+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by brooketobub View Post
    Well there is a massive difference between the words promoted and advertised, however VPs explanation cleared the lack of advertising up for me. Not that i agree with it, but theres no point arguing.

Its ironic that this thread has become an example of the advertisment though. Lol
    How has it become an example of the advertisement? People not liking an ad doesn't automatically mean they're judging somebody's parenting decisions or that they think formula is bad. We just didn't like the ad! I would feel this way regardless of the product being advertise. The only thing that may change my attitude was if it was a charity or organization, like the Vicroads ads, I think those are amazing and effective.

I completely agree with VP, miss kitty and big red and I'm amazed that our opinions are getting turned around into expressing negativity towards formula feeding.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-01-2015),AdornedWithCats  (26-01-2015),babyla  (26-01-2015),BigRedV  (26-01-2015),VicPark  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I can only go by my experience but I think things are becoming a bit less breastified as time has gone on. When I had my first bub in 2005. I asked about formula on about day two and was told in no uncertain terms that I'd have to bring in my own bottles and formula and that my husband would have to warm them up before he bought the bottles in because "You can't warm them up here". Super helpful but with my third, midwives, showed you how to mix the formula, how to heat it, they provided the bottles and the formula and they washed everything for you and they were really nice about it too. I sure this isn't the case across the board but I do hope that things become more balanced - women have a hard enough time as it is!
    I actually had much the same experience, felt forced into breastfeeding when it clearly wasn't working with DS1 and DS2. Got some horrible comments from health professionals and CHN's. Come DS3 and he was fed formula on day 2 in hospital as his blood sugar levels dropped to dangerous levels. I chose to then formula feed him from then on. I copped no judgment at all and was supported by everyone I came into contact with, however I more put that fown to it being my 3rd baby and that I was a hell of a lot more confident in my decision, therefor I didnt give anyone any reason to question my choices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I was given very little breastfeeding advice and support in hospital and regularly asked if I'd like a bottle of formula. The midwives I had almost made me feel like I was inconveniencing them with wanting to learn how to breastfeed. So, my experience has been the opposite of many, I've felt pressured to use formula and the odd one out for still breastfeeding. But the UK has very low breastfeeding rates.
    One of the ladies in my DIG switched to formula (she had a terrible time BFing with mastitis repeatedly, not to mention a bub who was lactose intolerant) and shortly after that, she moved to the UK for her DH's work. It was such a relief to her to stop feeling judged for formula feeding and seeing formula advertised on television was a breath of fresh air for her! It's interesting to see someone with the opposite experience because of their choice to breastfeed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    One of the ladies in my DIG switched to formula (she had a terrible time BFing with mastitis repeatedly, not to mention a bub who was lactose intolerant) and shortly after that, she moved to the UK for her DH's work. It was such a relief to her to stop feeling judged for formula feeding and seeing formula advertised on television was a breath of fresh air for her! It's interesting to see someone with the opposite experience because of their choice to breastfeed!
    Yes, it's actually pretty hard to succeed at breastfeeding here. The NHS tries to spout that they have heaps of free support and what not but, at least in my neighborhood, it was cr^p. I only succeeded because I was in a position to pay for advice and help. GPs and other professionals still make me feel odd when they learn I'm still going. I've only had one positive experience from a health visitor (like an MCHN) and she was American.

All that said, I'm fairly certain their advertising rules are the same as Australia. The only formula that is advertised here is the next stage for toddlers, they can't advertise the stage one milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I was responding to your post about advertising, which I assumed was about my post that said I am against infant formula advertising, then you posted directly underneath questioning my post.
    I was questioning the sentiment in general, if it was directly aimed at you i would have quoted.

I was genuinely curious to know why all i hear is applaud for bfs and ffs seems to be a bad thing. Im planning on bfing for only a few months before switching. Given its something i have been thinking about i was genuinely interested to know why there was such a divide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    How has it become an example of the advertisement? People not liking an ad doesn't automatically mean they're judging somebody's parenting decisions or that they think formula is bad. We just didn't like the ad! I would feel this way regardless of the product being advertise. The only thing that may change my attitude was if it was a charity or organization, like the Vicroads ads, I think those are amazing and effective.

