+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Wait I'm confused so he can get a nz passport without my authorization? That doesn't seem right. I want my ds to have an Aust passport as that is the country we live in and the country of his birth. I have no issue with him getting a secondary passport/citizenship but it seems really unnecessary to make him have a nz one when he is an Aussie by birth not descent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    The Hague Convention only comes into effect once the child has been abducted or retained. Passports are a completely separate issue and have nothing to do with he Convention. Most countries only need the signature of one parent, Australia is quite rare (although I agree that both parents should sign).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by BunInMyOven View Post
    This isn't true...kids with NZ citizenship who were born in Australia are granted Australian citizenship at 10 provided they have remained in Australia and reside on a permanent basis. New Zealanders don't have to apply for visas to live here, we are automatically granted special category visas when we enter Australia to live.
    Yeah but immigration get a bit annoyed if an Australian citizen enters on a non-Australian passport.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BunInMyOven View Post
    This isn't true...kids with NZ citizenship who were born in Australia are granted Australian citizenship at 10 provided they have remained in Australia and reside on a permanent basis. New Zealanders don't have to apply for visas to live here, we are automatically granted special category visas when we enter Australia to live.
    Sorry, I was just going by my experience of having to make sure we had a visa for DS. Obviously different countries have different rules to consider.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My partner is an Australian born kiwi, he was born here but was brought up in nz. Years ago he was sent a letter from immigration in Australia to say either become a kiwi or stay an aussie but you can no longer be both.
    Can I ask, those who are saying you can have two passports as an Australian and a kiwi, have you actually got this and is this information current?

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyMumma View Post
    Wait I'm confused so he can get a nz passport without my authorization? That doesn't seem right. I want my ds to have an Aust passport as that is the country we live in and the country of his birth. I have no issue with him getting a secondary passport/citizenship but it seems really unnecessary to make him have a nz one when he is an Aussie by birth not descent.
    Did I misunderstand? Have your children not been granted NZ citizenship by descent already? If not then that needs to occur first (or at the same time) and you need to sign that form (at least I got my husband to sign my children's ones). This would take a while and a couple of hundred extra dollars. The Australian passports would probably be much quicker.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Noty For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (23-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LotusMum View Post
    My partner is an Australian born kiwi, he was born here but was brought up in nz. Years ago he was sent a letter from immigration in Australia to say either become a kiwi or stay an aussie but you can no longer be both.
    Can I ask, those who are saying you can have two passports as an Australian and a kiwi, have you actually got this and is this information current?

As far as I know DS is allowed to have both Australian and American citizenship. I know America used to not allow it but they do now. I've googled it before and can double check for you. I know (as we've already learned) that the rules between Australia and NZ are usually different though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Noty View Post
    Did I misunderstand? Have your children not been granted NZ citizenship by descent already? If not then that needs to occur first (or at the same time) and you need to sign that form (at least I got my husband to sign my children's ones). This would take a while and a couple of hundred extra dollars. The Australian passports would probably be much quicker.

It is just ds and no he hasn't been granted citizenship by descent.

I am quietly freaking out about dh being able to whisk ds away on a mz passport I don't know about if we split!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not all countries do (Germany doesn't) but NZ and Australia allow dual citizenship. Only one would be the citizenship by birth though and the other by descent. Lotusmum I'm guessing he had to choose his primary citizenship then would be able apply for secondary citizenship by descent if he chose. My children have both citizenships.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Noty For This Useful Post:

LotusMum  (24-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also hold dual citizenship with Australia and Canada, before getting my daughter a Canadian Passport I have to get her proof of Citizenship as a Canadian...
    On the NZ passport front I just looked at the child application in relation to parental signatures and it seems that just one is required... But it notes that it should be discussed with all guardians.."The Care of Children Act 2004 requires that, where possible, all the guardians of a child must be consulted when making decisions about important matters affecting the child. The parent or guardian completing the application for the child is responsible for consulting with the other parents or guardians of the child"