are still being exclusively breastfed to 3 months (less than 4 months) and less than one quarter (15%) to 5 months (less than 6 months).

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/general-breastfeeding-information/breastfeeding-rates-australia

In the USA:

hat’s new this year?
    The percent of US infants who begin breastfeeding
    is high at 77%. While there is concern that infants are
    not breastfed for as long as recommended, the National
    Immunization Survey data show continued progress has
    been made over the last ten years. Of infants born in
    2010, 49% were breastfeeding at 6 months, up from 35%
    in 2000. The breastfeeding rate at 12 months increased
    from 16% to 27% during that same time period.

http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/pdf...reportcard.pdf

So we have more women initally start bfing, but the rates of sustained bfing are significantly better in the US where advertising is legal. Factor that in with the fact that France has even worse rates than oz and has no ban.... and that tells me this may well be a case of correlation but no causation. That there are many many factors at play.
    Are the us rates exclusive bfing or any bfing?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    At our hospital we educate all women on how to use formula/sterilise/store etc if they make an informed decision to ff. I think this is dependent on the particular health facility/health professional though.
    Can I ask what state you are in? I'm very pleased to hear you do that, it's as it should be. But it's certainly not across the board. I would love to see hospitals keeping their bfing stance, but be mandated to provide women with formula education that sign that bit of paper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    ok so I screen shot this from the link where they explicitly give 'exclusively bfing' rates through different states, and they are a bit over the place but often well above us.

bf.jpg

Gahhh it's so small, it's on pages 4 and 5 of the US link
    Last edited by delirium; 26-01-2015 at 21:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    At our hospital we educate all women on how to use formula/sterilise/store etc if they make an informed decision to ff. I think this is dependent on the particular health facility/health professional though.
    The hospital I work at is an accredited 'baby friendly hospital' an initiative of the WHO to encourage exclusive breast feeding.

Due to this we, as midwives cannot provide or give formula to babies unless medically indicated. If the parents wish to formula feed, that's fine, but the formula a needs to be bought in by the parents and then we can teach/educate on sterilisation, preparation and milk requirements.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3bubbys For This Useful Post:

grace  (26-01-2015),VicPark  (27-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    That is what I said as well. If you give your baby any other milk substitute or solids then the baby is not considered exclusively bf according to aba

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    That is what I said as well. If you give your baby any other milk substitute or solids then the baby is not considered exclusively bf according to aba
    Yep - even though I breastfed all three of my kids, none of them would qualify as exclusively breastfed by the ABA.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask what state you are in? I'm very pleased to hear you do that, it's as it should be. But it's certainly not across the board. I would love to see hospitals keeping their bfing stance, but be mandated to provide women with formula education that sign that bit of paper.
    I work in QLD. I 100% agree with you that this type of care is not be seen across the broad. I think it is slowly changing though.