I completely agree with VP, miss kitty and big red and I'm amazed that our opinions are getting turned around into expressing negativity towards formula feeding.
    Yeh, I haven't seen this thread become the ad. As I stated in my first post in this thread, I have been the working mum, the sahm, the ff mum and the bf mum. So I can relate to them all.

You cop comments no matter which side of the fence you sit on. I have heard them all from all sides.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    This is bub hub. Anyone who thinks people won't bring their own personal sensitivities, experiences and values to the table (regardless of which side if the fence they sit on) when viewing this video is in denial. Anyone who thinks this video will be judged and picked apart by one side of the fence but not the other is in denial. Anyone who thinks this video will unify all parents - god bless your optimism but you're in denial too. God bless both booby and bottle feeders because nowdays who really gives a crap how a baby is fed, I don't.
    lol as I said, I know this isn't going to unify parents. But baby steps. Of course my experiences are governing my feelings on this and my experience of using formula has been one of passive aggressive condemnation. Even in this thread there is this air of almost infantilising women. We can't allow formula advertising bc heaven forbid these poor women may be swayed by evil formula Allow women to decide for themselves!

But I don't have guilt or resentment. And the only bad feelings I've felt over the years were from med pros and other women trying to make themselves feel superior with their punitive bfing stance.

I think if people think women that are happily bfing will throw in the towel for formula bc they see a Karicare ad, that proves they don't understand the dynamics and complexities of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    But I'm an old, bored, snarky keyboard warrior - what else am I meant to do with my day?!
    hehe me too My feet are up with fluid, I'm grumpy and sore and this topic is the one I get the most keyboard warror'ish about.

Charge!!!! *said Delirium atop of her high horse* LOL
    Last edited by delirium; 26-01-2015 at 19:27.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (27-01-2015),Apple iPhart6  (26-01-2015),HearMeRoar  (26-01-2015),peanutmonkey  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    But seriously, the point of advertising *is* to sway people to buy their product.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (26-01-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (26-01-2015),Mrs Snowman  (27-01-2015),VicPark  (27-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    lol as I said, I know this isn't going to unify parents. But baby steps. Of course my experiences are governing my feelings on this and my experience of using formula has been one of passive aggressive condemnation. Even in this thread there is this air of almost infantilising women. We can't allow formula advertising bc heaven forbid these poor women may be swayed by evil formula Allow women to decide for themselves!

But I don't have guilt or resentment. And the only bad feelings I've felt over the years were from med pros and other women trying to make themselves feel superior with their punitive bfing stance.

I think if people think women that are happily bfing will throw in the towel for formula bc they see a Karicare ad, that proves they don't understand the dynamics and complexities of the issue.

hehe me too My feet are up with fluid, I'm grumpy and sore and this topic is the one I get the most keyboard warror'ish about.

Charge!!!! *said Delirium atop of her high horse* LOL
    To me the issue isn't that advertising formula will sway a woman to choose to formula feed over breastfeeding. It's that advertising formula, or any product, and especially this ad, will sway women to buy this specific formula because they had a great and memorable ad, not because they were the best choice in regards to what a formula has to offer. There are many people that do not research these things and are swayed by advertising. That's what irks me. Not that somebody would choose to formula feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yes, but a tin of formula is way different to a magnum ice cream . Most women that bf are doing so for a reason. Bc they believe it's best. It's way cheaper. It's easier (no washing sterilising etc). A Karicare ad is not going to change that. Especially since formula means goes against all those ideals and benefits.

And even if it does.... it's her choice. It's not like formula is poison. It's a close second and babies still thrive. If there were any other topic where education and choices on women's bodies were deliberately hid from them women would be up in arms. Where is the line? Should abortion clinics not be able to be listed in the book bc it 'advertises' termination? Should women not be given education on contraception bc some people in society are catholic? Again where is the line?

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (27-01-2015),Apple iPhart6  (26-01-2015),HearMeRoar  (26-01-2015),HeavenBlue  (26-01-2015),heplusme  (26-01-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (27-01-2015)