+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default Passport issues

I guess I am looking for some advice.
    My dh wants to got to NZ in November so his family can spend ds 2nd birthday with him. So I do the smart thing and start an Australian Passport application. I left it out for dh to fill out last night. I wake up this morning and he hasn't done it. I asked him why and his response has thrown me for 6. He has stated that he doesn't want ds to have an Australian passport but rather a NZ one. I think this is ridiculous as ds was born in Australia.
    I guess what I am wondering is can dh get ds a passport from nz without me knowing as it is a descendant one?
    I have already planned to tell him there will be no trip without an Aus passport. I'm just worried he will go behind my back and get a nz one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah he might want him to have an nz passport, but as an Australian citizen (I assume your DS was born here?) then he will have to have Australian passport.
    It's simply not a matter of want.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's not that easy to just get a passport for a country he wasn't born in, he'd have to apply for citizenship and proof of it first, then apply for an NZ passport, he has to include the NZ citizenship papers with the passport application. And yes you both have to sign it and it will probably be pretty expensive.

I'm American and DH is Australian and DS was born in the UK. We decided right now he would have an Australian passport and citizenship and we'll hold off on American as once you have US citizenship you're required to file (and sometimes pay) taxes there even if you never live there.

We first had to apply for citizenship and provide proof he was entitled. Then when that went through we had to apply for his passport. It totaled around £1000 for both. I would imagine the process for NZ would be similar.

Since he was born in OZ to an Australian parent it will be much cheaper and faster to get the Australian passport first. You can apply for the NZ one later, he can have dual citizenship so it shouldn't really be an argument amongst the two of you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have the opposite situation where I am the NZ citizen and DH the Aussie. Both my boys were born in Australia and are Australian citizens. This won't change if I get them NZ passports! Mine do both have Australian passports though. I got them NZ citizenship (by decent) and I could get them NZ passports if I wanted. As far as I know though both parents have to sign passport applications of either nationalities so you could just refuse to sign the NZ one and then they won't have either unless you both can agree on which one to get them! I can't see any reason for there to be a problem for them to enter either country with either passport. They still have Australian birth certificates so it makes no difference which passport they use. Possibly the NZ passport might be cheaper? We can't afford the $7k for me to get permanent residency and Australian citizenship so that's why I got my kids NZ citizenship. If anything happens to my husband I'm not sure if it would be difficult for me to get them Australian passports as I am not an Australian citizen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got my kids kiwi citizenship just by filling in the form and paying a fee. NZ passports only need one signature (horrible but true).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Also, if you only get him a NZ passport but you live in Australia then you will have to apply for a visa for him as well I would think. I really think it's probably best and easiest to get the Australian one sorted first and then get the NZ one sometime down the track, there's not a huge rush. I doubt he looses his entitlement to NZ citizenship until at least 18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Also, if you only get him a NZ passport but you live in Australia then you will have to apply for a visa for him as well I would think. I really think it's probably best and easiest to get the Australian one sorted first and then get the NZ one sometime down the track, there's not a huge rush. I doubt he looses his entitlement to NZ citizenship until at least 18.
    New Zealanders don't need a visa to come here and they have the same working rights as Aussies. My company employs a lot of NZ citizens and when I check their working rights, they're unlimited.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (23-01-2015),EverydayDreamer  (23-01-2015),HollyGolightly81  (23-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your son could theoretically have dual citizenship. He is automatically an Australian citizen being born in Australia to one Australian parent. He can become a NZ citizen by descent if this is applied for to the Nz government due to the fact that his Dad is a New Zealander.

I'm not 100% sure but I think he would be able to have passports for each country, if he gained NZ citizenship by descent.

Nzers living in Australia do have a visa but it's granted automatically on arrival and we have free rights to work and live in Australia. My son was born in Australia to NZ parents and is a Nz citizen by descent but will automatically be granted Australian citizenship at 10 years of age provided he had resided here non stop.

Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Passport issues

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    This isn't true...kids with NZ citizenship who were born in Australia are granted Australian citizenship at 10 provided they have remained in Australia and reside on a permanent basis. New Zealanders don't have to apply for visas to live here, we are automatically granted special category visas when we enter Australia to live.
    Last edited by BunInMyOven; 23-01-2015 at 19:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    I got my kids kiwi citizenship just by filling in the form and paying a fee. NZ passports only need one signature (horrible but true).
    Interesting. I'm surprised that international law and the Hague convention allow that.

Assuming the OP isn't worried about her husband "stealing" her children then it really doesn't matter which passport they enter or leave the country on as they are citizens of both already and have all the legal rights in both.

Lots of people have more than one passport. If you can only agree to disagree then get them both. We got my kids Australian ones as we live here and they can be used as identity documents in more situations than NZ ones. Maybe just explain that to your husband.