+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Ok so I was having a freak out and decided to do the smart thing and google it.
    To get ds a citizenship by descent I would need to sign the forms but I wouldn't need to sign the passport forms.
    It seems really strange to me that in nz one parent can get the child a passport without the other parents consent!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyMumma View Post
    It is just ds and no he hasn't been granted citizenship by descent.

I am quietly freaking out about dh being able to whisk ds away on a mz passport I don't know about if we split!
    Other hubbers would be much more knowledgeable about it but the Hague convention does apply. I don't think it's that easy as there are NZ mothers on bubhub who say they can't return to nz with their children so presumably your husband couldn't take your son.

My husband freaked out when I wanted him to sign the NZ citizenship applications for my boys (I didn't get them NZ passports as they both already had Australian ones). He thought I wanted to leave him and take the boys to NZ. I had/have no such intention. I just wanted to make sure if anything happened to him me and the boys are the same nationality and I had no problems getting them passports if my husband couldn't sign. Also assuming my boys are ever particularly talented at sports or academically there might be NZ scholarships etc they could apply for. I could (and probably will one day) apply for a spousal visa to get Australian permanent residency and citizenship but we just can't afford it ($7000). Anyway just wanted to explain my reasoning incase it helped.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just had a thought.... If your son has an Australian passport (versus a NZ one) your husband could still travel to NZ with him so I don't think the nationality of the passport would make a difference. I think you can get some sort of travel ban/red flag if you had custody concerns and you would then have to give your permission for your son to travel. Hopefully someone can shed more light on that to put your mind at ease.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    But with an Australian passport it would be in my possession but an nz one would be able to be applied for without my knowledge. Me and dh are.still together and I have no (realistic) concerns that he would take ds away without me. I was just getting anxious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to be honest here. I really don't see why this is even an issue. By being born in Australia to an Australian mother means that he is Australian. He can also get NZ citizenship as explained previously but that doesn't mean he stops being Australian. I really don't understand why it matters either way though. Why is it so important to your husband? Why is it such a bad thing in your eyes if you get him a NZ passport? Can't you discuss it with him and come up with some kind of compromise?

I also think it's really sad that you think your husband would apply for a passport behind your back and hide it from you, when you said yourself that you have no reason to think he is going to do anything bad. Why would he even bring it up with you if that's what he was planning to do?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    we have dual passports here for the whole family (France and Australia).

I don't understand your worries. Even if you just had the one Australian passport your DH could still take your kid away to NZ couldn't he?

Do you plan on keeping the passport(s) away from your partner in a secret location? It just seems odd if your couple is doing ok.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm an EU citizen and three years ago got EU passports for the kids, but i wasn't allowed take them out of the country using them, because they are Australian citizens. I would assume the sanme applies for NZ
    Last edited by Gothel; 26-01-2015 at 07:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can see how you would be a bit stressed OP.

Still your rights as a mum don't depend on the piece of paper that is a passport.

If you were ever concerned op was going to do a runner you can alert the airports and if he try's to leave he will be stopped.

You can and should always put those kind of clauses in any visitation agreement as well to prevent any issues.

Children can't leave the country without both parents consent, which is why you read the posts on here that some mums can't return to NZ with their children.

I'm a kiwi but lived in Australia my whole life and my partner has been here for 10 years.
    the thought ran through my mind too.

Kiwis are hardcore about having crap with the silver fern on it....

Also the Australian and New Zealand embassies work well together so if you ever get in trouble overseas you'll be less likely to have problems.
    Last edited by Glittercowgirl; 22-02-2015 at 06:50.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Glittercowgirl For This Useful Post:

CompareTheMeerkat  (22-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Just to update this. I did end up getting an Australian passport application. In the end all I needed to convince him was the money factor. I had it all filled out and ready with both signatures. I have taken it with me though so he can't apply for it. I think this whole issue was my gut giving me warning signals my head couldn't interpret yet. I left my h a few days ago and he has made multiple comments about how I would feel if he took ds away to nz without me knowing. Veiled threats really.
    Thank you to everyone who posted their opinions or experiences. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    http://www.ag.gov.au/FamiliesAndMarr...dabduction.doc

You can place your child on an airport watch list to prevent your hubby from taking your child back to NZ. This will require a court order - shouldn't be too hard If you get the AVO.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-02-2015),CMF  (22-02-2015),ScubaGal  (22-02-2015)