+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Child booster seat in front of car... add anchor point?

This is a car seat question that I hope someone might be able to answer.

When we move to Australia from Europe next month, four children are going to need to travel in a grandparent's 5-seater car for school drop-off and pick-ups and some other journeys. The oldest child (mine!), a tallish 7-8 year old, will therefore have to travel in the front seat.

Obviously, no child travelling in the front is ideal, but the grandparent is not going to buy a new car, so please no 7-seater suggestions!

Legally, my child can of course travel in the front, but I want her to have a booster seat until she is 145cm tall, as the safety guidelines suggest. The only seat I can find in Australia for her height and age group, 8-10, is the excellent-looking Safe n Sound encore 10, but in Australia this seat is illegal to use without the tether (there are plenty of boosters of similar dimensions where we currently live that can be used without tethers, but this is the law in Australia).

My child's shoulders are too high for the usual 4-8 year boosters, so the tetherless Safe n Sound Tourer or InfaSecure folding booster are not options for us.

Does anyone have experience of adding an anchor point to a front seat? I understand from Britax that the Booster seat tethers are not safety features, but are to prevent the seat from being a missile in a car if unoccupied in a crash. However, I do not want to ask the grandparent to break the law by having my child in the front in the Safe n Sound encore 10 without the tether attachment.

Has anyone added an anchor point in this position, or does anyone have other car seat suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I highly doubt you will be able to add an anchor point for a front seat because of everything that would be under the car in that spot. The only other option I can think of is a bum booster but that doesn't help with side impact protection.
    In all honesty I would wait until you got here and try your child in the car, Google the 5 step test and if the seatbelt is a good fit then you can go without a booster.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Mercouri  (24-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe it *may* be possible to add an anchor point to the front passenger seat. But I'm not sure how that works with regards to the location and the child behind in the rear seat.

Untethered boosters by law must weigh less than 2kg. Tethered boosters are much heavier than this, please don't use a tethered booster, untethered. In the awful event of a crash your child could become crushed between child restraint and car seatbelt.

There are a few options for untethered boosters now. Britax safe n sound tourer, babylove ezy lift or infa folding booster are ones that inmediately spring to mind.

Untethered boosters are safe and legal to use in the front passenger seat.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

Mercouri  (25-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

We are not going to use the untethered encore 10 because of the legality issue.

My problem is that my child's shoulders are at the height limit for the untethered tourer and Infa folding boosters.

I take the point about the weight of an untethered booster over 2kg crushing a child in a crash situation. However, I feel that this is just an arbitrary number that has to reflect safety in crashes for children of a wide range of sizes and weights. An untethered 5kg booster is going to have far less impact on a 30kg child in a crash situation due to their larger body mass and height to the same booster seating a 4 year old. There are many untethered boosters on the market that weigh above 2kg for older children that are approved by European standards, and I find it a shame that there is nothing for taller children on the market in Australia. The extra 3kg, between the 2kg and 5kg weight of a seat, when spread over the body of a tall booster seat, would not make a significant difference in a crash on a larger child. Not compared with the impact of not having side protection in a side collision. On a smaller child, perhaps a different story. That is my feeling, anyway. But I do understand the law.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Australia does have some of the strictest standards for car seat approval, which does make choices limited.

You could ask on here if anyone has the same model car as the grandparents and if they have a child of a similar height that passes the checklist to go without a booster in that car.

DD is 129cm and just turned 7. She still fits in the infasecure folding booster (purchased specifically to go into the front seat when needed). Her shoulders are only 1-2cm off the limit now though.

Legally, she can go without a booster now and, judging by what I see at school pickup, she's one of the few kids her age whose parents still put her in a booster. You will find that parents on Bubhub are not representative of the general population here when it comes to things like this. Most people, unless the child is really small, just stop using a booster on their 7th birthday. I'm just letting you know as you may hit a bit of "I don't see what the big deal is" from the grandparents.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Mercouri  (24-01-2015)