+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok thanks for the great ideas, ill try some.

So VicPark, should I be giving solids after a breatfeed? The child health nurse I spoke to earlier this week said to give solids first then a breastfeed.

God this is confusing. I wish the so-called professionals could be consistent & tell us the same thing, not 100 different things......

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been offering 2 meals a day now for a month and shes only just starting to swallow anything. Most of it was (and still is) on the floor. I agree with pp they need to play with it first and practice getting things in their mouth. Offer it but dont force it.
    My dd is also not interested in purees- she will only eat what I'm eating which I think is fair enough. Today we shared some quiche and cottage cheese on cruskits. The babymum mums are good because they dissolve easy and are easy to grip and get in the mouth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Sleep school update

It really depends. Some say milk first until bub is 12 months, some say 9 months etc. If bub isn't eating much I would listen to your nurse and trial at least one meal (lunch?) where you give solids first.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (30-01-2015)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would put a few soft toys in the playpen. he might not be happy at first, but if you stay nearby, and interact with him, he will get used to the playpen. my kids were in the playpen before they were too active, so they were used to the small
    area. just try for a short time each day, so he can get used to it. marie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If bub is healthy and feeding well on breast milk or formula I wouldn't worry too much about what they do or don't eat. One of my nieces, now nearly 10 years old, didn't start solids until 10 months; she just wasn't interested.

Our bub is about the same age as yours and I just stick her on my lap at meal times and offer a bit of what I'm eating. So at breakfast she has a bit of yoghurt, sometimes a bit of banana, all from my breakfast bowl. She also has the tongue thing going on where lumps are pushed out. Yes it's a bit messy. Really she's only ready for sucking/gumming on things.

Morning tea, she's usually sleeping. Lunch, a bit of egg, a bit of fruit, all from our toddler's lunch platter. Afternoon tea, usually sleeping again. Dinner, a bit of what we're eating. This evening it was a bit of fish and some apple; last night a slice of steak and some pumpkin-potato mash.

It's so much easier if you get into the habit of having them eat from your plate. Then you're not making 2 separate meals every mealtime.
    Last edited by debsch; 30-01-2015 at 20:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Heartstringz, I have literally just registered as have been reading your posts about your bubba and seeing so much of what I have been through and am still doing with my own 10 month old. My super clingy high needs baby (DS2) would only sleep on me for the first 6-7 months, wouldn't be transferred to cot or swing. When awake I couldn't put him down for 30 seconds even to use the loo, etc etc - you know the whole story. The biggest issue for me was that he is a whopper - was almost 11kg at 6 months so you can imagine how that went carrying him everywhere and holding him rocking to get sleeps (I am only 60kg). He literally lived in the Ergo but I even had to keep moving or he would be screaming at me and flinging himself around. I gave him everything and he just wanted more and more. I resorted very quickly to co-sleeping for survival otherwise I couldn't face the next day with him and a 3yo. We stopped the co-sleeping at about 7 months as I was so worried when he got wriggly, and you can imagine the screaming in the cot. He did get better (lots of work), and now sleeps with loud protest (mostly short) but at least he sleeps more or less when he is supposed to.
    Maybe I can offer some things I tried that worked and have now got us a much improved bubba (we are heading to sleep school tomorrow to see if we can get better tho). Maybe you can use these as a fall back if your settling has failed any time (or while waiting for DH to come home).
    1. We gradually reduced the rocking by holding him (or in ergo) and bouncing on an exercise ball. Blow it up big so its not too much strain on the knees. Gradually reduce how much bouncing and the time till you are really just sitting on the ball giving an occasional jiggle. I found this much better on my dodgy back and neck that standing/walking holding and rocking (and DS2 fights and arches crazily all the way to sleep).
    2. As previous poster said, I would be trying to space 2 daytime naps out and let him drop the arvo one if he wants. This has happened to us in the last month or so. DS2 most often only sleeps for 40mins for his day sleeps so its vital to space them out or we end up going from 2pm to 7pm - a disaster as you know. We can do 3 or 3.5 hours awake time now if need be. I try to not put him down for arvo (lunchtime) nap till after 1.45 so that he is waking closer to 3 than 2pm. then just another 4 hours till bedtime which is fine for his age (10 months)
    3. I would try solids as much as you can. We go snacks before sleeps as well as 3 meals. If there is one food he likes (yoghurt for DS2) give that before sleeps so you know he has something in his tummy). For our meals lots gets dropped to the dog or rubbed in his hair but just keep trying and don't worry about the waste.
    4. With regard to patting - my DS2 is way worse the more I intervene. I think he is just overstimulated so he is much better if I leave him and just periodically check in and pick up if he gets too upset. Yes there is crying which I hate, but there is crying anyway with him and it went on indefinitely the more I tried to help him.
    Finally just want to say that I'm backing you every step of the way, I feel your pain and frustration. My fingers are crossed for you as you sound like you are having a tough time and not being able to enjoy your bubba like you want. Hugs

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TwiceBlessed For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (01-02-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (31-01-2015),SuperGranny  (30-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hes doing it again. He will not go to sleep, even though i saw tired signs. Yes i accept that he might be dropping his afternoon nap but he only slept for 30 mins for his lunchtime nap today (wouldn't resettle) so i think in this instance he needs an afternoon nap. Hes been up since 1pm & he cant stay up till bedtime without a nap after only sleeping for 30 mins!

Just the day dh decides to go to the sporting club & leave me home by myself with ds again, after ive done it all week by myself, this happens. God this week ive had enough screaming to last me a lifetime, i didn't want to have to deal with it today as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did u try pushing his morning and lunch time sleeps out? Even by half an hour? 😕

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes but he only had a catnap today for his lunchtime sleep so it threw everything out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Sleep school update

Can you go over your rough timings for sleeps again? (Incl wake time in morning)

Oh and call your bloody hubby and tell him to get his **** home.
    Last edited by VicPark; 31-01-2015 at 16:50.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (01-02-2015),SuperGranny  (31-01-2015)