+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default Migraines - tell me about yours and how you cope

Since having children I have suffered with migraines that are getting more and more regular. I worked out that they were in sync with my cycle so my GP suggested getting the implanol inserted which I did, but I am still getting them 5 months later.

On the migraine scale they are quite mild. It is just a very bad headache behind my right eye that usually lasts around 24 hours but can be up to 40 hours. I don't get nausea but strong light sensitivity.

Standard pain killers don't touch the pain except codeine. My GP has prescribed Maxalon which is the wafer thingo that you let melt on your tongue and tastes like toothpaste. Turns out that I need to take both Maxalon and codeine to have an effect and sometimes that doesn't do anything. The other thing I do is wrap a towel around my eyes really tightly - not sure but these seems to relieve some of the pain.

Tell me about your migraines, how often do you get them, what medication or remedies do you take and does it work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP.

I get migraine as well.
    I have since i was about 10 but did get them quite regularly after having my DS who is 18 months old now.

I started seeing a chiropractor once a month as a prevention and that has seemed to help heaps. However if i do feel one coming on panadine and a Voltaren tablet can knock it on the head as well as a really hot shower

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tempo15 For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I get revolting headaches which last 2-3 days. They're very intense and it's been happening for over 2 years now.

They used to hit me around every 4 weeks. It's not linked in with my cycles though. Recently they have become more unpredictable and regular, which really sucks (I'm getting them more like twice a month now).

The only thing that helps is the drug Imigran. I take it at the first sign of one of these headaches and it feels a bit strange when the drug takes effect, but within 2 hours I feel headache free and normal again. Often though, the headache will return at it's old intensity once the Imigran has worn off. It's like the headache must run it's course completely before it'll disappear.

Over the counter medications like nurofen, panadol, aspirin etc offer no relief at all. The headache is too vicious.

I believe my headaches are caused by tension in my neck due to having a desk job and frequently using a mouse at the computer.

The only time I've had prolonged relief was when I was going to physio on a weekly basis, but that's just not affordable for me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh Op, migraines are evil!

*Touch wood* but fortunately I get fewer migraines than I did in the past due to hormonal in fluctuations. When I have a full blown migraine, I need to be in a dark room, with no smells as apart from the killer throbbing in my head, my eyes get affected and I vomit over and over.
    I can't take any meds by tablet form with a migraine (I can with a headache) but not with a migraine because I vomit it all up, so therefore the only thing I can do is go to the GP and get a Maxalon and pethadine injection, it's the only thing that relieves the vomiting and throbbing head.

Busy-Bee, some people get relief from Digesic, taken at and around the time of their cycle, to relieve migraine. I have also taken Mersyndol, Codeine with a calmative in it or the Doctor prescribed codeines.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I used to get awful migraines and nothing but codeine would touch the pain and I quite sceptically went to see an osteopath and after about four sessions, I was migraine free. This was over three years ago and no migraines in that time. I'd tried physio and acupuncture with no success.
    Migraines truly do suck, so I hope you can find something that helps you xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I get migraines that start with my vision going funny like I can't see properly, after about half an hour that clears up and the pain begins, soon I will be incapacitated and can do nothing but cry and go to sleep. The pain radiates from the base of my neck over my head and into my eye/s (can be one or both) and sinuses. I have found something cold on my head helps a bit, no painkillers touch the pain. This will last about 5 hours and then the residue pain (stabbing and throbbing) lasts 24-48 hours. My GP and I think that lack of sleep triggers them and she suggested a chiropractor which I haven't tried yet. I also ALWAYS wear sunglasses outside because I think bright light triggers them too. I have recently been prescribed a nasal spray to try when my vision goes but I haven't tried it yet

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TableDancer For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I get them bad.. Used to be once or twice a,week my main issue was the vomiting non stop. I ended up taking imigran nasal spray at first sign of one and I was on meds for epilepsy which they also use to treat migraine which helped a lot. Im now off all meds and havnt had one in months! I also went to osteo for I think 3 sessions before I stopped.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to slipper For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-01-2015)

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was suffering at least weekly when in my last job - stress is a trigger for me. Since changing back to working for myself I've only suffered a few a year.

When I get the first sign of a migraine I use Imigran (via nasal spray), it usually eases it enough to allow me to lie down and sleep the rest away. Nothing has ever worked so that I can go about my normal day, my vision is impaired and I'm light/smell sensitive so I have to sleep.

If I leave it that minute too late I can't do anything, I can't lay down due to the pressure, so I sit under a steaming hot shower until we have no more hot water or until the vomiting starts. Once the vomiting has stopped I can usually lay down and sleep (dark room, no noise and no smells) with the pillow wrapped around my head as it feels like I need to keep the pressure contained or my head will explode.

Acupuncture worked wonders for me when I was in Brisbane, I haven't tried the only acupuncturist here, but I'm also not suffering as often so I think I'm coping ok now.
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 23-01-2015 at 12:24.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've been getting them on and off (and regular headaches) since I was 10 (now I'm 40). There's not really a clear pattern as to their frequency, and I still can't identify all my triggers. The GP put me on Sandomigran as a preventative. Last month it was working well, but now it seems to have lost any effectiveness if had. Sometimes even Panadeine Forte won't touch the pain. All I can do is try to sleep it off in a dark, quiet room (not easy with a 7 and a half month old baby in the house).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Catzilla For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to get migraines years ago then a friend recommended I take blackmores migraine aid, the ingredient is feverfew. I took it everyday for a few months and didn't get any migraines. Since I stopped taking it I have only had 1 migraine in 5 years. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not but I'm happy I don't get them anymore. (Also I cut back on the red wine and dark chocolate which can be triggers for some people)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dollypops For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-01-2015)